Am I the most old-fashioned person on WP?

Page 2 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Am I the most old-fashioned member?
Yes 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
That depends 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just be yourself 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 26

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 10:51 am

I think a lot of people my age and older miss the politically incorrect sitcoms. It doesn't mean we disrespect the people it offends, it's just that we liked it when people could separate jokes from reality and have a laugh. I laughed my way through the South Park episode Ass Burgers. I didn't get offended at all. (Reminds me of a meme I once read: "How did a generation that loved South Park as kids become so offended by everything?")

By the way I also prefer DVDs to Netflix, and I feel frustrated that a lot of movies I want to see are only on Netflix or Disney+. I hate Netflix and all that.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 11:01 am

Joe90 wrote:
I think a lot of people my age and older miss the politically incorrect sitcoms. It doesn't mean we disrespect the people it offends, it's just that we liked it when people could separate jokes from reality and have a laugh. I laughed my way through the South Park episode Ass Burgers. I didn't get offended at all. (Reminds me of a meme I once read: "How did a generation that loved South Park as kids become so offended by everything?")

By the way I also prefer DVDs to Netflix, and I feel frustrated that a lot of movies I want to see are only on Netflix or Disney+. I hate Netflix and all that.

You are so right about political correctness. People have completely lost the ability to laught at themselves.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 11:08 am

The ability to make fun of one's self is an essential ability, in my book.

A person who always perceives "microaggressions" when none are intended.....tends to be a really unhappy person.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 11:15 am

I go back to the days before even VHS. VHS didn't really start until I was already an adult.

There wasn't even color TV until I was 6; and we were one of the first families in our building to have it.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 11:40 am

SpiralingCrow wrote:
KitLily wrote:
What is the definition of old fashioned? I need clarification.

I thought I was old fashioned because I don't go out on drinking binges, I don't show off on social media and have thousands of followers, and I don't work in crypto currency :wink:

I think it depends whether you don't understand "these new fangled things the kiddies are into these days" OR you just don't give an F about following the herd.

I'm not into any of the things you mentioned either, but it's because I don't give an F about trends.

Well I'm both of those: I don't understand the new fangled things or follow the herd.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 11:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The ability to make fun of one's self is an essential ability, in my book.

A person who always perceives "microaggressions" when none are intended.....tends to be a really unhappy person.

The trouble with microaggressions is, they build up. If one man shouts something rude at me in the street, so what. But by the time the 20th man has shouted something rude, it's bl00dy annoying and I get angry.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 12:08 pm

I can understand that.

I was talking more about the microaggressions that weren't intended as such. If somebody makes a rude remark, it was an "intended" microaggression. I would get rather sensitive if somebody even made one rude remark to me.

I don't use "social media" that much. I just used Facebook to find people; I hardly ever use it these days. I read Twitter things sometimes---but I don't have any "following." Bitcoin? I barely know what it is.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 12:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I can understand that.

I was talking more about the microaggressions that weren't intended as such. If somebody makes a rude remark, it was an "intended" microaggression. I would get rather sensitive if somebody even made one rude remark to me.

Yes, it also applies to other remarks e.g. my friend was walking along and a man shouted 'you're beautiful' out of his car window. Okay but then he drove along the kerb next to her continually shouting 'you're beautiful' and she had to go into a shop to escape him. That isn't a compliment, it's scary.

I agree about the unintentional microaggressions such as using the wrong word. I still call the relevant group of people Native Americans but I hear they prefer to be called something else now. If I said Native American and people took offence, I'd think that was overreacting as I obviously meant to be polite.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 12:41 pm

I understand the woman's side of it----that it could be a prelude to something not nice if some guy shouts "You're beautiful!" outside of a car window.

I do wish, though, that a woman would shout "You're handsome!" out of a car window. It would make me feel really good----and desirable.

Like I said, I understand the woman's side of it.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 1:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I understand the woman's side of it----that it could be a prelude to something not nice if some guy shouts "You're beautiful!" outside of a car window.

I do wish, though, that a woman would shout "You're handsome!" out of a car window. It would make me feel really good----and desirable.

Like I said, I understand the woman's side of it.

It's the fact that he then followed her everywhere and kept shouting from his car. She was walking and vulnerable, he was safe in his car. She didn't know what he was going to do next- jump out and grab her? Follow her home? Shoot at her? She was scared. It's the unpredictability of such a situation that makes it frightening.

You might like that...but what if the woman followed you around shouting at you, threatening you, harassing you and you were alone? What if she was bigger and stronger than you and could force you into something you didn't want to happen?

Actually, do you think I'm de-railing his thread? Perhaps I'd better stop going off on this tangent?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 1:13 pm

Thank you all for your responses. I guess that I'm not as old-fashioned as I thought I was.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 2:08 pm

I understand the woman's viewpoint on this. Like you stated.

I don't feel we committed a serious felony by "derailing."

Nope, Cockney, you are not as old-fashioned as you thought you were :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Oh good. I'm fearful of derailing threads now after all the kerfuffle on other threads.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:19 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Thank you all for your responses. I guess that I'm not as old-fashioned as I thought I was.

There are far worse things to be than old fashioned anyway :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:29 pm

KitLily wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Oh good. I'm fearful of derailing threads now after all the kerfuffle on other threads.

I know what you mean. I'm fearful of expressing my values after the drama I've had here lately. Now I don't know any more when I'm going to suddenly get a PM saying a post of mine that involved no personal attacks, racial slur, trolling or bullying, has been deleted.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:37 pm

better old-fashioned than lotsa other things.