Am I the most old-fashioned person on WP?

Page 5 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Am I the most old-fashioned member?
Yes 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
That depends 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just be yourself 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 26

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 4:32 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I don't have Spotify. In fact I feel that Spotify users are suckers. I have Music Player, which is a 100% free app, and I just download songs from YouTube on to it using MP3 converter. No monthly payments, no internet required to listen to songs (internet only needed to download of course). I can find any song I want.

I do pay for Audible though. I didn't want to, but finding the audiobooks you want for free is like gold dust. YouTube is crap, it's usually full of people reading out a book themselves which is nowhere near the same as listening to a real audiobook, there are annoying ads, and often YouTube takes your favourite audiobooks off because of copyright s**t.
But I do feel cheated on Audible because the authors I like only make some of their books available and not others, which is really frustrating. I feel that if you're paying for an app you should be able to download anything you want.

I don't have Spotify. I'm not even sure what it is.
I don't know what MP3 is.

I don't make phone calls or leave voicemail.
(I will answer phone calls from known friends). ^

I've never done a video chat except for business Zooms.
I've taken one selfie in my life (to figure out how it works).

I don't do audio books or online books at all, except very occasionally Gutenberg for studies.
I bought a flat so I could be closer to a University library.

I've never paid for an app.
I don't even know how to add an app or stream a movie.
(My daughter knows how, though).

I've never played a video game except for arcade games around 1980.

I don't watch TV except for a bunch of old DVD box sets.

I play most of my music on a turntable with vinyl albums including 45's.

Of course I have some technology in my life like a computer, but not much else.

I steamed fruit and veg to make homemade baby food and never bought any formula.
I used cloth diapers and knit my own layettes (booties, bonnets, dresses, Christening gowns).
My father built the baby crib and cradle with wood.

It's why I found lockdown really hard and frustrating, because both me and my boyfriend weren't used to doing everything online.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 4:33 am

KitLily wrote:

Thank you. I realised that after I'd got this PM and changed the setting. I was shocked to get a creepy PM on a moderated site like Wrong Planet! I've had dozens on Twitter, Facebook etc. but they rarely do anything about things like that. I'm glad WP takes action.

I'm sorry this happened to you as a new member.
I'm glad you reported it straight away.
There's no need to put up with harassment on a support site like WP.

My daughter and I used to get lots of creepy PM from sociopathic stalkers too.
Most of them were spoilt narcissists who didn't understand "no means no".

I switched my PM settings a few months ago and haven't received any spam since.
It's so nice to log in and not worry about finding an inbox full of rubbish.

I'd be happy to add you to my "allowed" list if you'd like.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 4:42 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Thank you. I realised that after I'd got this PM and changed the setting. I was shocked to get a creepy PM on a moderated site like Wrong Planet! I've had dozens on Twitter, Facebook etc. but they rarely do anything about things like that. I'm glad WP takes action.

I'm sorry this happened to you as a new member.
I'm glad you reported it straight away.
There's no need to put up with harassment on a support site like WP.

My daughter and I used to get lots of creepy PM from sociopathic stalkers too.
Most of them were spoilt narcissists who didn't understand "no means no".

I switched my PM settings a few months ago and haven't received any spam since.
It's so nice to log in and not worry about finding an inbox full of rubbish.

I'd be happy to add you to my "allowed" list if you'd like.

I am on the same page as you- used to getting such PMs and reporting them (on social media). Yes that's why I like WP so far- I don't get an inbox of rubbish.

How nice, please add me if you like. I'm going to be more open to friends now.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 4:52 am

KitLily wrote:
I am on the same page as you- used to getting such PMs and reporting them (on social media). Yes that's why I like WP so far- I don't get an inbox of rubbish.

How nice, please add me if you like. I'm going to be more open to friends now.

I'll be happy to add you but I haven't slept at all yet and I'm meeting a friend in a few hours.

It's going to be a busy day but I'll add you ASAP and send a PM to let you know.

I think we have a lot in common as it is.

Cheers for now!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:00 am

Yep…we certainly have to get rid of any sleazeball who, say, send unwanted pictures of their anatomy to new members.

People just don’t want to be subjected to that crap.

I know how it feels, in a way. I used to get unwanted diatribes, under the influence of paranoid delusions, accusing me of doing something I didn’t do.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:07 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'll be happy to add you but I haven't slept at all yet and I'm meeting a friend in a few hours.

It's going to be a busy day but I'll add you ASAP and send a PM to let you know.

