Page 2 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:12 pm

I'm sure all of the crazies acting like every teacher is a groomer doesn't help.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:16 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
My school is desperate for teachers. They are taking people with a degree in whatever and then paying for their certification and master’s. In return, the teacher is contractually obligated to work for the school district for a certain number of years.  Most new teachers here are under-qualified.
Two school districts have contacted me since January.  I have no teaching credentials, and I am retiring at the end of the month.  I guess some of their student told them I tutored them in maths and science.

Their desperation was evident, in that both districts called more than once with more incentives.

I am tired of working, and I want to get away from the coming economic, environmental, and political crises here in the 'States.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm sure all of the crazies acting like every teacher is a groomer doesn't help.

I'm not a fan of that either, however, the accusation didn't come out of thin air.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:19 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I'm not a fan of that either, however, the accusation didn't come out of thin air.

Of course not, it came out of the rear-end of some far-right political strategist.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:19 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
The pay is certainly not enough, but I don’t think that people go into teaching for the money.

Heh, my brother got into it because of the student loan forgiveness, as he'd racked up a sizable loan pursuing a legal career that didn't work out, I think he was as shocked as anyone that his pay turned out to be pretty decent.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:20 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Of course not, it came out of the rear-end of some far-right political strategist.

Just keep telling yourself that, lol.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:20 pm

There are a lot of bad teachers and staff members out there. It doesn’t mean they are groomers, but it doesn’t help improve parents’ attitudes towards schools.

Where I live, there’s a huge divide between parents and teachers/administration with both sides viewing the other as the enemy. I tend to take a middle ground. When all of the blame is placed on the parents (as it is every time), there is no concept of growth, improvement, or striving to meet the needs of individual kids. It’s beyond frustrating. That’s a conservative school for ya! :roll:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:22 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
The pay is certainly not enough, but I don’t think that people go into teaching for the money.

Heh, my brother got into it because of the student loan forgiveness, as he'd racked up a sizable loan pursuing a legal career that didn't work out, I think he was as shocked as anyone that his pay turned out to be pretty decent.

My pay is not decent, but it’s a VAST improvement from the extreme poverty I’ve been living in.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:25 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I don’t think that people go into teaching for the money.
Error code 13: Data invalid.  Abort, Retry, or Fail?

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
I am tired of working, and I want to get away from the coming economic, environmental, and political crises here in the 'States.

I don’t blame you.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I don’t think that people go into teaching for the money.
Error code 13: Data invalid.  Abort, Retry, or Fail?

:wink:

:lol:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:32 pm

Obviously, money is important, but if it were solely about money, people would choose different professions and no one would be teaching.

Of course, I remember at least one person in college saying that they were going into teaching because they “weren’t smart enough for anything else.”

Education classes are mind-numbingly easy.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 08 Aug 2022, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:40 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Obviously, money is important, but if it were solely about money, people would choose different professions and no one would be teaching.
Which seems to be the way the current situation is trending, although it may never get that far.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Which seems to be the way the current situation is trending, although it may never get that far.

I am seeing some older adults switch careers to teaching because they want employment that is more fulfilling.

At any rate, I wouldn’t complain if they increased teachers’ salaries to entice new teachers. :D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:50 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The average salary for a person with a STEM degree is $87,502 ( Source ), so why be a teacher?

This is actually misleading because even though many teachers are motivated by wanting to help kids the reality is that they don't last. If you visit any primary or secondary school in your country you simply don't see "old teachers" anymore. They are generally all younger women (particularly in primary). That's because
a) males are discouraged from a career in education as they are seen as gay or losers
b) the attrition rate among teachers is high due to burnout so you don't see teachers last in the industry
c) they are often unable to pay back their student loans, particularly as masters and PhD programs are expensive
d) the salaries aren't great. You will meet ex-teachers and ex-nurses in all walks of life because eventually they decide a change in career is what they need because they are overworked, underpaid and underappraciated. Who can blame them.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 4:54 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The average salary for a person with a STEM degree is $87,502 ( Source ), so why be a teacher?

This is actually misleading because even though many teachers are motivated by wanting to help kids the reality is that they don't last. If you visit any primary or secondary school in your country you simply don't see "old teachers" anymore. They are generally all younger women (particularly in primary). That's because
a) males are discouraged from a career in education as they are seen as gay or losers
b) the attrition rate among teachers is high due to burnout so you don't see teachers last in the industry
c) they are often unable to pay back their student loans, particularly as masters and PhD programs are expensive
d) the salaries aren't great. You will meet ex-teachers and ex-nurses in all walks of life because eventually they decide a change in career is what they need because they are overworked, underpaid and underappraciated. Who can blame them.

1. I am a teacher, so I don’t need to visit. :wink:

2. I actually see many older teachers in my school and school district. We have 4 male teachers.

4. Loan forgiveness is an option for a public service job like teaching.

5. Yes, burn-out due to stress and low pay is a problem. Teaching is not for everyone.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 08 Aug 2022, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.