To Woke, or not to Woke. Mr. Apu on the Simpsons.

Page 15 of 19 [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 3:28 am

naturalplastic wrote:
From the Sixties onward the public has gradually evolved a more nuanced and accepting view of homosexuals over the decades.

I imagine millions women in the 1950s would have been heartbroken to know that the three biggest heart throbs
James Dean
Gregory Peck
Rock Hudson
were all unavailable :lol:

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 6:30 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Like for example, if I was directing and producing movie, and an actor came to audition to play a gay character, there is no way I would ask someone applying if they were gay or not, and whether or not they get the job, depends on their sexual orientation, as I feel that would be hugely unprofessional of me. Unless I am looking at it the wrong way?

Hmmm, That's an interesting one. I guess it wouldn't matter if they could get through casting but here's the thing, is it appropriate for a straight person doing the casting to gauge if an actor is acting "gay"?

But I don't think that a casting director has to have things in common with the actors to judge their performances. For example, the casting director of the Silence of the Lambs cast Anthony Hopkins as a serial killer, even though Hopkins, or the casting director were serial killers in real life.

I'm being facetious in that example, but my point is, an employer is not required to share the same sexual orientation of a person they hire for a certain job, in my opinion.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 8:01 pm

ironpony wrote:
But I don't think that a casting director has to have things in common with the actors to judge their performances. For example, the casting director of the Silence of the Lambs cast Anthony Hopkins as a serial killer, even though Hopkins, or the casting director were serial killers in real life.

I'm being facetious in that example, but my point is, an employer is not required to share the same sexual orientation of a person they hire for a certain job, in my opinion.

They are different though. Take the first example. Serial killers are either i) hidden from view or ii) in jail. So that's not really relevant and the casting director can use their own imagination.

The second example is also not relevant because sexual orientation is never taken into consideration when somebody is interviewed for a job.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 11:28 pm

That's true, I was being sarcastic in my first example.

But I think sexual orientation is taken somewhat seriously when doing a job, since Tom Hanks for example, came out and said that he shouldn't have played a gay man in a movie, and it wouldn't have flied today. If it's true that it wouldn't fly today, then that means sexual orientation is taken into considering when hiring, at least for actors in a job.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 11:50 pm

ironpony wrote:
But I think sexual orientation is taken somewhat seriously when doing a job, since Tom Hanks for example, came out and said that he shouldn't have played a gay man in a movie, and it wouldn't have flied today.

If anyone asked him, what do you suppose he'd say a gay actor would have brought to the part that his performance didn't?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 11:54 pm

Dox47 wrote:
ironpony wrote:
But I think sexual orientation is taken somewhat seriously when doing a job, since Tom Hanks for example, came out and said that he shouldn't have played a gay man in a movie, and it wouldn't have flied today.

If anyone asked him, what do you suppose he'd say a gay actor would have brought to the part that his performance didn't?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, if you could elaborate?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 6:02 am

I was watching an interview with Kal Penn (From Harold and Kumar) and he says he regularly has to compete with white actors who do "brown face" when there's an opening for an actor to play an Indian.

However, Penn is sympathetic to his fellow actors as jobs are so hard to come by that he understands why they are so desperate to land a role. The problem is if they become famous later on and the movie role re-surfaces.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 10:33 am

ironpony wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, if you could elaborate?

How would Tom Hanks' performance have been better if he were gay personally?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 9:34 pm

Oh I don't know how or if it would have been better. I was just quoting what he said, that he felt he shouldn't have played a gay role.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 10:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I was watching an interview with Kal Penn (From Harold and Kumar) and he says he regularly has to compete with white actors who do "brown face" when there's an opening for an actor to play an Indian.

However, Penn is sympathetic to his fellow actors as jobs are so hard to come by that he understands why they are so desperate to land a role. The problem is if they become famous later on and the movie role re-surfaces.

That's unfortunate for Kal Penn but at the same time, anyone is free to audition it seems, so what can you do really?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 3:34 am

ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

That's unfortunate for Kal Penn but at the same time, anyone is free to audition it seems, so what can you do really?

The flipside I don't think Kal Penn has an Indian accent either.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 12:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The flipside I don't think Kal Penn has an Indian accent either.

Oh but what does that have to do with anything?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 2:30 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh but what does that have to do with anything?

Well technically he's doing brown face as his accent is Canadian

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 12:00 am

But why is it considered brown face if his accent is Canadian?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 3:16 am

ironpony wrote:
But why is it considered brown face if his accent is Canadian?

because he's north American Not Indian. Another example is Ben Kingsley's portrayal of Mahatma Ghandi. Kingsley is half Indian but speaks with an upper crust thespian English accent.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 6:27 pm

But aren't actors allowed to fake accents or is that considered 'racist' now? For example, I had no problem when Viggo Mortensen faked a Russian accent to play a Russian character in Eastern Promises, but is that considered wrong now?

I had no problem with Nick Nolte faking an Italian accent for Lorenzo's Oil, even though he is not Italian. Faking accents for movie characters never bothered me.