Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 12:19 am

The FBI/DOJ has some splainin' to do.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 1:09 am

Oh man, just took a quick tour of the right wing internet; I'm suddenly getting the urge to make sure my plate carrier is in order and close at hand tonight.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 1:13 am

I'm already in my bunker.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 2:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Republicans erupt over FBI’s Mar-a-Lago raid
Quote:
A growing number of Republicans are erupting over news of an FBI raid of former President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence, accusing federal agents of unfairly targeting the ex-president for political purposes, with some suggesting that the law enforcement agency be “defunded.”

the irony is too much.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 2:27 am

Raptor wrote:
Quote:
Many Republicans want to bring him down. They are sick and tired of his act.

Maybe some RINO's, but the Republican collective hatred of and desire to "own" the left are much stronger.

The whole RINO thing really is misplaced. The Republicans opposing Trump are true conservatives and patriots who aren't willing to compromise their values simply to get a populist candidate in office. And that is what Trump is: a populist candidate, not a true Republican. The only value he really holds is his own ego.

The Republicans opposing Trump would rather lose an election than pervert their ideals or put a wanna be authoritarian in office. I may not agree with many of their ideals, but I respect their devotion to the constitution and our country.

That said, I agree that the Republican collective hatred of and desire to "own" the left is much stronger, but that isn't a good thing. You can't move a country forward on hate for half the population, and refusing to buy into that populist appeal of hate hardly makes someone a traitor to their political party.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 2:32 am

Before I got side tracked with a comment I felt compelled to address, my observation about the raid:

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

(Trump's choice of attack for political opponents was often to push for investigation. His choice of attack for business opponents was litigation. And so on).

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

09 Aug 2022, 7:45 am

A typically measured and reasoned response whine from Trump (my emphasis to aid readability):

Article wrote:
The news was broken by local journalist Peter Schorsch, followed by a press release about the incident from none other than Trump himself, who wrote: “These are dark times for our Nation, as my beautiful home, Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida, is currently under siege, raided, and occupied by a large group of FBI agents. Nothing like this has ever happened to a President of the United States before. After working and cooperating with the relevant Government agencies, this announced raid on my home was not necessary or appropriate. It is prosecutorial misconduct, the weaponization of the Justice System, and an attack by the Radial Left Democrats who desperately don’t want me to run for President in 2024, especially based on recent polls, and who will likewise do anything to stop Republicans and Conservatives in the upcoming Midterm Elections. Such an assault could only take place in broken, Third-World Countries, corrupt at a level not seen before. They even broke into my safe! What is the difference between this and Watergate, where operatives broke into the Democrat National Committee? Here, in reverse, Democrats book into the home of the 45th president.”
Obviously, the astonishment at the idea that the Feds would search his safe, i.e. a place where people typically hide things of great value—like, perhaps, highly sensitive documents—is the best part. Also, the fact that it happened on the anniversary of the day Richard Nixon announced he would resign.

Of course the usual suspects leapt into action:
Article wrote:
Almost immediately after Trump tweeted that the search had occurred, his allies were insisting it was evidence that the FBI and DOJ were corrupt entities that needed to be gutted. A Florida lawmaker tweeted: “Any FBI agent conducting law enforcement functions outside the purview of our State should be arrested upon sight.” Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene said we must “DEFUND THE FBI.” Eric Trump, echoing his dad, claimed only third world countries hold people accountable in such a manner. Donald Trump Jr. hysterically tweeted: “Biden's out of control DOJ is ripping this country apart with how they're openly targeting their political enemies. This is what you see happen in 3rd World Banana Republics!! !” House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy—y’know, the guy who vowed to hold Trump accountable in the days following January 6 and then decided to do the opposite—vowed to get revenge on Garland. Perhaps most alarmingly, NBC News reporter Ben Collins noted that “the posts on these pro-Trump forums tonight are as violent as I've seen them since before January 6th. Maybe even moreso.”
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/08 ... ago-search

Basically, it's absolutely anything but a justifiable reason for an FBI investigation into apparent disregard of the Presidential Records Act. These guys don't just rock up to a place because they feel like it - process was followed. It's understandable that this is an alien concept to Trump.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 8:05 am

Perhaps Trump's statements indicate he knows they didn't find what they were looking for.

Because:

A. He didn't have whatever they were looking for.

B. He has whatever they were looking for stashed someplace else.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 8:11 am

In order for a federal judge (especially, perhaps, a federal judge appointed by Trump) to approve a search warrant searching Trump's estate, there must be quite a bit of justification for it.

They don't hand out search warrants like toilet paper.

Florida is a conservative state, in general. Their judges probably wouldn't be influenced by the "woke police." I doubt very much that any judge would be "bought" by a Democratic administration to approve these warrants.

They just believe Trump is a threat to 200 or more years of constitutional government.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 8:16 am

It’s wise to never keep things you shouldn’t have anywhere on your property or a place that can be connected to you.
A fox doesn’t s**t in his den.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 8:17 am

I see only that this case is being built with much greater care than either of the impeachment attempts.  This is necessary to ensure that there will be no legal loopholes through which Mr. Trump's lawyers can dump the case.  If Mr. Trump is ever brought to trial for his crimes, there should be no wiggle-room for the defense, so that Mr. Trump will be convicted, sentenced, and incarcerated before senility finally catches up with him.

But, if he is declared mentally unfit to stand trial (e.g., "Non Compos Mentis"), then that will be enough to keep him out of the Whitehouse for good . . . and for the good of the country.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 8:18 am

Raptor wrote:
It’s wise to never keep things you shouldn’t have anywhere on your property or a place that can be connected to you.  A fox doesn’t s**t in his den.
Trump did.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 8:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
In order for a federal judge (especially, perhaps, a federal judge appointed by Trump) to approve a search warrant searching Trump's estate, there must be quite a bit of justification for it.

They don't hand out search warrants like toilet paper.

Florida is a conservative state, in general. Their judges probably wouldn't be influenced by the "woke police." I doubt very much that any judge would be "bought" by a Democratic administration to approve these warrants.

They just believe Trump is a threat to 200 or more years of constitutional government.

It will be nice to know what the actual details are, instead of being left to speculate.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 8:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hunter Biden didn’t seek to overturn a legitimately-conducted election. THAT is the ultimate banana-republic move.

Many are calling this raid a banana republic move.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 8:29 am

They're talking about Trump screwing around with classified documents taken from the White House to his estate.

Don't forget----there are state charges looming for Trump, too----specifically, Georgia. One phone call might be one phone call too much.

You would think that some entity like the FBI or the CIA would like Trump because of his conservative proclivities----yet, they don't, because he represents a threat to the whole concept of these United States.

As for a "banana-republic" move, Trump and his gang pulled the ultimate attempted "banana-republic" move.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 8:30 am

Let’s say y’all’s wet dream comes true and your boogie man gets sent up the river.

1. He becomes a martyr and unites the right, but it’ll be a lot more than just tiki torches and Dodge Challengers.

2. Makes a DeSantis victory more certain. You really really won’t like DeSantis.