Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 7:31 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Some how a lone wolf always ends up being an army of extremists/terrorists.

There are probably thousands of sleepers getting drip-fed extremist propaganda from the internet from the same sources. It doesn't have to be one army. You can have an army of individuals all getting prepped in their basements when they hear Trump or some other "agent provocateur" declare a call to arms.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 7:14 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Some how a lone wolf always ends up being an army of extremists/terrorists.

Always?

I dont think so.

The Columbine Killers turned out to ...have no army ...nor even a cause.

Ditto Aurora, Sandy Hook, etc.

Same with the Las Vegas Shooter, and Nashville Bomber, and the Beltway snipers.

And number of spree killers in the US who did it in the name of Islam -whom everyone assumed were the spearhead of legions-of foreign state sponsored terrorists- turned out to be self appointed lonewolves (Atlanta, San Bernidino, Boston Marathon).

Other politicized mass murderers -Like Brevik in Norway, and the Unabomber here in the US-who did it for other non Jihadist political causes- also turned out to be lone wolves.

The perpetrator of the second biggest terrorist act on US soil after 9-11 (and the biggest act of domestic terrorism) was Timothy McVeigh, who was essentially a lone wolf (with only one or two accomplices).

It makes sense that in a country where rugged individualism and “do your own thing” is emphasized the terrorism would be mostly lone wolves. You say that people talk about individualism and in real life are forced into conformity you are right. The frustration of not being able to be the rugged individual as expected is a factor not only in terrorism, but in all sorts of violence.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 8:59 am

These people are usually "lone wolves"----but are frequently peripherally a part of certain radical movements. The leader of these movements frequently view these sorts of "peripheral" people with suspicion.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 9:01 am

Poor bloke. I hope he recovers soon.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 8:17 am

Salman Rushdie Stabbing Suspect ‘Had Contact With Iran’s Revolutionary Guard’

Quote:
The 24-year-old man accused of stabbing author Salman Rushdie had been in direct contact with members of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps on social media, European and Middle Eastern intelligence officials told VICE World News.

A NATO counterterrorism official from a European country said the stabbing had all the hallmarks of a “guided” attack, where an intelligence service talks a supporter into action, without direct support or involvement in the attack itself.

“Close scrutiny needs to be paid to his communications,” said the NATO official, who was not authorised to speak on the record. “More investigation will reveal more information on the exact nature of the links.”

There’s no evidence Iranian officials were involved in organising or orchestrating the attack on Rushdie. Security officials who confirmed the social media contact would not elaborate on the nature of the communications because investigations are ongoing. They would not disclose who initiated the contact, when it took place, or what was discussed.

A Middle Eastern intelligence official said it was “clear” that at some point prior to the attack, Matar had been in contact with “people either directly involved with or adjacent to the Quds Force,” referring to the Revolutionary Guard’s external operations force.

“It’s unclear the extent of the involvement, if this was a directly supported assassination attempt or if it was a series of suggestions and directions in picking a target,” said the official, who could not speak on the record for diplomatic reasons.

Rushdie lived under police protection for more than a decade following the 1988 publication of his novel [i]Satanic Verses[i], which enraged much of the Islamic world with what was widely seen as a heretical depiction of the Prophet Muhammad. Ruhollah Khomeini, then Iran’s supreme leader, issued a fatwa – a religious edict – in 1989 offering a multimillion-dollar reward for Rushdie’s murder.

But in the ensuing decades Iran has rarely mentioned the situation, and over time, concerns for the author’s safety faded.

“A 24-year-old born in the United States did not come up with Salman Rushdie as a target on his own,” the Middle Eastern intelligence official said. “Even an avid consumer of Iranian propaganda would have some difficulty finding references to Rushdie compared to all the other, modern enemies, designated by the regime.”

Matar’s family hail from the South Lebanese town of Yaroun, an area deeply sympathetic to Iran and its local proxy Hezbollah.

