Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 9:48 am

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 2:03 pm

Those all sound good to try watching.

I like Red Dwarf but my husband and daughter have watched those episodes endless times so I'm a bit sick of watching them :lol:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 9:13 pm

KitLily wrote:

I like Red Dwarf but my husband and daughter have watched those episodes endless times so I'm a bit sick of watching them :lol:
Seasons 9–?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 4:43 am

Double Retired wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Seasons 9–?

yes, they've watched all seasons endlessly.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 9:50 am

If they tend to repeat watch an entire series then perhaps a series where that would be tolerable is:

<=+=>Last of the Summer Wine

It is a gentle comedy. It is not instantly attractive but after watching a week's worth of it I think a viewer might start finding it interesting. The first few seasons are the weakest but there is value in watching the entire series in order since some cast members are added or dropped over time. After watching the series for awhile someone might find it addictive.

One character, "Clegg", is in every episode. A second character, "Ivy", is not in every episode but does appear in all 31 seasons.

Yes. 31 seasons. The series ran from 1973 to 2010. That sort of suggests they were doing something right.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 11:49 am

Nooooo! Last of the Summer Wine is for old people in Britain. :P They liked Red Dwarf because it was sci fi I think. They don't watch it so much now.

It occurred to me that my comment^ may be seen as rude. It's not meant to be, sorry. It's just that Last of the Summer Wine is universally mocked in Britain as it's been going on forever and full of old people :?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 2:38 pm

:wink: I'll have to borrow my bride's cane and whack you with it.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 2:48 pm

Double Retired wrote:
:wink: I'll have to borrow my bride's cane and whack you with it.

*running away* :lol:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 2:54 pm

Or, rather than borrowing my bride's cane, I'll mention another Science Fiction/Comedy series: Lexx.

It is only for mature audiences...and that means not just your daughter but also you and spouse.

The crew of the Lexx make the crew of Red Dwarf look very professional and well-adjusted.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 12:01 am

Deutsche Wochenshau :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 2:45 am

Double Retired wrote:
Or, rather than borrowing my bride's cane, I'll mention another Science Fiction/Comedy series: Lexx.

It is only for mature audiences...and that means not just your daughter but also you and spouse.

The crew of the Lexx make the crew of Red Dwarf look very professional and well-adjusted.

I've heard of Lexx, isn't it supposed to be based on Blake's 7, the 1980s sci fi show. Also full of mature themes, a crew full of criminals who don't trust each other.

How did we get onto sci-fi anyway? I was asking about sitcoms :lol:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 8:18 am

I was keying off the "comedy" part of SitCom...and mentions of Red Dwarf reminded me there are other Science Fiction/Comedy TV shows. And picking on us old folk inspired me to mention comedies for mature folk.

While you could come up with a sentence that describes either Blake's 7 or Lexx they are very different. Blake's 7 is definitely not a comedy and is only at about the "PG" level of risque. Lexx is more like an "R" and between that and the bizarre story-lines you might not be old enough for it. (I'm sure my 92-year old Dad isn't!)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 9:02 am

Double Retired wrote:
I was keying off the "comedy" part of SitCom...and mentions of Red Dwarf reminded me there are other Science Fiction/Comedy TV shows. And picking on us old folk inspired me to mention comedies for mature folk.

While you could come up with a sentence that describes either Blake's 7 or Lexx they are very different. Blake's 7 is definitely not a comedy and is only at about the "PG" level of risque. Lexx is more like an "R" and between that and the bizarre story-lines you might not be old enough for it. (I'm sure my 92-year old Dad isn't!)

Why do you think I'm not an old folk? I'm 53! :lol: :P

But Blake's 7 is often unintentionally funny IMO. Some of the plots and characters (and costumes) are so silly. But IMO the Blake's 7 fanfic is vastly superior to the series.

I might watch Lexx if I ever come across it, thanks.

Talking of sci fi series, did you watch Stargate Universe? That's pretty dark and I don't remember any funny bits. Very good though, but sadly it got cancelled after 2 series. The two lead actors are excellent, so much tension.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 9:05 am

I used to like watching Sienfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Reba in my youth.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 10:20 am

53?!  Y O U N G S T E R ! !  :wink: I'm guessing you don't consider that a horrible insult.

And thank you for your patience. Given that this is Wrong Planet you probably suspect I'm acting like someone on the Autism Spectrum who likes to talk about something that interests them—but you'd be wrong about that...I'm not acting.

The Stargate franchise. Sigh. I liked the movie a lot! But three problems when admittedly good Stargate SG-1 came out:
<=>1. I was not yet retired and work was consuming a lot of my time.
<=>2. I met a gal who was also consuming a lot of my time...my future bride! :heart:
<=>3. And then it kept going and going and going! 10 seasons and 200+ episodes. And movies.
And then Stargate: Atlantis and then Stargate Universe. 8O It got so big it scared me off!

Now trying to get back to comedy...

Approach Lexx cautiously. I think sometimes it is slightly less-polished than other series and, like I said, Lexx's crew makes the Red Dwarf crew look outstandingly professional, competent, and well-adjusted. Plus the story-lines often veer into "Did they really do that!"...and I'm not even talking about it often being risqué and inappropriate for children. But it is Science Fiction and Comedy, and fun, and my bride and I really enjoyed it.

There are other things my bride and I enjoyed watching that had humor, perhaps also Science Fiction, but I'm unsure if any of them are SITCOMs.

Um. Maybe the Tremors franchise? What about Archer? Oh,yeah—Last of the Summer Wine is really good.