Anyone else obsessed with emo culture?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

xXxDylanxXx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2022, 11:37 am

I have Level 1 Autism and I've been listening to a lot of emo music lately such as MCR, BVB and Avril Lavigne. Just wanted to make this post cause I felt like it. Oh and I also really love the Sims 2/3.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 11:49 am

I can't say I have ever been all that interested in things Emo, but I do love The Sims 2 (I think is the best of the series in terms of tweaks and customizations.)

Last edited by DanielW on 11 Aug 2022, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xXxDylanxXx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2022, 11:58 am

DanielW wrote:
I can't say I have ever been all that interested in things Emo, but I do love The Sims 2 (I think is the best of the series in terms of tweaks and customizations.

It's a lot better than that game called The Sims 4.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 12:04 pm

I once posted a "You Might Be Emo" list that got taken down because someone complained it made them cry.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

xXxDylanxXx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2022, 12:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
I once posted a "You Might Be Emo" list that got taken down because someone complained it made them cry.

Guess they didn't like emos.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 12:22 pm

I listen to stuff like Saetia and I Would Set Myself On Fire For You. Stuff like American Football and Street Smart Cyclist is good too.

Musically I'm not sure the pop rock acts OP named fit in the genre, although they were typical of what kids with too much eyeliner were listening to when I was in high school - it's just like calling Limp Bizkit thrash metal.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 12:57 pm

"The Byronic hero, incapable of love, or capable only of an impossible love, suffers endlessly.  He is solitary, languid, his condition exhausts him.  If he wants to feel alive, it must be in the terrible exaltation of a brief and destructive action." -- Albert Camus (1913-1960), "The Stranger", first published: 1942-05-19

A modern-day 'Emo' would have been a 'Byronic Hero' during WWII.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 1:02 pm

Life is depressing as it is----why would I want to exacerbate my depression by becoming "Emo"?

Not to say that individual Emos aren't good people----it's the ideology I don't really care for.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 1:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Life is depressing as it is----why would I want to exacerbate my depression by becoming "Emo"?

Not to say that individual Emos aren't good people----it's the ideology I don't really care for.

Isn't this the same thing people used to say about goth culture and heavy metal fandom?

I'm pretty sure the main reason subcultures exist is that they give people a sense of community and belonging and that's unlikely to contribute to depression; that's more likely to help with depression by helping one find and maintain a social support network, no?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 1:22 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
that's more likely to help with depression by helping one find and maintain a social support network, no?

However, it cannot be ignored that the mutually supportive communities of teen depressed mood owners – whether for physiological depression or otherwise – often lead to more radical ways of coping with emotions. This is an unhealthy echo room.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 1:32 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
that's more likely to help with depression by helping one find and maintain a social support network, no?

However, it cannot be ignored that the mutually supportive communities of teen depressed mood owners – whether for physiological depression or otherwise – often lead to more radical ways of coping with emotions. This is an unhealthy echo room.

Definitely that's a possibility, although it'd be worth trying to untangle how many people benefit from the social support compared to how many gravitate towards unhealthy relationships (friendships or romantic) that the subculture enables them to find.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

yurguardianangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2023, 2:26 am

Yeah.

As an alternative person who loves emo,goth,skater styles.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 3:50 am

Never heard of "emo" or "screamo" until a coffee break type conversation with a lady supervisor at work about our respective tastes in rock and pop like a decade ago. She was into Eighties metal flavored rock and explained the meanings of the terms. I am an even older fogey (into Seventies) so I shrugged and said "when I wanna hear guys singing with raw emotion I listen to soul singers like Teddy Pendergrass".

Last edited by naturalplastic on 31 Mar 2023, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 3:58 am

Fnord wrote:

You make a lot of ppl cry. :mrgreen:

Personally, I see the EMO culture as a development/progression of the Goth culture.
This is just me, probably. <shrug>
I was into "Goth" at one time because of the group I was mixing with when I was young.

Oh.
Not exactly a necro-post, but the OP seems to have "left the building". :mrgreen:

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 12:35 pm

Closest I came was being obsessed with My Chemical Romance's "Black Parade" album for a while. I never really got into the fashion side of it.

hrod1234
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2023, 10:46 pm

Avril's about as "emo" as McDonald's is nutritious.