Am I the most old-fashioned person on WP?

Page 4 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Am I the most old-fashioned member?
Yes 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
That depends 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just be yourself 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 26

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 11:55 am

Joe90 wrote:
Some gender roles annoy me, like where women have to shave their legs and armpits if they choose to expose these parts of the body. If we go out wearing a skirt or shorts with unshaved legs then we will be treated like we're outside in the nude or something. But if a man has hairy legs or armpits nobody bats an eye.

Yes that does annoy me, it's such a repetitive or painful thing to do. All humans are hairy, get over it, society.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 12:46 pm

Seems maybe in good company here ... :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 12:55 pm

Joe90 wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
DanielW wrote:
People commenting here can't be that old fashioned - it requires modern tech. to post messages on forums on the internet.

Society is forcing everyone to use the internet whether we like it or not. I don't agree with it though. I try not to rely too much on internet to get me through life. I'll only buy things on Amazon if I can't find them in any shops. I watch DVDs, which requires no internet at all.

I agree. My work basically requires a network connection. I don't particularly like it, but I have to admit I would much rather text, send an e-mail, etc. than have to talk on the phone. I also hate streaming video, and advertising, and paying a monthly subscription for games and media - I'd much rather buy something once and actually own it/use it as long as I want to.

I don't have Spotify. In fact I feel that Spotify users are suckers. I have Music Player, which is a 100% free app, and I just download songs from YouTube on to it using MP3 converter. No monthly payments, no internet required to listen to songs (internet only needed to download of course). I can find any song I want.

I do pay for Audible though. I didn't want to, but finding the audiobooks you want for free is like gold dust. YouTube is crap, it's usually full of people reading out a book themselves which is nowhere near the same as listening to a real audiobook, there are annoying ads, and often YouTube takes your favourite audiobooks off because of copyright s**t.
But I do feel cheated on Audible because the authors I like only make some of their books available and not others, which is really frustrating. I feel that if you're paying for an app you should be able to download anything you want.

how do you do that?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 10:10 pm

KitLily wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Oh good. I'm fearful of derailing threads now after all the kerfuffle on other threads.

I know what you mean. I'm fearful of expressing my values after the drama I've had here lately. Now I don't know any more when I'm going to suddenly get a PM saying a post of mine that involved no personal attacks, racial slur, trolling or bullying, has been deleted.

I haven't got that...yet. But I do prefer a moderated forum to unmoderated social media. ANYTHING goes on social media, me and my friends have been horribly attacked on those.

When I joined WP at first, I got a creepy PM from a man, so I reported it and it was dealt with immediately. Unlike Twitter and Facebook etc. where they do nothing.

I've gotten quite a few creepy PMs. I've reported them all. One wanted to see a picture of me without my clothes on.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 11:56 pm

KitLily wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Some gender roles annoy me, like where women have to shave their legs and armpits if they choose to expose these parts of the body. If we go out wearing a skirt or shorts with unshaved legs then we will be treated like we're outside in the nude or something. But if a man has hairy legs or armpits nobody bats an eye.

Yes that does annoy me, it's such a repetitive or painful thing to do. All humans are hairy, get over it, society.

That gender role annoys me to no end. It's 2022 for crying out loud.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 12:01 am

SpiralingCrow wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I think a lot of people my age and older miss the politically incorrect sitcoms. It doesn't mean we disrespect the people it offends, it's just that we liked it when people could separate jokes from reality and have a laugh. I laughed my way through the South Park episode Ass Burgers. I didn't get offended at all. (Reminds me of a meme I once read: "How did a generation that loved South Park as kids become so offended by everything?")

By the way I also prefer DVDs to Netflix, and I feel frustrated that a lot of movies I want to see are only on Netflix or Disney+. I hate Netflix and all that.

You are so right about political correctness. People have completely lost the ability to laught at themselves.

I also think that you're right about political correctness as well. I like Beavis and Butthead.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 12:03 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The ability to make fun of one's self is an essential ability, in my book.

A person who always perceives "microaggressions" when none are intended.....tends to be a really unhappy person.

I agree. It's better to have a sense of humour about yourself. Many people are too serious these days.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 12:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I go back to the days before even VHS. VHS didn't really start until I was already an adult.

There wasn't even color TV until I was 6; and we were one of the first families in our building to have it.

It must have been exciting being the first family to have a colour TV. Did all of your neighbours come over to watch colour TV? Were you able to Hogan's Heroes in colour when it first aired? I would have loved to have seen that TV set.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 12:12 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I like the 1840s. I live by candlelight. I knit and crochet.
I don't have a microwave and I do everything old school.

You're still a sweet pea.

