Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 1:05 pm

Double Retired wrote:
And thank you for your patience. Given that this is Wrong Planet you probably suspect I'm acting like someone who likes to talk about something that interests them—but you'd be wrong about that...I'm not acting.

The Stargate franchise. Sigh. I liked the movie a lot!
And then Stargate: Atlantis and then Stargate Universe. 8O It got so big it scared me off!

Now trying to get back to comedy...

Approach Lexx cautiously. I think sometimes it is slightly less-polished than other series and, like I said, Lexx's crew makes the Red Dwarf crew look outstandingly professional, competent, and well-adjusted. Plus the story-lines often veer into "Did they really do that!"...and I'm not even talking about it often being risqué and inappropriate for children. But it is Science Fiction and Comedy, and fun, and my bride and I really enjoyed it.

That's ok but sorry, I've no idea what you mean about acting.

Stargate Universe is NOTHING LIKE SG-1 or Atlantis. Absolutely chalk and cheese. Stargate Universe is dark, creepy and people die all the time. It's really intriguing and adult.

I might watch LEXX but it sounds like a big investment of time, I'm not sure I've got the time :?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 1:44 pm

An attempt at wordplay. I am not pretending to be...

Double Retired wrote:
...someone on the Autism Spectrum who likes to talk about something that interests them...
...I really am such a person.

Re Lexx...It would be an investment of time and whether or not it is worthwhile depends upon one's taste. It had four seasons and comedy, to some extent, was present in all of them...though it started out dark and by the fourth season had transmogrified into a SITCOM. The first season was in the format of a mini-series and the other seasons were standard episode format. And I recall now I concluded the best one-word description of Lexx was "demented".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 2:38 am

Seinfeld. Because I hate most of the others for invariably pretending they're dramas in that "very special episode."

traven
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 2:50 am

too much,
most recent? with frances de la Tour "oh miss Jones"

rising damp, sinister scenery
rofl

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 6:11 am

I tend to enjoy sitcoms from Happy Days or before.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 7:36 am

Double Retired wrote:
An attempt at wordplay. I am not pretending to be...
Double Retired wrote:
...someone on the Autism Spectrum who likes to talk about something that interests them...
...I really am such a person.

Re Lexx...It would be an investment of time and whether or not it is worthwhile depends upon one's taste. It had four seasons and comedy, to some extent, was present in all of them...though it started out dark and by the fourth season had transmogrified into a SITCOM. The first season was in the format of a mini-series and the other seasons were standard episode format. And I recall now I concluded the best one-word description of Lexx was "demented".

I'll let you know if I watch it.

My favourite sci fi ever was Babylon 5. Now THAT is a satisfying sci fi show, it's got everything! Including comedy.

e.g. one of the characters was supposed to close a deal with an alien but she was supposed to have sex with him as part of the deal. Someone else pointed out that the alien man would have no idea what human sex was like, so all she did was do a crazy dance around him and pretended that was how human sex went. It was hilarious!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 7:16 pm

Ah...possible further insight into what you might enjoy? :chin:

I agree, Babylon 5 wasstupendous!Possibly the best-written science fiction TV series. Straczynski had more than one story arc in each episode weaving into the story arcs for that season and there were also story arcs that spanned the entire series. I hope you are also familiar with the B5 movies, lost tales, and the related and sadly cancelled before it had properly introduced itself Crusade. All excellent space opera flavored with a discrete sprinkle of humor.

And, yes, I remember Ivanova confusing that amorous alien. :)

Given that you like B5 I think there are a few other Science Fiction series you might enjoy (if you haven't already).

Max Headroom is not a space opera but rather a standard episodic television show. Each episode extrapolated one area of society: religion, government, sports, etc. And the extrapolations were very entertaining and had Science Fiction depth. And it is definitely funny.

You are almost certainly already familiar with Firefly and Serenity. And, I hope, Farscape—which somehow managed to get feature-film level special effects into a weekly TV show. And they all also have some comedy stirred in.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 7:10 am

I quite like sci fi but I'm not deeply into it because I struggle enough with humans, real life and their weirdness, I haven't got much brain space left over to grasp difficult sci fi worlds, concepts and customs. Real life seems alien enough :lol:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 12:25 pm

Arrested Development is one of my favourites, first three seasons anyway.

Community is one of my favourite shows ever, pure comfort food for me and I wish I hadn't watched it as much as I have so I could watch it more.

Frasier occupies a nostalgic place for me. Particularly the Christmas episodes which I watch every year. I did a cmplete rewatch last year and it still holds up I think.

Is Dr Katz: Professional Therapist a sitcom? If so, add that to my list of greats. And the first few seasons of Archer were great.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 3:45 pm

KitLily wrote:
Real life seems alien enough :lol:
Properly chosen TV and film are more pleasant, I think, than real life.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:06 am

Double Retired wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Real life seems alien enough :lol:
Properly chosen TV and film are more pleasant, I think, than real life.

I read a quote saying: Real life doesn't make sense. That's why we need fiction to make sense.

That seems very true to me and explains a lot.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 12:23 pm

P.S. To anyone who cares, don't judge the Max Headroom show solely using the clip above. I made the mistake of waiting a few months to see the show (when it was being initially broadcast!) because of my opinion of the Max Headroom character appearances in some commercials.

It turns out he is more of a court jester occasionally poking his nose into the real stories. The show is about an investigative reporter in a television network news show...who gets the network execs so mad they want to replace him with an AI: Max Headroom. After watching the clip above you could correctly guess that the network's viewing audience would not be fooled.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 8:30 am

I liked Max Headroom, but it was so many decades ago I can barely remember it :P

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 8:50 am

I had seen a few commercials with Max in them and when the TV show came out decided not to watch it...I cringed at the thought of watching an hour of him!

Then some guest on the local morning news was commenting on movies, etc. When Max Headroom was mentioned they got my attention by comparing it to Blade Runner! So I finally watched an episode of Max Headroom and realized my mistake. It is legitimate, fun, deep science fiction. And, visually, it does resemble Blade Runner.

I do have a Max Headroom complaint, though. Before the series there was a Max Headroom TV movie. It is excellent! But it appears it has only been released in the U.S. on VHS. Groan. When it comes out on disc I'll have no compelling reason to keep my VCR.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 3:28 pm

Barney Miller
Keeping up Appearances
That old geezer show about Summer and Wine. :P
Mr.Bean
Sanford and Son
It’s always Sunny in Philadelphia

Agent_Elflord
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Aug 2022, 10:17 pm

I definitely love stuff like *M*A*S*H*, Malcolm in the Middle, That 70s Show, Everybody hates Chris, I wish I had Hulu to continue watching the Mary Tyler Moore show, I like the 1965 Gidget series and the Patty Duke show, Fresh Prince, The Goldbergs, Fresh off the Boat, Boy Meets World, etc.

I found The Jeffersons on Prime Video and watched a few episodes, but it doesn't seem as good as I thought it was back when watching reruns of it as a little kid. I think I liked Good Times more because JJ was my favorite character.