There's no indication thus far that Matar had joined the group or received military training on visits to Lebanon. On Saturday, Hezbollah officials asked local journalists to stop visiting the village, according to local media reports.

“Most of the families in Yaroun support the resistance, there is no question of this relationship,” said a mid-level Hezbollah commander from a nearby village that cannot be named for security reasons. “But this boy has nothing to do with Hezbollah. We don’t know him and do not want to be drawn into international intrigues involving people we don’t know.”

A senior Lebanese security official said the US had requested additional information on the possibility of Matar’s travels to Lebanon in an effort to determine if he had received military training from Hezbollah, which maintains a powerful military training infrastructure in both Lebanon and neighbouring Syria.

The Middle Eastern intelligence official said that a handful of Quds Force members taking the chance to inspire and direct an attack would not require high-level approval from the Iranian regime, where the internal security forces from the Revolutionary Guard Corps and military intelligence are often open rivals, directed by political factions.

They said that since the death in 2008 of Imad Mughniyeh – a Hezbollah commander who directed external operations – there had been a “certain sloppiness” in Iranian and Hezbollah operations.

At a press briefing on Monday, Iran’s foreign ministry said Rushdie “and his supporters are to blame for what happened to him.”

Spokesperson Nasser Kanaani said Iran had no information about Matar except what had already appeared in news reports.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 8:30 am

This is not surprising in the least.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 4:11 pm

Rushdie's "crime" was committed twenty years before the attacker was born.

So the attacker couldnt have had any gut anger towards the victim (probably had never even heard of Rushdie) - unless he had been indoctrinated.

Another young hot head exploited as cannon fodder by a cult.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 5:15 pm

Salman Rushdie attacker praises Iran’s ayatollah, surprised author survived: jailhouse interview

Quote:
The New Jersey man who allegedly stabbed Salman Rushdie in Western New York last week praised Iran’s Ayatollah Khomeini in an exclusive jailhouse interview with The Post on Wednesday — and admitted he didn’t think the author would survive the attack.

“When I heard he survived, I was surprised, I guess,” Hadi Matar, of Fairview, NJ, said in a video interview from the Chautauqua County Jail.

The 24-year-old was mum on whether he was inspired by the late Iranian supreme leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issuing a fatwa, or edict, calling for Rushdie’s death in 1989 over the author’s book “The Satanic Verses,” citing a warning by his defense attorney.

“I respect the ayatollah. I think he’s a great person. That’s as far as I will say about that,” Matar said, noting he only “read like two pages” of Rushdie’s controversial novel.

“I read a couple pages. I didn’t read the whole thing cover to cover,” he said.

The accused stabber denied being in contact with Iran’s Revolutionary Guard and alluded to acting completely alone.

He said he was inspired to go to Chautauqua after seeing a tweet sometime in the winter announcing Rushdie’s visit.

“I don’t like the person. I don’t think he’s a very good person,” he said about Rushdie. “I don’t like him. I don’t like him very much.

“He’s someone who attacked Islam, he attacked their beliefs, the belief systems

Accused Salman Rushdie stabber held without bail after DA cites Post interview
Quote:
The New Jersey man who allegedly stabbed Salman Rushdie at a literary event in Western New York has been indicted by a grand jury — and he was denied bail on Thursday in part because of his jailhouse interview with The Post.

Hadi Matar, 24, pleaded not guilty to the charges of attempted murder and assault during his arraignment in Chautauqua County Court on Thursday.

Prosecutors requested that Matar be remanded without bail, citing comments he made to The Post from jail on Wednesday praising the late Iranian leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, who had issued a fatwa, or edict, calling for Rushdie’s death in 1989 over his novel “The Satanic Verses.”

“Mr. Matar’s financial ability exceeds any amount this court can set, no matter how high, Judge, due to the sympathy and alignment of his personal views with an entire nation and countless other groups and organizations with vast financial resources,” Chautauqua County District Attorney Jason Schmidt said, referring to Iran.

