Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Which one should I sell my creations at?
The Flea Market 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
The 1 day Art Fair 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 10:02 pm

I'm at a loss of what I should do. I have just $54 in my bank account. Tables at the flea market are $24 each and there a feeling of Cockney Spirit that I feel when I'm there.

Tables at the art festival are $50 each and there's a larger flow of foot traffic. I'd be making an average of $10 more than I would at the flea market. It's more of a hippie atmosphere.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2022, 10:10 pm

Well, assuming you sell the minimum, let's say nothing at the flea market, but one item (the $10 more) at the art festival. That's $24 out of pocket vs $50-$10=$40 out of pocket. So at the festival that's an extra $16 out of pocket, even with the added $10 of sales. Unless your sales will overcome that difference, the flea market is better.

If I'm misunderstanding, & you mean an extra $10/hr in sales (vs $10 all day), then it might be better at the festival.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:41 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm at a loss of what I should do. I have just $54 in my bank account. Tables at the flea market are $24 each and there a feeling of Cockney Spirit that I feel when I'm there.

Tables at the art festival are $50 each and there's a larger flow of foot traffic. I'd be making an average of $10 more than I would at the flea market. It's more of a hippie atmosphere.

If it's about the business/accounting numbers, it depends on what the numbers are as to which one is more worth your while.

If it costs you $24 at the flea market and you make $100 in sales, whereas you'd sell $110 worth at the art festival.. the flea market is a better value as it costs you an extra $26 at the art festival to gross only $10 more. (Still have to subtract your cost of goods sold from both revenue totals to determine if there are any net profits.)

But if you sell $1000 at the flea market and $1010 at the arts festival, % wise the cost of tables hardly makes any difference at all so who cares, do whichever one you prefer. Although, I suspect the final numbers are closer to the first scenario than this one.

The other major factor to take into account is the budget you're working with. With only $54 in your account you could do the flea market and still have $30 remaining - enough to do the flea market again! Whereas if you drop $50 on the art festival table, you're kind of in an all-in position on one single attempt at getting a return on investment, so it'd be wiser to do the flea market where you'd be able to buy yourself twice as many chances at making a profit.

Even without knowing the accurate accounting details, it's likely that the flea market is the better business decision.

Nic na Mara
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2022, 7:33 am

I think you can make more money at an art festival, if you want to sell your own art. You can also sell there for a higher price than at a flea market. At a flea market people are looking for cheap bargains, at an art festival people are looking for art (handmade unique pieces) for a good price, but the artist deserves more recognition and thereby money for his work and maybe also makes some good contacts for future sales.