Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 11:25 am

Pathological demand avoidance in autism, explained

Quote:
Pathological demand avoidance (PDA) is a contentious term.

Over the past 40 years, some clinicians have used it to describe a set of personality and behavioral traits exhibited by autistic people who tend to refuse to cooperate with others’ requests. But the term is missing from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) and the International Classification of Diseases, which psychiatrists and psychologists use to make official diagnoses.

Those who favor the term say it has merit — if not as a diagnosis, then at least as a way to describe a personality type that is common among autistic people. Other professionals say it is too narrow and subjective to be clinically useful, and that it pathologizes an autistic person’s preferences and autonomy.

Here we explain what scientists know about pathological demand avoidance and its connection to autism.

How did the term originate?
The late Elizabeth Newson, professor of psychology at the University of Nottingham in the U.K., coined the term in 1983 to describe a syndrome in which a person resists and avoids the ordinary demands of life, even when complying is in their best interest. According to Newson, the syndrome’s behaviors can include trying to distract the authority figure who made the request, making excuses, withdrawing into fantasy and avoiding meaningful conversations, possibly to such a level as to lead to meltdowns or panic attacks. Signs of PDA typically manifest early in life, Newson noted.

Since then, she and other clinicians and researchers have refined the definition to emphasize how people with PDA use social strategies to avoid demands and to mask anxiety or underlying processing and communication issues. Newson and her colleagues also outlined how to deal with children who have a PDA profile, by using approaches that differ from those commonly used with autistic children, even though children described as having PDA have autism. Rather than providing the children with a highly structured routine, for instance, they emphasize novelty and variety.

Discussion of PDA has been confined mostly to the U.K. With social media dissolving international borders, though, people in the United States are gaining awareness of the concept.

What is the relationship between pathological demand avoidance and autism?
Newson originally described PDA as a pervasive developmental disorder, different from ‘classic autism,’ as some then called it. She argued that it is a distinct syndrome on the autism spectrum — like Asperger syndrome, which was folded into ‘autism spectrum disorder’ with the publication of the DSM-5 in 2013.

More recently, clinicians and researchers have described PDA simply as a ‘profile,’ a group of behaviors that can be used to describe many autistic people, but not a distinct syndrome or diagnosis. The PDA Society, a U.K.-based nonprofit, describes PDA as “a profile on the autism spectrum.” And the U.K.’s National Autistic Society calls PDA a profile that first requires an autism diagnosis.

There is insufficient evidence to support PDA as an autism subtype or an independent condition, according to a 2018 study. Others say the concept is still useful, even if it is not concrete.

Why is the term ‘pathological demand avoidance’ controversial?
PDA has not found widespread acceptance with clinicians, especially in the U.S. Part of the issue is that even if PDA represents a real phenomenon, it means different things to different people, and it is unclear how useful the designation is, says Catherine Lord, distinguished professor of psychiatry and education at the University of California, Los Angeles.

More strident critics of the term argue that autistic people who assert their own choices that are contrary to their parents’ or teachers’ wishes are not exhibiting symptoms of a condition. They are simply exerting their autonomy, wrote Damian Milton, senior lecturer in intellectual and developmental disabilities at the University of Kent in the U.K. Calling this resistance ‘pathological’ rests firmly on the ableist preferences and values of the person whose demands are not being met.

Another problem is that PDA positions a pattern of behavior as a symptom of a diagnosable condition, without considering the context of the behavior, says Devon Price, clinical assistant professor of psychology at Loyola University in Chicago, Illinois.

This context includes which demands a child is refusing and why, Price says.

Many educators and mental health providers expect children to comply with instructions, regardless of whether they understand or agree, Price says. “So any struggle or hesitation is pathologized.”

What is the evidence in support of pathological demand avoidance?
Children exhibiting a PDA profile likely make up a small percentage of the autistic population, and many seem to grow out of it by adolescence or adulthood, a 2014 population-wide study revealed. In a group of 27 children scoring high on measures associated with PDA, 26 had autism, according to a 2015 study.

Girls score higher on a measure of PDA traits, the Extreme Demand Avoidance Questionnaire (EDA-Q), than boys, according to a 2013 study. But researchers have not widely adopted the EDA-Q. Adults who score high on the EDA-Q tend to be antagonistic, disinhibited and disagreeable, according to a 2018 study.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 7:39 pm

Pathological Demand Avoidance could be used as a way for a kid to get out of doing chores.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 8:44 am

I hear this is a rare disorder. Most of the time it's explained by anxiety and adherence to routines and not understanding the rules and reasons for it which is a characteristic of being on the spectrum.

I have read personal blogs about it and honestly it sounds like a nightmare to be raising a kid with it and all of them have been girls that have it. I believe it looks a lot like ODD and girls probably get diagnosed with it outside the UK.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2022, 10:38 pm

Just hearing/reading about this caused two reactions:

1. just want to argue with the name of it! - juse of the word 'demand' in the title sounds ableist etc, plus PDA to me at Uni meant Public Display of Affection

2. Now that I read the above, makes me think maybe I have it!?

but I googled and found a version lightly modified for adults. https://embrace-autism.com/eda-qa/

First time through I got only 15 (45+ for informal dx)

The I went back and fiddled with my answers and only got 32.

Meh, so maybe not LOL.

btw, I have a formal adult ASD dx from a psychologist here in Au, which also requires form filling by an adult who knows you well.

Said adult rated me much higher on autistic traits than I rated myself :? :roll:

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 9:03 am

https://linktr.ee/harrythompson

This is the link tree page for Harry Thompson, an autistic guy who identifies as having/being PDA (whatever the right way to put that is). There are links to his youtube, instagram, tiktok and a bunch of other things and he's also written a book. I know him from tiktok, where his videos were (I haven't been on for a while) always packed with information and super interesting. I've come across several other people talking about PDA on tiktok but I don't really identify with it myself so I think Harry's the only one I was following. But I think it's always good to get the perspectives of people who actual have the experience.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 7:29 am

There is an Autistic author who writes about her experience with PDA. I think her name is Kristie forbes. I have seen a few youtube videos by her.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:55 am

I’ve also heard an alternative name for PDA, “Pervasive Demand for Autonomy.” Sounds a lot less medical and scary than “Pathological Demand Aboidance.”

#palestinianlivesmatter