To Woke, or not to Woke. Mr. Apu on the Simpsons.

Page 16 of 19 [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 8:10 pm

ironpony wrote:
But aren't actors allowed to fake accents or is that considered 'racist' now? For example, I had no problem when Viggo Mortensen faked a Russian accent to play a Russian character in Eastern Promises, but is that considered wrong now?

I had no problem with Nick Nolte faking an Italian accent for Lorenzo's Oil, even though he is not Italian. Faking accents for movie characters never bothered me.

So a white actor faking a European accent is passable
A white actor faking a non-white accent is racist

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 1:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
But aren't actors allowed to fake accents or is that considered 'racist' now? For example, I had no problem when Viggo Mortensen faked a Russian accent to play a Russian character in Eastern Promises, but is that considered wrong now?

I had no problem with Nick Nolte faking an Italian accent for Lorenzo's Oil, even though he is not Italian. Faking accents for movie characters never bothered me.

But if a white actor can fake a European accent, and that's fine, why can't an actor like Kal Penn, who is of South Asian decent, fake a South Asian accent then, and have it be fine?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 5:56 am

ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

But if a white actor can fake a European accent, and that's fine, why can't an actor like Kal Penn, who is of South Asian decent, fake a South Asian accent then, and have it be fine?

I think you might have missed that I mentioned that's a grey area. Both Kal Penn and Russell Peters are born and bred in Canada and the US. Both have them have self-identified as American and Canadian so (no) it's not makeup, it's cultural brownface

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 8:15 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

I think you might have missed that I mentioned that's a grey area. Both Kal Penn and Russell Peters are born and bred in Canada and the US. Both have them have self-identified as American and Canadian so (no) it's not makeup, it's cultural brownface

But aren't actors allowed to play different characters with different accents, hence the point of acting? For example, I'm into filmmaking and I have an idea to write a short screenplay, about some Russian characters, but if I find actors who can fake the Russian actors, but are still the best actors to pick from in the casting, why not go with them? They are actors, and playing other people are their jobs. Why do actors have to play someone that grew up in a place with an accent, the same as their own? Arnold Schwarzenegger played a Russian once for example, and I thought that was completely fine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 9:35 am

My brother's friend's 11-year-old had to do a project about a country in class. Each child had to choose a different country and do a little project on it, including dressing up and baking a dish, etc. But there was a list of countries they weren't allowed to pick because the school was frightened of any stereotypes (positive or not) being used. So they couldn't pick countries like Africa or India. But other countries such as Australia or the UK or Greenland was fine and they could use whichever stereotypes they liked and no stereotypes they used would become offensive, even if they're negative.

Yes I know the history but does it really need to go to this extreme where even schoolchildren aren't allowed to study certain countries? It's like if a black or white child who chose Scotland dressed up in a kilt and eat haggis it would be a great cultural reference. But if a white child chose something like Africa and dressed in whatever clothes are traditional in Africa and ate fruit, it would be considered offensive.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 11:59 pm

Joe90 wrote:
My brother's friend's 11-year-old had to do a project about a country in class. Each child had to choose a different country and do a little project on it, including dressing up and baking a dish, etc. But there was a list of countries they weren't allowed to pick because the school was frightened of any stereotypes (positive or not) being used. So they couldn't pick countries like Africa or India. But other countries such as Australia or the UK or Greenland was fine and they could use whichever stereotypes they liked and no stereotypes they used would become offensive, even if they're negative.

Yes I know the history but does it really need to go to this extreme where even schoolchildren aren't allowed to study certain countries? It's like if a black or white child who chose Scotland dressed up in a kilt and eat haggis it would be a great cultural reference. But if a white child chose something like Africa and dressed in whatever clothes are traditional in Africa and ate fruit, it would be considered offensive.

If you have to jump through hoops like this why bother to do it at all then. That's like becoming a stripper, as long as you don't have to wear anything that is considered 'non-innocent looking.'

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 3:46 am

Joe90 wrote:

There's plenty of European national costumes to choose from.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 4:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Yes but that's not the point. Why are things only racist (even positive stereotypes) only offensive to certain cultures to the point where a teacher had to cross them off the list through fear?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 5:31 am

Joe90 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Yes but that's not the point. Why are things only racist (even positive stereotypes) only offensive to certain cultures to the point where a teacher had to cross them off the list through fear?

In certain cultures the way you wear a national costume is also important. If the kids don't know how to wear then properly then it might come across as insulting, In that case if there's a native from the culture (let's say a native Hawaiian helping girls get dressed in grass skirts) the I would have no problem with the white kid dressing up "native".

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 7:22 am

I just feel it's unnecessary to have to tread this carefully around certain cultures instead of just treating every culture equally. It's like the teacher was saying "don't do any cultures with black, Indian or Asian people". I think that's racist in itself to exclude cultures of non-white skin colour. Including all cultures surely is the most right way to go about it. Kids were allowed to do Russia, the country run the nutter who wants to kill people and start WW3.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 7:32 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black ... strel_Show

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 7:47 am

babybird wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show

Never heard of that but wouldn't watch it if I did.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 7:53 am

Joe90 wrote:
I just feel it's unnecessary to have to tread this carefully around certain cultures instead of just treating every culture equally. It's like the teacher was saying "don't do any cultures with black, Indian or Asian people". I think that's racist in itself to exclude cultures of non-white skin colour. Including all cultures surely is the most right way to go about it. Kids were allowed to do Russia, the country run the nutter who wants to kill people and start WW3.

I mean I personally wouldn't have a problem with with an 11 year old white kid wearing traditional African tribal costume but then I'm not African so you would have to ask a member of one of those communities what they think?.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 8:31 am

Joe90 wrote:
babybird wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show

Never heard of that but wouldn't watch it if I did.

Thank god for that

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 9:26 am

cyberdad wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I mean I personally wouldn't have a problem with with an 11 year old white kid wearing traditional African tribal costume but then I'm not African so you would have to ask a member of one of those communities what they think?.

Well, to be honest, I don't think most African people would really care.

What if I wanted to be offended by the Simpsons episode The Regina Monologues because of Homer destroying the front of Buckingham Palace and upsetting the Queen? Not that it does offend me, as I leave all reality or PC out of it when watching the Simpsons and just enjoy the show. But would it be controversially offensive if there was a Simpsons episode where they crashed into the Taj Mahal in India and upset a patriotic figure?
Are they going to ban showing that episode on TV now that the Queen has died?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 5:38 pm

Joe90 wrote:
What if I wanted to be offended by the Simpsons episode The Regina Monologues because of Homer destroying the front of Buckingham Palace and upsetting the Queen? Not that it does offend me, as I leave all reality or PC out of it when watching the Simpsons and just enjoy the show. But would it be controversially offensive if there was a Simpsons episode where they crashed into the Taj Mahal in India and upset a patriotic figure?
Are they going to ban showing that episode on TV now that the Queen has died?

A number of people have infact been arrested for heckling or saying something negative about the queen during this time of mourning in countries outside of the US
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... st-police/
And in Scotland
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62883713