To Woke, or not to Woke. Mr. Apu on the Simpsons.

Page 1 of 19 [ 290 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 3:49 pm

The character named "Apu", the South Asian proprietor of the Seven-Eleven type convenience store in the Simpsons, has become controversial lately.

Here we can watch a real Indian American couple reacting to clips of Apu. They talk just like Peter Sellars. So its fun to hear to them it's a bit hard to understand them. But you can follow it.

They laugh at the same moments most Americans do. And dont seem mind the fun being poked at their group, and even join in laughing at some the stereotypes (like their group being workaholics). They especially like the part where the white bearded Indian guru said he was "also the head of the [fictional 7-11 type chain], and ended his sermon with... 'thank you and come again'".

I liked that part too.

So if they dont have a problem with Apu, I dont.

What are your reactions to their reactions?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 3:53 pm

I'm anxious to reply to topics like this now in case I get reported again even though I'm just giving my response and not using any racial bias or slur.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:19 pm

Why Hank Azaria Quit Voicing 'Simpsons' Character Apu.

(Published in People Magazine, 2020-02-27.)

Hank Azaria is elaborating on his decision to step away from voicing the character of Apu on The Simpsons.

Last month (January 2020), Azaria told Slashfilm that he would no longer play Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, who has become a controversial character on the Fox television franchise, as many have argued that the character should not be voiced by a white actor.

In a recent interview with The New York Times, Azaria said the decision was made after a years-long process of examining his own feelings and listening to other opinions, many of whom said they had been offended by Apu.

"Once I realized that that was the way this character was thought of, I just didn’t want to participate in it anymore", Azaria, 55, told the outlet.  "It just didn’t feel right."

Read the Full Article
 HERE 

So, not only is this news over two years old, but it was obviously Mr. Azaria's own uncoerced decision.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
[b]W

[color=black]So, not only is this news over a year old, but it was obviously Mr. Azaria's own uncoerced decision.

So what?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:29 pm

While I enjoyed his character, I really don’t think removing it is being “too woke.” Things can be enjoyable but not right at the same time.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:38 pm

Funny how the only both black and foreign character in the Simpsons becomes so controversial after 30 years of such a great show.

Why is it racist for a white person to voice a black person? Is it racist if a black person voices a white person? I feel that skin colour shouldn't be focused on as strongly as it is today. That people are just people, black or white.

But I do like the range of diversity the characters in the Simpsons have. Is it racist to make a Scotsman the school janitor? In the newer episodes groundskeeper Willie is apparently really poor. And also aggressive. Ain't this a stereotype against Scotsmen? Or do stereotypes not matter as long as they're white?
What if Apu was originally the groundskeeper/janitor who lived in a shack? Would it be controversial then?

Yes, before you delete this post please give people a chance to read it and respond. If it does start a flame war then you can delete if you wish. But I'm only trying to educate myself, not bigot against any race. Just give it a chance. I might learn something.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:40 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So, not only is this news over a year old, but it was obviously Mr. Azaria's own uncoerced decision.
So what?
So what, "So what?"?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:42 pm

Apu is a worldwide reality: the Indian storeowner.

I’d have to see how he’s portrayed in “The Simpsons” to form an opinion about whether he’s appropriately portrayed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:52 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Funny how the only both black and foreign character in the Simpsons becomes so controversial after 30 years of such a great show.
Technically, Apu is "Asian"; but yeah, you have a valid point!
Joe90 wrote:
Why is it racist for a white person to voice a black person? Is it racist if a black person voices a white person?
Some consider it racist, others consider it cultural appropriation, and still others consider it wrong for anyone but a south Asian person to voice a south Asian character.
Joe90 wrote:
I feel that skin colour shouldn't be focused on as strongly as it is today. That people are just people, black or white.
I whole-heartedly agree.  Once humanity gets away from "race" as a social construct, we will all be the better for it.
Joe90 wrote:
But I do like the range of diversity the characters in the Simpsons have. Is it racist to make a Scotsman the school janitor?
A white Scotsman, voiced by a white actor, as decided by a bevy of white producers is not racist, even if the Scotsman also drinks heavily, wears a kilt, and plays the bagpipes.
Joe90 wrote:
In the newer episodes groundskeeper Willie is apparently really poor. And also aggressive. Ain't this a stereotype against Scotsmen?
:shrug:
Joe90 wrote:
Or do stereotypes not matter as long as they're white?
In a white-dominated industry, stereotypically white people may seem 'normal'.  When those 'Redneck' jokes first became popular, I wondered what was so funny about them, because J.Foxworthy was simply describing people with whom I grew up.
Joe90 wrote:
What if Apu was originally the groundskeeper/janitor who lived in a shack? Would it be controversial then?
Perhaps even more so.
Joe90 wrote:
Yes, before you delete this post please give people a chance to read it and respond.  If it does start a flame war then you can delete if you wish.  But I'm only trying to educate myself, not bigot against any race.  Just give it a chance. I might learn something.
Joe, I think you are one of the good people here.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Apu is a worldwide reality: the Indian storeowner.

I’d have to see how he’s portrayed in “The Simpsons” to form an opinion about whether he’s appropriately portrayed.

Racial stereotyping is the problem.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 09 Aug 2022, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:56 pm

Quote:
When those 'Redneck' jokes first became popular, I wondered what was so funny about them, because J.Foxworthy was simply describing people with whom I grew up.

I can relate! That was my experience, too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:59 pm

If Indian people don’t mind the portrayal, why should we mind?

(East) Indians tend to seek to maintain a dignified air. They wouldn’t tolerate an inaccurate and stereotypical portrayal of one of them.

Why not have an Indian portrayal?

I’m a Jew. There are some portrayals of stereotypical Jews that I mind and object to. Others are just funny.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:59 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
When those 'Redneck' jokes first became popular, I wondered what was so funny about them, because J.Foxworthy was simply describing people with whom I grew up.
I can relate! That was my experience, too.
Yet, each joke exploits the stereotype of an ignorant white person who totally lacks sophistication.

Even saying the word 'Redneck' can get you in trouble if you are in the military.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 5:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

(East) Indians tend to seek to maintain a dignified air. They wouldn’t tolerate an inaccurate and stereotypical portrayal of one of them.

Why not have an Indian portrayal?

I’m a Jew. There are some portrayals of stereotypical Jews that I mind and object to. Others are just funny.

How do we know that ALL Indians don’t mind it?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 5:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Only if ALL South Asian people do not mind . . . but there are many who do.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 5:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Do you think your experience reflects that of ALL Jews?