A book about Asperger Syndrome and Alcohol

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you drink alcohol to deal with symptoms of Asperger Syndrome or Autism generally?
Yes. 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
No. 61%  61%  [ 17 ]
Sometimes. 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 28

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2022, 3:02 am

Hi everyone. Well basically, this time, I'd like to talk to you about a book I found out about. Its basically a book about drinking alcohol so you can deal with the anti social symptoms of Asperger Syndrome you might have.

Link:

https://www.amazon.com/Asperger-Syndrom ... 1843106094

Well basically, the way it looks like to me, is Alcohol really can help with the anti social symptoms of Asperger Syndrome, but at the same time, it can also cause other problems as well. I havent read the full book, but the description says Alcohol eventually can lead to big problems later. I have a tendency to disagree with that, because I did the same kind of thing myself and alcohol drinking have never really had big problems on my life. I think Alcohol can really help deal with anti social symptoms of Asperger Syndrome, but I dont think necessarily everyone who drinks alcohol, can develop big problems in their life because of that. I'm talking about people who have Asperger Syndrome of course, not normal people. The book is very interesting to be honest and its the first time in a long time, I have found something that interesting about Asperger Syndrome. Its interesting because, it sounds similar to a medication for Asperger Syndrome but in a liquid form. The only main problems I can say for sure about drinking alcohol for people with Asperger Syndrome, is the addiction and the tendency to drink too much. Those who can control this and not drink too much, I'm 100% sure it can help with their Asperger Syndrome. Can you guys please share what you think about this, and if you sometimes drink alcohol like Vodka, Whiskey, to do this kind of thing? Thank you.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 4:19 am

I don't.

Inhibition, social initiation and social anxiety are not my most relevant issues.

Alcohol screws my sense of control, gives me tunnel like vision, and weakens my executive function further. It made my already lack of care into more recklessness.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 7:00 am

Edna3362 wrote:
I don't.

Inhibition, social initiation and social anxiety are not my most relevant issues.

Alcohol screws my sense of control, gives me tunnel like vision, and weakens my executive function further. It made my already lack of care into more recklessness.

Exactly same here.

I went overboard in my college days. Now, I only drink on special occasions, one or two drinks max.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 7:04 am

Aspies that drink alcohol seem to have a better social life than those that don't drink. Teetotal Aspies like myself sadly have less friends.

I know two male Aspies who have a much bigger social life than me (much more friends) because they get drunk every time they go out, in fact drinking motivates them to go out to bars and clubs. So they get accepted more by their NT peers, especially when they're young.

Me, as an extreme non-drinker, I am less motivated to go out to bars and clubs because of the intense boredom and social anxiety, because of not drinking. Bars and clubs are designed for the drunk brain, even for NTs. So I can see why some Aspies that want friends tend to navigate to drinking alcohol, as it seems the easiest way to fit in and some believe it's the only way to fit in.

Not drinking at all can be just as isolating as being an excessive alcoholic.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 7:44 am

Joe90 wrote:
Bars and clubs are designed for the drunk brain, even for NTs.

design

Sorry.

I just can't NOT think of this song.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 7:47 am

Alcohol might be great for the moment----but it does great harm over time if it's abused.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 9:04 am

I understand people relaxing with a couple of drinks and because they like the taste. But just getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk and thinking it's the be all and end all (but not alcoholic) is what I don't get.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 9:15 am

i don't drink to deal with any of my problems. It's just not worth it. I don't want to shrink my brain and pickle my liver. Besides, I can't mix alcohol with my happy pills and calm pills.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 9:25 am

Joe90 wrote:
I understand people relaxing with a couple of drinks and because they like the taste. But just getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk and thinking it's the be all and end all (but not alcoholic) is what I don't get.
↑ This.  I grew up around adults who drank heavily, and I never understood why acting stupid, getting sick, getting violent, or simply passing out was considered "fun".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 9:31 am

Alcohol worsens my social anxiety, I don't like the idea of even beginning to "loosen up"/ lose control.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 10:02 am

Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
↑ This.  I grew up around adults who drank heavily, and I never understood why acting stupid, getting sick, getting violent, or simply passing out was considered "fun".

It's ironic really, being so most NTs don't like antisocial behaviour. Today in town there were two drunken middle-aged men, sitting on a bench in the bus station shouting and swearing about nothing. Yet I bet these same people would judge and laugh at an autistic person who is stimming or something.

Drunk people break more social rules than most autistic people do, yet being drunk is so appealing to NTs.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 10:45 am

I don't drink alcohol at all. I've been through enough just from the side effects of about the fifty different kinds of psychiatric medication I've been put on before I was finally diagnosed with Asperger's, and the medication I have to take now is bad enough.

I guess I'm either too asocial to crave taking a mind-altering substance where the risk of side-effects and doing something dangerous or stupid just isn't worth it, or I'm a total stuck-up prude, or I'm really an alien.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 10:50 am

i used to be an alcoholic in my 20s and it made me like a naive neurotypical
i had about 50 friends all male but they werent really friends they only liked me because i was beautiful and always drunk or taking hard drugs and was a sex object to them

now i havent touched alcohol for 17 years since i found out i was pregnant with my son

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 1:18 pm

It depends how much you drink.

1-2 beers just loosen you up and make a lot of things more fun.

Any more than that is when it is difficult to walk across a room and do other stuff, then you're at that childish level.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 1:00 am

Apart from the health risks, expense, and all the rest, I wouldn't use alcohol to socialize because I'd wind up socializing with people who drink alcohol.

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2022, 10:52 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

Well yeah I kinda agree, its not always a good solution to deal with symptoms of the syndrome. But I must disagree its not completely terrible. There are specific social situations in which alcohol can help a person with this syndrome if its done properly and in the right amount, right timing, and so on. Doing all this accurately can be difficult, but I admit I have learned how to do it better, without the negative effects of being drunk. Some people with a certain personality might receive a very different effect than I do from drinks like Vodka/Whiskey, but the advantage is its easier to reach the desired effects with it, and drink less at the same time. Beer requires the whole can of beer usually, but with a Whiskey you can get there faster with less drinking. The main disadvantage which always occurs however is when it resolves your symptoms of the syndrome, it also causes other negative effects which hurt the ability to make the best decision in some life situations. I think thats something to be careful about.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.