Thread derailment! Sound the alarms! Danger!

Page 8 of 10 [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 3:28 am

The rules make it hard for tangental thinkers.
Which is why I prefer to stay in 'random' territory.

It's weird because one of the best friendships i formed on WP stemmed from a thread derailment
So i cant say its a bad thing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 6:32 am

Danger!

Will Robinson!

Danger!

From “Lost in Space,” a TV show from the 60s.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 8:38 am

Joe90 wrote:
babybird wrote:
I'm a big believer in moderating my own threads. If I make a thread then it's up to me to take care of it.

Personally I don't mind if a person wants to take it in a different direction so long as they're not being abusive towards other members.

I enjoy how topics can grow out of topics.

This has to be something that happens naturally though and with some kind of coherence otherwise it is probably a better idea to just start a whole new conversation.

But I do get how a thread can be seen by one group to be maliciously derailed and by another group to have some kind of connection to the topic.

I've done it myself in the past. For me it was sometimes for my own amusement and other times because I had responded to a comment that had been made much earlier in the thread and it just threw the whole conversation into disarray. I have been called a troll for this. So what!

I don't think anyone here is squeaky clean to be honest.

I got a lecture from a mod for derailing a thread (or rather replying to an off-topic post). The mod was like "you don't like it when people derail your threads" and all that. No, I don't like it, but we all derail threads sometimes, and I do try not to and I will understand if the OP politely told me to stay on topic.

I wouldn't take it too personally personally. Mods are more than likely responding to someone pressing the report button so they are obliged to have a word with you. I wouldn't have thought they have the time or the inclination to read every single thread just looking for derailments.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 4:16 pm

In regards to a recent experience I had, I think they're going overboard now with trying to keep a thread from derailing.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 4:20 pm

babybird wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
babybird wrote:
I'm a big believer in moderating my own threads. If I make a thread then it's up to me to take care of it.

Personally I don't mind if a person wants to take it in a different direction so long as they're not being abusive towards other members.

I enjoy how topics can grow out of topics.

This has to be something that happens naturally though and with some kind of coherence otherwise it is probably a better idea to just start a whole new conversation.

But I do get how a thread can be seen by one group to be maliciously derailed and by another group to have some kind of connection to the topic.

I've done it myself in the past. For me it was sometimes for my own amusement and other times because I had responded to a comment that had been made much earlier in the thread and it just threw the whole conversation into disarray. I have been called a troll for this. So what!

I don't think anyone here is squeaky clean to be honest.

I got a lecture from a mod for derailing a thread (or rather replying to an off-topic post). The mod was like "you don't like it when people derail your threads" and all that. No, I don't like it, but we all derail threads sometimes, and I do try not to and I will understand if the OP politely told me to stay on topic.

I wouldn't take it too personally personally. Mods are more than likely responding to someone pressing the report button so they are obliged to have a word with you. I wouldn't have thought they have the time or the inclination to read every single thread just looking for derailments.

I think there's one member in particular who is always pressing the report button and trying (somewhat successfully) to run the show. From what I've heard elsewhere, this member has a bad reputation.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

30 Aug 2022, 4:30 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
In regards to a recent experience I had, I think they're going overboard now with trying to keep a thread from derailing.
What, one thread? Please... :lol:

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I think there's one member in particular who is always pressing the report button and trying (somewhat successfully) to run the show.
Of course, you don't know who reports what unless they tell you.
Quote:
From what I've heard elsewhere, this member has a bad reputation.
Idle gossip is such a malevolent habit, though.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 4:45 pm

A member with a bad reputation?

Where’s my pitchfork?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 4:49 pm

Quote:
I think there's one member in particular who is always pressing the report button and trying (somewhat successfully) to run the show.

Have you observed this particular member (whose name won’t be mentioned) “always pressing the report button”?

Perhaps you should stop peeking in his windows. :lol:

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 4:51 pm

I've written quite a few posts, then deleted them before posting due to them being 'off-topic'. Luckily, my filter for going off on a tangent works most of the time.

Having said that, I do find the rule to be in the 'petty crime' arena. Far worse in my opinion is trying to influence 'others' by stating that user 'x' clearly wants to be banned with such comments. I'm not sure if this is intellectually lazy or just plain vindictiveness, I haven't worked it out yet as it is usually aimed at intelligent users (not trolls) who haven't broken a rule in my opinion.

Debating in PP&R seems to be a serious game for some, and getting someone banned appears to be the ultimate victory.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 4:58 pm

People get themselves banned.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 5:12 pm

I do think some of the rules here are pretty petty. I understand personal attacks or harsh hate speech being against the rules, but some rules just are petty. I know how annoying it can get when you create a thread only for it to go off-topic, but veering slightly off-topic but still answering the OP's question shouldnt be altered by the mods unless it does become an argument or changes the topic entirely. Otherwise, if a response is answering the OP's question but isn't quite the same as the other responses then it shouldn't be down as veering off-topic, because that is just dictating what people can and can't answer and defeats the purpose of a discussion board. You can't expect all yes or no answers except for in a poll.

Starting a topic on asking what age you were when you got diagnosed only for the item of the discussion to become about kings and queens is annoying and should be against the rules.
Starting a topic on asking what age you were when you got diagnosed and a few responses were, say, by members who haven't been diagnosed but want to or something, should not be against the rules, because it's not entirely off-topic. Unless it becomes an argumentative debate where personal attacks or back-and-forth bickering is involved.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 5:15 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
People get themselves banned.

Very true, but if you throw enough mud at the wall some of it will stick.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 11:53 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I once wrote a post about someone without mentioning their name and it got deleted by the mods, so be careful...

There's no rule against mentioning other members by name and commenting on their many, many public posts on a subject, it's just the board's passive aggressive style and some overzealous interpretation of what constitutes a "personal attack".

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 12:25 am

Dox47 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I once wrote a post about someone without mentioning their name and it got deleted by the mods, so be careful...

There's no rule against mentioning other members by name and commenting on their many, many public posts on a subject, it's just the board's passive aggressive style and some overzealous interpretation of what constitutes a "personal attack".

Well I was told it was against the rules and my post was deleted.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Aug 2022, 4:09 am

! magz wrote:
Some posts have been removed.

Complaining for behaviors of other members in other threads is considered a personal attack. Adress the unwanted behaviors where they occur. Reporting dubious cases is not a sin, it results in some reports being closed without other action taken.

When it comes to how much tangent is allowed: it depends on the OP. Some thread authors are okay with their discussion going on tangents, some would like them to stay strictly on topic. We generally respect such wishes when moderating.

For a tangent to be considered a "derailment", it needs to also include considerable amount of flame / personal fights / other kinds of drama. The earlier you report it, the higher chance the thread can be rescued.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

itscomplicated
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Aug 2022, 4:24 am

your not allowed to derail the thread derailment thread ! ! ! :skull: