Israel to trial CBD as treatment for autism

Page 2 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 9:20 pm

So far they've tried, PCP, Amphetamines, Ketamine, THC, MDMA, and now CBD. Yet they seem unwilling to change anything about themselves to accommodate us. And WE'RE the ones with the problem?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:15 am

DanielW wrote:
So far they've tried, PCP, Amphetamines, Ketamine, THC, MDMA, and now CBD. Yet they seem unwilling to change anything about themselves to accommodate us. And WE'RE the ones with the problem?

It would be funny if eventually autistic people outnumbered 'neurotypical' people wouldn't it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 5:25 am

I see they couldn't resist messing with the simple use of hemp. They had to add some artificial Frankenstein derivative to it. That would put me off trying it.

Beyond that, I've no problem with the idea of offering a treatment for ASD, as long as it's up to the Aspie whether or not to try it.

As for CBD, there's fair evidence that it reduces my sensory issues. My tolerance to heat improves and it relaxes me, as long as the dose is large enough. I'm more comfortable in my own body, and that has to be a good thing. No noticeable effect on the other ASD traits, and I suppose those would be the things that are controversial with regard to whether they're good or bad.

I'd rather they worked on getting the price of CBD down - perhaps simply by refraining from throttling hemp growers with so much red tape.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 6:17 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
As for CBD, there's fair evidence that it reduces my sensory issues. My tolerance to heat improves and it relaxes me, as long as the dose is large enough. I'm more comfortable in my own body, and that has to be a good thing.

Doesn't CBD do that for everyone though? Isn't that why people take cannabis in the first place? So basically they are just making autistic people more relaxed :?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 7:50 am

CBD oil is hardly a cure for autism so many people are getting carried away here.

As far as treatment is concerned I’m rather skeptical CBD is over hyped in general maybe they think it helps with anxiety but my personal experience cannabis makes me more anxious not less.

I believe there should be a cure and treatment for autism anyway for those that want it.

Many autism’s cause severe impairment and ruin people’s lives so saying it’s just a benign difference is being economical with the truth

If your happy with the way you are good luck to you if others including the most disabled want to change they should be allowed to without judgment.

- George Bernie Shaw

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 8:05 am

KitLily wrote:
Doesn't CBD do that for everyone though? Isn't that why people take cannabis in the first place? So basically they are just making autistic people more relaxed :?

Yes, CBD is said to have analgesic properties, and my experience seems to back that up, so I suppose it would relax most people. I've not noticed it doing much else. Cannabis would contain a lot more THC, which is psychoactive, and I suppose people use it for both the relaxing effect and the "high."

So yes, AFAIK CBD is probably just a mild pain killer and a relaxant. But maybe it eases ASD sensory issues better than analgesics from the drug firms. For some reason I'd rather take CBD than say ibuprofen. I never saw a pharmaceutical analgesic product yet that didn't have known ill effects. Most of them are bad for the stomach.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 8:37 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes, CBD is said to have analgesic properties, and my experience seems to back that up, so I suppose it would relax most people. I've not noticed it doing much else. Cannabis would contain a lot more THC, which is psychoactive, and I suppose people use it for both the relaxing effect and the "high."

So yes, AFAIK CBD is probably just a mild pain killer and a relaxant. But maybe it eases ASD sensory issues better than analgesics from the drug firms. For some reason I'd rather take CBD than say ibuprofen. I never saw a pharmaceutical analgesic product yet that didn't have known ill effects. Most of them are bad for the stomach.

Is CBD more natural than ibuprofen etc? I have enough stomach issues, I don't want more :x

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 8:38 am

As far as I know, CBD is derived from the marijuana plant, which would make it more "natural" than Ibuprofen.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 8:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
As far as I know, CBD is derived from the marijuana plant, which would make it more "natural" than Ibuprofen.

Not really, Ibuprofen is made from Propionic Acid (which is sourced from fermented semi-digested food from the digestive tracts of large mammals). Can't get more "natural" than that.

Last edited by DanielW on 11 Aug 2022, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 8:49 am

DanielW wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Not really, Ibuprofen is made from Propionic Acid (which is sourced from fermented semi-digested food from the digestive tracts of large mammals

That's not the only ingredient, though.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 8:52 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
DanielW wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Not really, Ibuprofen is made from Propionic Acid (which is sourced from fermented semi-digested food from the digestive tracts of large mammals

Its the active ingredient though. Just like aspirin is salicylic acid. In fact that's. how it was discovered. They were looking for an alternative to aspirin. And its cheaper to produce, since its a by-product of meat production and would otherwise be a waste product.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:54 am

Cure NTs …. ??……….. ( viva la difference)?

where ever you go ,there you are

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:57 am

Jakki wrote:
Cure NTs …. ??……….. ( viva la difference)?

Seriously...why don't we give them a dose of their own "medicine" :D

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 10:10 am

I'm fairness, treating the outward appearance of autism might make peers more likely to accept such an autistic into their social circle which might have long term benefits to an autistic.

Acting like the odd one out means people see you as different. More often than not they treat different people...well.. differently.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 10:13 am

Nades wrote:
I'm fairness, treating the outward appearance of autism might make peers more likely to accept such an autistic into their social circle which might have long term benefits to an autistic.

Acting like the odd one out means people see you as different. More often than not they treat different people...well.. differently.

How is that fair to the autistic person? Is drugging them their entire life a fair thing to do? Its like asking an "ugly" person to wear a bag over their head when they might be seen,

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 10:14 am

DanielW wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
DanielW wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Its the active ingredient though. Just like aspirin is salicylic acid. In fact that's. how it was discovered. They were looking for an alternative to aspirin. And its cheaper to produce, since its a by-product of meat production and would otherwise be a waste product.

You mean Motrin is made from 'cud' ...the half digested grass inside of butchered hoofed livestock?