“He himself put that issue out there when he chose to give an interview with a New York Post reporter,” Schmidt continued.

chmidt said “it’s clear that he deliberately targeted Mr. Rushdie” and added that “during his New York Post interview, which was then broadcast to the world,” Matar was “targeting Mr. Rushdie again.”

MORE ON:
SALMAN RUSHDIE
Why Salman Rushdie’s ‘The Satanic Verses’ shouldn’t be so controversial
Alleged Salman Rushdie attacker gives jailhouse interview
Salman Rushdie interviewer reveals eye injuries from defending novelist
Salman Rushdie’s ‘The Satanic Verses’ tops Amazon bestsellers lists after author stabbed
Judge David Foley agreed to keep Matar behind bars without bail.

The district attorney said following the hearing that Matar’s interview included statements that have “not… been made to law enforcement, so it’s something that I can use.”

“Of course, anytime there’s a statement, I’m going to pick it up, we’re going to retrieve it,” Schmidt added.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 4:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Interestingly his attacker was neither Iranian or radical.

He's an American (born in the US) who'se parents are from Lebanon and who was thought to be a "nice guy".

Kind of reminds me of the baby faced Boston bomber who grew up in the states, attended college and had an American girlfriend.

Dude, the Fatwa was issued by Iran's previous Allah-on-Earth as a call for any of his follows to kill the poor guy.

Dogs will follow order.

There's absolutely no difference at all between Hezbollah dogs and Iran. So yes, Iran is involved big time no matter how you try to put it. Let's not forget their first assassination attempt was done by a Hezbollah member too.

The guy is "Lebanese" only on paper, but his allegiance, nationally, spiritually, intellectually, culturally...is entirely for the Islamic Republic of Iran.

Now, regarding the sh***y ret*d Democrat foreign policy: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/8/19/iran

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 10:59 pm

That's horrible what happened to Rushdie. Don't people have brains anymore?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 1:40 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Interestingly his attacker was neither Iranian or radical.

He's an American (born in the US) who'se parents are from Lebanon and who was thought to be a "nice guy".

Kind of reminds me of the baby faced Boston bomber who grew up in the states, attended college and had an American girlfriend.

Dude, the Fatwa was issued by Iran's previous Allah-on-Earth as a call for any of his follows to kill the poor guy.

Dogs will follow order.

There's absolutely no difference at all between Hezbollah dogs and Iran. So yes, Iran is involved big time no matter how you try to put it. Let's not forget their first assassination attempt was done by a Hezbollah member too.

The guy is "Lebanese" only on paper, but his allegiance, nationally, spiritually, intellectually, culturally...is entirely for the Islamic Republic of Iran.

Now, regarding the sh***y ret*d Democrat foreign policy: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/20
22/8/19/iran

Ah that makes sense.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 12:01 am

Salman Rushdie lives, but loses use of eye and hand

Quote:
Salman Rushdie’s agent says the author has lost sight in one eye and the use of a hand as he recovers from an attack from a man who rushed the stage at an August literary event in western New York, according to a published report.

Literary agent Andrew Wylie told the Spanish language newspaper El Pais in an article published Saturday that Rushdie suffered three serious wounds to his neck and 15 more wounds to his chest and torso in the attack that took away sight in an eye and left a hand incapacitated.

Hadi Matar, 24, of Fairview, New Jersey, has been incarcerated after pleading not guilty to attempted murder and assault in the Aug. 12 attack on Rushdie as he was being introduced at the Chautauqua Institution, a rurally located center 55 miles (89 kilometers) southwest of Buffalo that is known for its summertime lecture series.

Wylie told the newspaper he could not say whether Rushdie remained in a hospital or discuss his whereabouts.

“He’s going to live ... That’s the important thing,” Wylie said.

The attack was along the lines of what Rushie and his agent have thought was the “principal danger ... a random person coming out of nowhere and attacking,” Wylie told El Pais.

