Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:16 am

I am nearly 33 still got a full head of hair but with a slightly receding hairline. My dad is 64 and has got a full head of hair although he does have a receding hairline and my younger brother is 30 and has no receding hairline (he has thicker hair than me and my dad).

However my mother is 63 and has had alopecia since her 40s. She’s not bald but she has bald spots on her scalp.

Do you think since my dad has most of his hair that I will not experience male pattern baldness or are genetics more complicated than that?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:31 am

If you are a man, expect to go bald (like the man in my avatar).  Also expect to get a big belly, ear hair, chronic flatulence (no matter what you eat), and an enlarged prostate.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:38 am

Fnord wrote:
If you are a man, expect to go bald (like the man in my avatar).  Also expect to get a big belly, ear hair, chronic flatulence (no matter what you eat), and an enlarged prostate.

But my dads 63 and got all his hair so how can you be so sure I will go bald?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:41 am

Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I did not say you will go bald, I said to expect it.  Look more to your grandfathers' hair loss, especially on your mother's side, to determine the possible extent of your own hair loss.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:44 am

Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I did not say you will go bald, I said to expect it.  Look more to your grandfathers' hair loss, especially on your mother's side, to determine the possible extent of your own hair loss.

Baldness can come from either side of the family not just the mothers side

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:47 am

Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Because your hair growth is controlled by your hormones, and your hormones are controlled by your metabolism, and your metabolism is controlled by your mitochondria, and your mitochondria are inherited solely from your mother, it is your mother's side of the family that has greater influence over your hair loss.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:52 am

Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Because your hair growth is controlled by your hormones, and your hormones are controlled by your metabolism, and your metabolism is controlled by your mitochondria, and your mitochondria are inherited solely from your mother, it is your mother's side of the family that has greater influence over your hair loss.

My mothers father lost most of his hair aged 18 and had a combover. My grandmother on my moms side and her brother (my great uncle) all had loads of thick hair.

Quite taken from bosley.dom

“One popular myth is that hair loss in men is passed down from the mother's side of the family while hair loss in women is passed down from the father's side; however, the truth is that the genes for hair loss and hair loss itself are actually passed down from both sides of the family.”

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:55 am

Your mother's father went bald at 18?  Good luck, then.

I did not say that only the mother's side influences hair loss; I said that your mother's side of the family that has greater influence over your hair loss.

But if you already have everything figured out, then why are you asking?

Last edited by Fnord on 10 Aug 2022, 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:57 am

Fnord wrote:
Your mother's father went bald at 18?  Good luck, then.

Again read this quote

“One popular myth is that hair loss in men is passed down from the mother's side of the family while hair loss in women is passed down from the father's side; however, the truth is that the genes for hair loss and hair loss itself are actually passed down from both sides of the family.”

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:58 am

Again, if you already have everything figured out, then why are you asking?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 10:04 am

Fnord wrote:

My grandfather went bald at 18 though whereas I have most of my hair aged nearly 33.

I guess that does not mean anything though does it?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 10:10 am

Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My grandfather went bald at 18 though whereas I have most of my hair aged nearly 33.  I guess that does not mean anything though does it?
Both sides of your ancestry influence your hair loss.  So do diet, metabolism, medications, and other factors.

Bosley's statement does not contradict my own -- they address mixed-dominance, while I address primary dominance in a mixed-dominance context.  Bosley is also in the business of promoting its own hair loss treatments, by the way, so I suggest you investigate the real science behind MBP and draw your own conclusions.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 10:14 am

Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My grandfather went bald at 18 though whereas I have most of my hair aged nearly 33.  I guess that does not mean anything though does it?
Both sides of your ancestry influence your hair loss.  So do diet, metabolism, medications, and other factors.

Bosley's statement does not contradict my own -- they address mixed-dominance, while I address primary dominance in a mixed-dominance context.  Bosley is also in the business of promoting its own hair loss treatments, by the way, so I suggest you investigate the real science behind MBP and draw your own conclusions.

?

Also I think it’s my grandmothers side (on the female side) that has the greatest influence in your hair loss not so much the maternal grandfather.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 10:21 am

Here’s a photo of my moms father from the 1980s https://imgur.com/a/vauUJCa

And here’s a picture of grandfather on my dads side https://imgur.com/a/nTmFa3H

Fnord do you think my maternal grandfather looks really bald judging by the photo?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 7:27 pm

Not really.

They were both pretty-decent looking men about in their 50s.

In my early 30s, I had a slightly receding hairline. I have a bald spot at 61—but I’m still not really “bald.”

My avatar is me at age 59. Do I look bald?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 7:27 pm

Are they both still alive?