I think we have a lot in common as it is.

Cheers for now!

That sounds nice :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep…we certainly have to get rid of any sleazeball who, say, send unwanted pictures of their anatomy to new members.

People just don’t want to be subjected to that crap.

I know how it feels, in a way. I used to get unwanted diatribes, under the influence of paranoid delusions, accusing me of doing something I didn’t do.

Yes...the Direct Message function is a double edged sword isn't it. I don't really like it. On Twitter I tell people not to send me DMs. Anything they want to say can be said in public. Especially men. I only really accept DMs from gay male friends, they are unlikely to send me dick pics! :lol:

Although having said that, I did get a dick pic from a gay male once! Why he thought I wanted to see that, I don't know! :lol:

Last edited by KitLily on 11 Aug 2022, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:36 am

auntblabby wrote:
september 8, 1966, a thursday evening, was when i sat in the box our brand-new setchell-carlson 25" color tv set came in, watching the first episode of "star trek." i suspect we were the first family on the block at least to have a color set of this size. it made all the colors look positively fluorescent like they glowed in the dark. this is an old-fashioned memory of a then-new-fashioned thing.

I would have loved to have seen that. Just in time to watch The Monkees in colour when they made their debut on September 12, 1966.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:40 am

Quote:
It's why I found lockdown really hard and frustrating, because both me and my boyfriend weren't used to doing everything online.

That was also one of the main reasons that I found lockdown frustrating.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:49 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I dont think you are the most old fashioned person here .I would rather live in the Texas of 1907 than the Texas of today..I think by Texas standards you are one of the very least old fashioned people I have known online due I am only bringing this you up because you asked and I think you are very modern and un old fashioned because you are transgender.We are also all using computers and I know someone who has never used a computer or been on the internet and its 2022.So I would say we are all more modern than some people.I dont think you are super old fashioned.I think I am more old fashioned in many areas than you buts thats just my personal thoughts.I really did not mean to bring up the transgender thing to be rude or disrespectful or hateful or anything.Just the thing its very radical and the opposite of old fashioned to me.Because 1950's would be old fashioned.I am more of the 1950's type than a 2020's type of person when it comes to old fashioned.However I am super modern because I think every vice should be legal and unregulated for the most part in America if it does not hurt other people.I am way more modern on drugs than my father because he thinks pot should remain illegal and I think every hard drug should legal for adults.

Thank you for your input. It's good to see things from all angles. I never thought of me being one of the most modern people on WP, but I guess I am. I don't think that you're being rude or disrespectful at all. You're telling it like it is, which is very different from being rude or disrespectful.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:52 am

auntblabby wrote:
better old-fashioned than lotsa other things.

I agree. There are many worse things to be than old-fashioned.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 6:40 am

I remember how much of a big deal it was when my father bought a 25-inch Zenith color TV in 1967. He also bought an Oldsmobile Delta 88 at about the same time.

In my 6-year-old mind, we were rising up in the world!

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 7:15 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I dont think you are the most old fashioned person here .I would rather live in the Texas of 1907 than the Texas of today..I think by Texas standards you are one of the very least old fashioned people I have known online due I am only bringing this you up because you asked and I think you are very modern and un old fashioned because you are transgender.We are also all using computers and I know someone who has never used a computer or been on the internet and its 2022.So I would say we are all more modern than some people.I dont think you are super old fashioned.I think I am more old fashioned in many areas than you buts thats just my personal thoughts.I really did not mean to bring up the transgender thing to be rude or disrespectful or hateful or anything.Just the thing its very radical and the opposite of old fashioned to me.Because 1950's would be old fashioned.I am more of the 1950's type than a 2020's type of person when it comes to old fashioned.However I am super modern because I think every vice should be legal and unregulated for the most part in America if it does not hurt other people.I am way more modern on drugs than my father because he thinks pot should remain illegal and I think every hard drug should legal for adults.

Thank you for your input. It's good to see things from all angles. I never thought of me being one of the most modern people on WP, but I guess I am. I don't think that you're being rude or disrespectful at all. You're telling it like it is, which is very different from being rude or disrespectful.

Thank you.I appreciate it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 7:19 am

The Kinks were one of the groups which gave intellectual credibility to rock and roll during the 60s.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 10:53 am

Perhaps old fashion is a state of mind as well . Have me a computer, but I work with wood shaping tools from the 1800s in many repair projects around the house . That are inherited from a great grandfather. :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 8:38 pm

I admire you for doing "projects." I suck at "projects."