To Woke, or not to Woke. Mr. Apu on the Simpsons.

Page 17 of 19 [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 5:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
What if I wanted to be offended by the Simpsons episode The Regina Monologues because of Homer destroying the front of Buckingham Palace and upsetting the Queen? Not that it does offend me, as I leave all reality or PC out of it when watching the Simpsons and just enjoy the show. But would it be controversially offensive if there was a Simpsons episode where they crashed into the Taj Mahal in India and upset a patriotic figure?
Are they going to ban showing that episode on TV now that the Queen has died?

A number of people have infact been arrested for heckling or saying something negative about the queen during this time of mourning in countries outside of the US
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... st-police/
And in Scotland
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62883713

Wow, that actually surprised me, as I always thought the UK was one of those countries that aren't protected.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 6:39 am

Seems like you can get cancelled for speaking out against the Queen or Charlie

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 6:47 am

cyberdad wrote:

A lot of people on Facebook are against the Queen. I wrote a lovely message of condolences in the comments section of a beautiful photo of our Queen and some people "liked" it with a laughing face, as if to mock me because of loving our Queen.
But I believe those people have it against the royals because they're jealous of how privileged they are. But they are going to be privileged - they're royals, and I think it's nice to have royalty in our country. It's what makes Britain Britain.

Better than the Kardashians!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Sep 2022, 4:24 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Or more accurately, creating a breach of the peace. People were also arrested (and later de-arrested) for holding up a blank card: it still created a breach of the peace.

While there's an argument that a protest isn't really a protest unless it disrupts things, a funeral is not the place to do that. It's too much like the rabidly homophobic Westboro Baptist Church protesting at gay funerals.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 5:30 pm

Well I just don't understand some of this woke mentality when it comes to entertainment of how people can be so easily offended, or so easily impressed.

Me and my gf just watched the new Batman movie, and she was really thrilled how they made catwoman bi, or at least according to her she was. But I didn't get the big deal. Okay, so she's bi now, but she still has a romance with Batman, so what difference does that make or add, and why is that such a huge revelation for her?

It's like to some people who are more about woke politics, making a character bi in a movie, automatically means the movie is the next Citizen Kane or something of that sort, but why?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 5:47 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well I just don't understand some of this woke mentality when it comes to entertainment of how people can be so easily offended, or so easily impressed.

Me and my gf just watched the new Batman movie, and she was really thrilled how they made catwoman bi, or at least according to her she was. But I didn't get the big deal. Okay, so she's bi now, but she still has a romance with Batman, so what difference does that make or add, and why is that such a huge revelation for her?

It's like to some people who are more about woke politics, making a character bi in a movie, automatically means the movie is the next Citizen Kane or something of that sort, but why?

Diversity is not just "looks" it's also sexual identity and neurodiversity as well.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 6:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Diversity is not just "looks" it's also sexual identity and neurodiversity as well.

Oh yes, I know. But I wasn't talking about looks, I was talking about sexual identity here in this example, with what my gf thought of the new Batman movie, wasn't I?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 6:51 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh yes, I know. But I wasn't talking about looks, I was talking about sexual identity here in this example, with what my gf thought of the new Batman movie, wasn't I?

Yes this is becoming more prevalent in adult TV dramas where at least one of the main characters is either bi or gay. What is surprising is the number of programs pitched at teens where there are openly gay relationships e.g. Stranger things and Teen wolf and Euphoria.

I am amazed the GOP hasn't been targetting Hollywood in their current spate of witch hunts?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 6:51 pm

Well...if Catwoman's professed bisexuality served no purpose in the plot of the rest of the movie then that would be a rather inane thing to stick into the movie. It would just be 'gratituitous wokism' one could argue.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 7:00 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Yes this is becoming more prevalent in adult TV dramas where at least one of the main characters is either bi or gay. What is surprising is the number of programs pitched at teens where there are openly gay relationships e.g. Stranger things and Teen wolf and Euphoria.

I am amazed the GOP hasn't been targetting Hollywood in their current spate of witch hunts?

Well I guess I just don't get why characters' sexual orientations are such a big deal, if the orientation doesn't have anything to do with the plot. For example, I tried watching the show How to Get Away with Murder, and although I found the main murder plot interesting, the subplots, deal with things that do not have anything to do with the main murder plot.

One of the killers trying to get away with the crime is worried that her fiancee might be gay. But what does this have to do with the plot of her getting away with the crime? Absolutely nothing... and it was completely forgotten about by the next season, so why bother to introduce such a subplot anyway therefore?

Also, how could the GOP come after Hollywood since there is no laws against what movies they want to make in terms of things like that?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 7:28 pm

ironpony wrote:
But what does this have to do with the plot of her getting away with the crime? Absolutely nothing... and it was completely forgotten about by the next season, so why bother to introduce such a subplot anyway therefore?

Because it's authentic. Here's the aspect that those who accuse Hollywood of wokeness forget. Making a plot relatable by casting particular characters or introducing drama that is specific to a particular subgroup

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 8:24 pm

I think that that kind of subplot can work if it wasn't forgotton about and built into the main plot somehow, but if it doesn't, is it not considered 'woke', when they do not care so much about the storytelling and just doing it to check off the woke boxes, if that makes sense?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 1:16 am

ironpony wrote:
is it not considered 'woke', when they do not care so much about the storytelling and just doing it to check off the woke boxes, if that makes sense?

But here's the thing, when does the audience decide when something is ticking the woke box or not?
When John Boyega's face emerged from a stormtrooper's uniform when the star wars trailer dropped many years ago he was inundated with thousands of hate mail from SW fans who irrationally hated him before they even saw the movies. What they didnt realise that Boyega himself was one of them (A SW fan) and his character of Finn eventually was one of 2-3 redeemable characters in SW trilogy.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 6:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
is it not considered 'woke', when they do not care so much about the storytelling and just doing it to check off the woke boxes, if that makes sense?

But here's the thing, when does the audience decide when something is ticking the woke box or not?
When John Boyega's face emerged from a stormtrooper's uniform when the star wars trailer dropped many years ago he was inundated with thousands of hate mail from SW fans who irrationally hated him before they even saw the movies. What they didnt realise that Boyega himself was one of them (A SW fan) and his character of Finn eventually was one of 2-3 redeemable characters in SW trilogy.

I can only decide from my own interpretation if a box is being checked or not. I was not aware of that with Boyega, but what does that have to do with a movie being woke or not?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 6:36 am

ironpony wrote:
I can only decide from my own interpretation if a box is being checked or not. I was not aware of that with Boyega, but what does that have to do with a movie being woke or not?

A lot of fans conflate multicultural casting with wokeness

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 8:30 pm

Oh okay, I wouldn't call something woke based on casting or not normally. Usually in order for me to consider a movie woke, it has to have forced woke themes in that do not fit with the story or plot well, and it's overly preachy, if that makes sense. But just casting a non-white person in the movie is not enough for me to call it woke at all.

Star Wars even had a black character before in the original trilogy, so I do not understand why fans would think it is woke nowadays.