Wow! And I thought I was the most old-fashioned member here. I still feel like a Sweet Pea. Om Nom could reappear around October.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 12:12 am

september 8, 1966, a thursday evening, was when i sat in the box our brand-new setchell-carlson 25" color tv set came in, watching the first episode of "star trek." i suspect we were the first family on the block at least to have a color set of this size. it made all the colors look positively fluorescent like they glowed in the dark. this is an old-fashioned memory of a then-new-fashioned thing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 12:15 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm old-fashioned in my political views. But best not to discuss that here.

I also try not to discuss my political views on WP, but I also end up doing so. Once I make a post in a thread in PPR, I don't bother going back to that thread. I spare a lot of my feelings that way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 12:18 am

y-pod wrote:
I think there are plenty of people who are pro-life still. I wouldn't make that the definition of being old-fashioned. Now if you've never talked to the opposite sex without being introduced first, that would probably qualify. :D

I've talked to members of the opposite sex without being introduced, so I guess I could be pretty modern.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 2:06 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Oh good. I'm fearful of derailing threads now after all the kerfuffle on other threads.

I know what you mean. I'm fearful of expressing my values after the drama I've had here lately. Now I don't know any more when I'm going to suddenly get a PM saying a post of mine that involved no personal attacks, racial slur, trolling or bullying, has been deleted.

I haven't got that...yet. But I do prefer a moderated forum to unmoderated social media. ANYTHING goes on social media, me and my friends have been horribly attacked on those.

When I joined WP at first, I got a creepy PM from a man, so I reported it and it was dealt with immediately. Unlike Twitter and Facebook etc. where they do nothing.

I've gotten quite a few creepy PMs. I've reported them all. One wanted to see a picture of me without my clothes on.

You can put your PM permissions so that only certain people can message you.
You can fill in the names of your friends or trusted members.
Trolls and creepy people can't get through.
I'm not sure if it tells them they're banned or if their message just disappears into cyberspace.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 2:16 am

Joe90 wrote:

I don't have Spotify. In fact I feel that Spotify users are suckers. I have Music Player, which is a 100% free app, and I just download songs from YouTube on to it using MP3 converter. No monthly payments, no internet required to listen to songs (internet only needed to download of course). I can find any song I want.

I do pay for Audible though. I didn't want to, but finding the audiobooks you want for free is like gold dust. YouTube is crap, it's usually full of people reading out a book themselves which is nowhere near the same as listening to a real audiobook, there are annoying ads, and often YouTube takes your favourite audiobooks off because of copyright s**t.
But I do feel cheated on Audible because the authors I like only make some of their books available and not others, which is really frustrating. I feel that if you're paying for an app you should be able to download anything you want.

I don't have Spotify. I'm not even sure what it is.
I don't know what MP3 is.

I don't make phone calls or leave voicemail.
(I will answer phone calls from known friends). ^

I've never done a video chat except for business Zooms.
I've taken one selfie in my life (to figure out how it works).

I don't do audio books or online books at all, except very occasionally Gutenberg for studies.
I bought a flat so I could be closer to a University library.

I've never paid for an app.
I don't even know how to add an app or stream a movie.
(My daughter knows how, though).

I've never played a video game except for arcade games around 1980.

I don't watch TV except for a bunch of old DVD box sets.

I play most of my music on a turntable with vinyl albums including 45's.

Of course I have some technology in my life like a computer, but not much else.

I steamed fruit and veg to make homemade baby food and never bought any formula.
I used cloth diapers and knit my own layettes (booties, bonnets, dresses, Christening gowns).
My father built the baby crib and cradle with wood.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 2:40 am

I dont think you are the most old fashioned person here .I would rather live in the Texas of 1907 than the Texas of today..I think by Texas standards you are one of the very least old fashioned people I have known online due I am only bringing this you up because you asked and I think you are very modern and un old fashioned because you are transgender.We are also all using computers and I know someone who has never used a computer or been on the internet and its 2022.So I would say we are all more modern than some people.I dont think you are super old fashioned.I think I am more old fashioned in many areas than you buts thats just my personal thoughts.I really did not mean to bring up the transgender thing to be rude or disrespectful or hateful or anything.Just the thing its very radical and the opposite of old fashioned to me.Because 1950's would be old fashioned.I am more of the 1950's type than a 2020's type of person when it comes to old fashioned.However I am super modern because I think every vice should be legal and unregulated for the most part in America if it does not hurt other people.I am way more modern on drugs than my father because he thinks pot should remain illegal and I think every hard drug should legal for adults.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 11 Aug 2022, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 4:04 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
KitLily wrote:

You can put your PM permissions so that only certain people can message you.
You can fill in the names of your friends or trusted members.
Trolls and creepy people can't get through.
I'm not sure if it tells them they're banned or if their message just disappears into cyberspace.

Thank you. I realised that after I'd got this PM and changed the setting. I was shocked to get a creepy PM on a moderated site like Wrong Planet! I've had dozens on Twitter, Facebook etc. but they rarely do anything about things like that. I'm glad WP takes action.