Israel to trial CBD as treatment for autism

Page 5 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 10:03 pm

DanielW wrote:
So far they've tried, PCP, Amphetamines, Ketamine, THC, MDMA, and now CBD. Yet they seem unwilling to change anything about themselves to accommodate us. And WE'RE the ones with the problem?

It is not like the NT world is such a wonderful thing to emulate. :roll:

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 11:47 pm

DanielW wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Cure NTs …. ??……….. ( viva la difference)?

Seriously...why don't we give them a dose of their own "medicine" :D

I agree. I'd like to see that happen for once.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 2:05 am

rse92 wrote:
Weed changed my life.

I smoked dope almost daily for my sophomore, junior and senior years of college and then regularly for the following three years of law school. Being high settled my social anxiety immensely. Before my sophomore year I hadn't even really had a girlfriend and didn't feel that I had genuinely close friends. Within four years I had a number of bosom buddies and was engaged to one of the most beautiful girls in my undergraduate school.

I am practically Patient X for the use of cannabis by autistic persons. I heartily recommend it.

Maybe in some states in the US where you live it’s ok

In the UK where it’s still illegal all that’s available is genetically grown super skunk.

Artificially grown to blow your head off.

Cannabis Psychosis is increasing as a result of that

- George Bernie Shaw

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 4:20 am

carlos55 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
My friend has a 26 year old son with severe autism who doesn't talk much, he makes noises and flaps etc. At home in the Midlands, he and his son get funny looks and comments. But they're on holiday on the South Coast now. He said that he hasn't got a single funny look or comment and they've travelled all over the county. He said that's unusual but it just shows it's possible for people to be accepting.

Going by stats if he avoids any accidents and dangers many severely autistic /ID people face like wandering drowning or poisoning etc.. he will still likely have a shortened life expectancy of around 40.

He will have to deal with cognitive stress and pain that NT people don’t usually have at times like high fear and anxiety so being severely autistic is not about just being accepted.

The pain is real

This is why autism can never just be an identity the negatives for those most impaired are too great.

So therefore it is pointless giving people like this guy the CBD 'treatment' then? Because being severely autistic is not just about being accepted. Are you saying that they would have to select which autistic people to give CBD to, using some kind of criteria?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 6:39 am

KitLily wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
My friend has a 26 year old son with severe autism who doesn't talk much, he makes noises and flaps etc. At home in the Midlands, he and his son get funny looks and comments. But they're on holiday on the South Coast now. He said that he hasn't got a single funny look or comment and they've travelled all over the county. He said that's unusual but it just shows it's possible for people to be accepting.

Going by stats if he avoids any accidents and dangers many severely autistic /ID people face like wandering drowning or poisoning etc.. he will still likely have a shortened life expectancy of around 40.

He will have to deal with cognitive stress and pain that NT people don’t usually have at times like high fear and anxiety so being severely autistic is not about just being accepted.

The pain is real

This is why autism can never just be an identity the negatives for those most impaired are too great.

So therefore it is pointless giving people like this guy the CBD 'treatment' then? Because being severely autistic is not just about being accepted. Are you saying that they would have to select which autistic people to give CBD to, using some kind of criteria?

Not necessarily if giving CBD reduced his anxiety all great but it’s hardly going to change him as far as his disability is concerned.

Was just saying not only can’t you treat autism as all the same thing because it’s clearly not, but trying to attach an “identity” to a serious mental disability like your friends son is absurd.

- George Bernie Shaw

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 7:20 am

carlos55 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Not necessarily if giving CBD reduced his anxiety all great but it’s hardly going to change him as far as his disability is concerned.

Was just saying not only can’t you treat autism as all the same thing because it’s clearly not, but trying to attach an “identity” to a serious mental disability like your friends son is absurd.

I didn't think I was attaching an identity to a serious mental disability? What are you talking about? You're changing your argument with every comment :?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 7:35 am

funeralxempire wrote:
KitLily wrote:
So autistic people are supposed to suppress everything about themselves so everyone can act the same, be the same etc? That will lead the human race down a dangerous path to every possible difference being eradicated...

Now where did I say any of that?

You can't address what I actually said so you create a strawman to argue against instead.

I'll be generous and say, perhaps you could try one more time without attacking the commenter (me) but instead focusing on what I'm saying? It's not a good way to go if we start attacking the person instead of what they say.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 8:09 am

Someday I am going to start a thread with the title "Is misrepresenting and misstating someone's words on an internet forum for one's own rhetorical purposes an autistic trait?"

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 9:59 am

rse92 wrote:
Someday I am going to start a thread with the title "Is misrepresenting and misstating someone's words on an internet forum for one's own rhetorical purposes an autistic trait?"

No, it's trait of the general online community. See Twitter, Facebook et al :lol: :lol:

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 10:28 am

KitLily wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I didn't think I was attaching an identity to a serious mental disability? What are you talking about? You're changing your argument with every comment :?

The attaching identity bit was not directed at you, rather in relation to previous comments on this thread, implying autism is all one thing.

- George Bernie Shaw

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 11:30 am

KitLily wrote:
So autistic people are supposed to suppress everything about themselves so everyone can act the same, be the same etc? That will lead the human race down a dangerous path to every possible difference being eradicated...

Differences and defects coexist.
This is not to say that there is no confusion between the two because of different understandings.
But some parts of autism are just defects, not differences.

The misinterpretation to "the desire to control defects" as "the desire to eliminate all differences" is the slippery slope.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 12:20 pm

carlos55 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

The attaching identity bit was not directed at you, rather in relation to previous comments on this thread, implying autism is all one thing.

Oh I see! Thank you.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 12:21 pm

KitLily wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Now where did I say any of that?

You can't address what I actually said so you create a strawman to argue against instead.

I'll be generous and say, perhaps you could try one more time without attacking the commenter (me) but instead focusing on what I'm saying? It's not a good way to go if we start attacking the person instead of what they say.

Once one demonstrates a willingness to invent strawmen rather than address what I've actually said I cease to view them as an honest actor or someone capable of good faith discussion.

How dare I call you out for the thing you did. How dare I notice the dishonest trick. What an unfair attack. :roll:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 12:22 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
KitLily wrote:

This is not to say that there is no confusion between the two because of different understandings.

The misinterpretation to "the desire to control defects" as "the desire to eliminate all differences" is the slippery slope.

That's right! But the desire to control defects can very, very easily slide into the desire to eliminate all differences. All it takes is someone with a general desire to control. Maybe for economic gain? Money tends to corrupt people.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 12:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Once one demonstrates a willingness to invent strawmen rather than address what I've actually said I cease to view them as an honest actor or someone capable of good faith discussion.

How dare I call you out for the thing you did. How dare I notice the dishonest trick. What an unfair attack. :roll:

Well there is nothing I can say to that without being misunderstood, so have a good day!

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 12:47 pm

KitLily wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
KitLily wrote:

That's right! But the desire to control defects can very, very easily slide into the desire to eliminate all differences. All it takes is someone with a general desire to control. Maybe for economic gain? Money tends to corrupt people.

ADHD has its own medicine, and it is up to the client or at least their guardian to decide whether to take it. Like most other medical problems.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.