Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2007, 11:51 pm

OK, I went to college a couple years ago to get my degree in broadcasting but I feel that I've made a mistake doing that, and something that I'm regretting. The TV stations here don't pay all that well (I get paid $6.15 at the one I'm working at.), and I here that the pay isn't all that better in the cities. Since then, I've been contemplating on going back to college. I haven't decided on which degree I want to get, but I've been thinking about computer programming. Think I should go for it?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 12:46 am

If you're in the USA, check out community colleges. You will get the basics for much less financial cost than at a 4 year school. You might also want to check out the market at present - check the placement offices at a few schools and see what their graduates are earning on getting their diplomas. (This info is also available in book form... sorry, but I've forgotten the name of the book! but the placement officers should be able to tell you.)

Then, if you'll recoup your investment in what you consider a reasonable period of time, go for it. Otherwise, think really hard about spending four years and tens of thousands of dollars for a degree that may leave you doing temp work for not a lot more than you're making now.

PS Also note, depending on the state and the school, you may not be allowed back to study for a second BA or BS degree. If you are, you won't be eligible for most of the financial aid packages, other than some loans if you already have a bachelor's degree. Choose wisely.

Last edited by Nan on 08 Aug 2007, 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Aug 2007, 4:44 am

I got an Associates degree at a community collage b4 I knew what I wanted to do, Liberal Arts.

Then I decided I wanted to work for some envornmental protection agency like EPA or even be a conservation officer. Problem was, the prospects for having a job like that now are not great, the Bush Administration has cut the budget to that agency, and others. You gotta be realisitc, and know spending that time and money that eather in the present or in the future, when you graduate you will get the job and pay you want.

I was a few semesters shy of my bachlors degree, decided never to finish because I did not see a point, at least with a 2 year degree I can do like maby data entry or somethin, make $30,000 a year not great but with a little bit of good investment I can provide for a family with middle class means.

Know what you want... think hard, look at yourself now, in the future, where do u see yourself then?

Do resherch on the market, what oppertunities are avalible now, or in the future even???

zee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 4:42 am

Yes, you should... if computer programming really interests you. Make sure you research it--what you would be doing, if you can get a well-paying job afterwards, etc.
Don't let other people tell you that you can't go back to college after quitting--many people have done that, including me. In fact, it's often easier the second time because you know what to expect, and the prospect of going back to a boring or poor-paying job is extra motivation. :)