“So you can’t protect against it because it’s totally unexpected and illogical,” he said.

In a jailhouse interview with The New York Post, Matar said he disliked Rushdie and praised Khomeini. Iran has denied involvement in the attack.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 1:36 am

[quote="ASPartOfMe"]Salman Rushdie lives, but loses use of eye and hand
[quote]

Poor guy. Only consolation for the 75 year old invalid writer is his much younger girlfriend who will be looking after all his needs

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 2:31 pm

6 months after stabbing, Salman Rushdie is back, and he doesn't want your pity

Quote:
Author Salman Rushdie, marking his return to the literary world after a violent attack last year that left him permanently injured, says he doesn't want pity.

“I’ve always tried very hard not to adopt the role of a victim,” he recently told New Yorker magazine editor David Remnick. The story marked Rushdie’s first interview since he was stabbed.

His reappearance as a public figure also included a recent real-life visit to the New York City office of his agent, Andrew Wylie; promotion for his new book, "Victory City," completed before the stabbing; and a vow to eschew feelings of bitterness six months after the attack in western New York.

Rushdie has also expressed little desire to embrace a recluse's life after the midsummer violence at a public, outdoor discussion in Chautauqua, New York.

Yet he acknowledged the attack has caused him disruption and agony. Wylie has said Rushdie will not go on a book tour to promote the publication of "Victory City."

“I’ve found it very, very difficult to write," Rushdie said. "I sit down to write, and nothing happens. I write, but it’s a combination of blankness and junk, stuff that I write and that I delete the next day. I’m not out of that forest yet, really.”

Rushdie spent six weeks in hospital rooms recovering, The New Yorker reported in its feature, published online Monday and scheduled for hard-copy release Feb. 13.

Rushdie said he hasn't second-guessed his lack of security that day. "I blame him," he told The New Yorker in reference to the suspect.

Although he watched his back and used security after instances of riotous Muslim world responses to 1988's "The Satanic Verses," which included a Muhammad character portrayed as human and flawed, Rushdie over time rejected the idea of living in exile or fear.

Rushdie’s 16th novel, “Victory City,” appears to reprise his sharp, self-critical view of humanity. It's presented as the secret history of a circa-1500s empire of humanistic ideals, including gender equality, that it failed to realize. A New York Times review said it displays “haunting, uncanny, predictive power.”

After he moved to New York in 2000, with the virtual bounty of Khomeini's fatwa, or religious ruling, still over his head, Rushdie appeared to behave as if it had never happened, as he was spotted enjoying the city's restaurants and night life like any other celebrity.

The display of living well under a threat of death may have been a mistake, Rushdie told The New Yorker, because people seemed to hate it.

"Not only did I live but I tried to live well," he said. "Bad mistake."

The Chautauqua attack might have changed the world's opinion of him, he joked. "Get fifteen stab wounds, much better," he said.

He said he wants readers to receive him through his books and not consider how such a traumatic event would scar his life's timeline, even as he admitted the incident has tested his resolve.

"You’re just sitting there saying, 'Somebody stuck a knife in me! Poor me,' which I do sometimes think," Rushdie said. "It hurts. But what I don’t think is: That’s what I want people reading the book to think. I want them to be captured by the tale, to be carried away.”

He seems determined to keep digging into his soul for his next novel. The voices of his characters, he has said, emerge in time.

"All I can do is this," he said. "As long as there’s a story that I think is worth giving my time to, then I will."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 3:55 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Dogs will follow order.

It's curious though, when you look at those who think islam has been dishonoured by some westerner they go across nationality, creed and sect.

The fatwah might have been issued by an Iranian but that doesn't mean a fanatic from any other sect or nationality might not miss the opportunity to stick a dagger into Rushdie.

He does not want our sympathy. I'll oblige. He kind of knew the pandora's box he was opening all those years ago when he wrote "Satanic Verses"