To Woke, or not to Woke. Mr. Apu on the Simpsons.

Page 18 of 19 [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 12:29 am

ironpony wrote:
Star Wars even had a black character before in the original trilogy, so I do not understand why fans would think it is woke nowadays.

Yeah but those were side characters. Boyega was thrust forward as a main character and the response was overall negative from the fandom

Once it was worked out his was actually comic relief their attention turned to other characters

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 4:16 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well I just don't understand some of this woke mentality when it comes to entertainment of how people can be so easily offended, or so easily impressed.

Me and my gf just watched the new Batman movie, and she was really thrilled how they made catwoman bi, or at least according to her she was. But I didn't get the big deal. Okay, so she's bi now, but she still has a romance with Batman, so what difference does that make or add, and why is that such a huge revelation for her?

It's like to some people who are more about woke politics, making a character bi in a movie, automatically means the movie is the next Citizen Kane or something of that sort, but why?

To please everyone they have to put all sorts of diversity into TV shows and movie series. But then when they do, it offends people because the character might be too stereotypical. I think these days people just focus on these minor details too much instead of just enjoying the show.

Bring back the olden days when they were allowed to say anything on TV and people just laughed and got on with their lives.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 2:06 pm

That makes sense. Well I don't care what race the actors are as long as it fits and doesn't feel forced. Casting a black actor in the Star Wars universe seems fine. But there was that Anne Boleyn miniseries that came out last year, where they cast a black woman as Anne Boleyn, and that just didn't seem to fit. So I thought it counted as 'woke' when it was forced and didn't seem to fit if that makes sense.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 2:13 pm

There's lots of "historical inaccuracy" in the show about the Tudors.

They show Henry VIII, for example, as a strapping young man in the 1530s; by the 1530s, Henry was looking very similar to the Hans Holbein paintings.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 5:56 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Bring back the olden days when they were allowed to say anything on TV and people just laughed and got on with their lives.

I agree. Anybody who really wants to fight racism might do well to look for bigger fish to fry than a white man doing Apu's voice for a cartoon. These days they daren't screen "The Germans" (Fawlty Towers) or "It Ain't Half Hot, Mum." Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Mind you, I remember they kicked up a huge fuss about "Till Death Do Us Part" way back in the 1960s. It was blindingly obvious to me that Alf Garnett the racist bigot was portrayed as a stupid, loud-mouthed jerk who spouted ludicrous far-right rubbish and always got the punishment he deserved, but the objectors seemed to think the BBC was endorsing what he said. Go figure. Still, at least they carried on airing the show, and nobody resigned under the pressure of the objections to it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 6:16 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I agree. Anybody who really wants to fight racism might do well to look for bigger fish to fry than a white man doing Apu's voice for a cartoon. These days they daren't screen "The Germans" (Fawlty Towers) or "It Ain't Half Hot, Mum." Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Mind you, I remember they kicked up a huge fuss about "Till Death Do Us Part" way back in the 1960s. It was blindingly obvious to me that Alf Garnett the racist bigot was portrayed as a stupid, loud-mouthed jerk who spouted ludicrous far-right rubbish and always got the punishment he deserved, but the objectors seemed to think the BBC was endorsing what he said. Go figure. Still, at least they carried on airing the show, and nobody resigned under the pressure of the objections to it.

Til Death Do Us Part was the show that inspired All in the Family.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 8:41 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

All in the Family is funny though, because it's about a guy trying to get his racist ways and he keeps failing at it. Sitcoms do that where someone wants to do something that is considered wrong, and it blows up in their face. But I guess if it's a racist goal that is going to far as opposed to say, Barney Stinson lying to a woman to get her bed?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 9:22 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Yes it was, though there were some interesting differences:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Till_Deat ... the_Family

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 12:16 am

Well when it comes to people who are 'woke' that are complaining about movies and TV not being woke enough, do these people who constantly complain even like movies or TV for one thing?

Like if you were to ask an average woke person, their top 10 movies of all time, which ones would they most likely pick do you think?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 11:06 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well when it comes to people who are 'woke' that are complaining about movies and TV not being woke enough, do these people who constantly complain even like movies or TV for one thing?

Like if you were to ask an average woke person, their top 10 movies of all time, which ones would they most likely pick do you think?

Does it matter what "woke" people think if you disagree with their life choices?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2022, 10:15 pm

Well the woke people seem to have a huge influence in movie and TV entertainment, so I would think it matters what they are thinking and up to, if they have a huge influence. But this is also part of the reason why I prefer a lot of foreign films. Foreign industries are not as concerned with being woke where it doesn't fit so far.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2022, 10:33 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well the woke people seem to have a huge influence in movie and TV entertainment, so I would think it matters what they are thinking and up to, if they have a huge influence. But this is also part of the reason why I prefer a lot of foreign films. Foreign industries are not as concerned with being woke where it doesn't fit so far.

If you are talking about mainstream cinema or TV then there they are beholden to anti-vilification rules.
But aren't you involved with Indie films? Just slap an restricted on the film (R+) and you don't have to compromise creative or artistic license

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2022, 10:53 pm

Oh okay. Yes I am involved there, and trying to get in deeper. But I thought the 'woke' crowd didn't care about what the movies are rated unless I am wrong?

For example, the movie Don't Worry Darling, which just came out, has complaints from viewers of being too woke, so far, and it has the R rating.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2022, 10:56 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. Yes I am involved there, and trying to get in deeper. But I thought the 'woke' crowd didn't care about what the movies are rated unless I am wrong?

For example, the movie Don't Worry Darling, which just came out, has complaints from viewers of being too woke, so far, and it has the R rating.

Yep, that'l fix it....no access to kids

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2022, 11:00 pm

Oh how will that fix it exactly, or what do you mean?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 1:24 am

Every time they get rid of an ethnic stereotype from a show, the cast gets a little bit whiter.

They got rid of the (admittedly racist caricature) black maid from Tom and Jerry. The trouble is in the new Tom and Jerry show, all of the main human characters are white, which is bad for representation.