A book about Asperger Syndrome and Alcohol

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you drink alcohol to deal with symptoms of Asperger Syndrome or Autism generally?
Yes. 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
No. 61%  61%  [ 17 ]
Sometimes. 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 28

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 11:27 pm

The most I ever drank was when my department at work would go for a few Friday beers, but there was never any question about legally driving home. In that case, it helped with team spirit and acceptance. (We never invited management or the other department :-)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 9:23 am

I have not had a drink in over a quarter century because doc said it was bad for my sensitive stomach. I was a casual drinker beforehand.

In general I think it is bad for autistics because
Repetitive behaviors might make us prone to addiction.

Being more loosened up will make us think we are being less socially awkward when we are actually being more socially awkward.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 1:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Being more loosened up will make us think we are being less socially awkward when we are actually being more socially awkward.

That's why I have only had three drinks one time. If someone asked my mother for a third drink, it arrived in a glass that had the same crest printed on it, but was not very round.

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2022, 1:32 pm

I disagree the whole drinking concept is 100% terrible and brings no benefit. If you know what you're doing, can control the amount, drinking at the right situations, moments, days, in the right moods, at the right time, and so on... you can get alot of overall social benefits with drinking habits, and a responsible person like me knows how to do all this very well. However, some medications provide the same social benefits as alcohol, so I dont combine them together. Also, its not easy to always have the alcohol with you at every place you're at. Outsides bars and such, its not always there with you. I used to take it with me to many places, until I realized I cant to every place, it might bring unwanted attention if they see me drinking it.

The best place I like to do it is at home. Thanks to the fact I live alone currently, nobody can see me doing something they dont like to see me doing, so they cant say "hey, stop doing that!". Yeah, living alone can bring loneliness, but there are other advantages like this for example.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 8:51 pm

Does the book highlight the negatives along with the positives?

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2022, 12:56 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Does the book highlight the negatives along with the positives?

Well, I havent read the book, but based on the short description I can tell its focusing mostly about the negatives. I'm more interested about how much of a positive impact it can have on people with Asperger Syndrome, because there are negative consequences to almost any addictive thing you use these days. I think the book is based more on personal opinion/experiences of who wrote it, so the person who wrote it used Alcohol improperly and the results were negative, so he apparently shared it based on his personal point of view. But you can still learn alot from this book, if there is an e-book version of it, I might read it at some point, but its probably quite long and need to free up some time for that.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.