Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 8:06 pm

I wonder what the actual Iranian reaction is after all these years, I know they've tried to shed their radical reputation a few times (the whole pariah state thing probably gets old), so I imagine that there might be some stomach acid in Tehran right now. I know my first reaction was something along the lines of "seriously?", Rushdie was so far off my radar as a controversial figure in this day and age.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 8:52 pm

Who Is Hadi Matar? NJ Man Suspected in Salman Rushdie Attack Had Shia Extremist Sympathies

Quote:
The suspect, 24-year-old Hadi Matar, was born in California, but recently moved to New Jersey, according to law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation. His last listed address was in Fairview, a Bergen County borough just across the Hudson River from Manhattan. FBI officials were seen going into the home of Matar Friday evening.

Sources said that Matar also had a fake New Jersey driver's license on him.

State Police Maj. Eugene Staniszewski said the motive for the stabbing was unclear. A preliminary law enforcement review of Matar's social media accounts shows he is sympathetic to Shia extremism and Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps causes, a law enforcement person with direct knowledge of the investigation told NBC News. There are no definitive links to the IRGC but the initial assessment indicates he is sympathetic to the Iranian government group, the official says.

The Chautauqua Institution, about 55 miles southwest of Buffalo in a rural corner of New York, has served for more than a century as a place for reflection and spiritual guidance. Visitors don't pass through metal detectors or undergo bag checks. Most people leave the doors to their century-old cottages unlocked at night.

The Chautauqua center is known for its summertime lecture series, where Rushdie has spoken before.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 9:01 pm

Just when you thought being a writer was a safe profession!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 8:50 am

Yet the Democrats want to do the nuclear agreement with this scum excuse of a nation (Iran).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 5:23 am

Interestingly his attacker was neither Iranian or radical.

He's an American (born in the US) who'se parents are from Lebanon and who was thought to be a "nice guy".

Kind of reminds me of the baby faced Boston bomber who grew up in the states, attended college and had an American girlfriend.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 5:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
Interestingly his attacker was neither Iranian or radical.

He's an American (born in the US) who'se parents are from Lebanon and who was thought to be a "nice guy".

Kind of reminds me of the baby faced Boston bomber who grew up in the states, attended college and had an American girlfriend.

Yes. Many of these young folks who get recruited to violence and make the headlines are on the cultural cusp between the Islamic world and the west, and are not from the center of Islamic culture. Precisely because they dont have a grasp of Islamic scripture, or have an insecure identity they fall for this violent ideology.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 5:59 am

This is a testimony to how average kids can be brainwashed. Whether islamic extremists or MAGA terrorists

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 6:01 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Precisely because they dont have a grasp of Islamic scripture, or have an insecure identity they fall for this violent ideology.

It's either their parents or the internet or just drifting into the orbit of some radical mosque

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 7:52 am

That's always the way.

'He was such a nice guy, always said hello.'

'He was so quiet, never any trouble.'

'He was such a good neighbour.'

etc. etc. You can never tell what people are thinking inside...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 8:11 am

KitLily wrote:
That's always the way.

'He was such a nice guy, always said hello.'

'He was so quiet, never any trouble.'

'He was such a good neighbour.'

etc. etc. You can never tell what people are thinking inside...

Yeah. Spree killers (Islamists, other causes, or no cause at all) all seem to be that type.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 8:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
This is a testimony to how average kids can be brainwashed. Whether islamic extremists or MAGA terrorists

Terrorists you say?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 8:47 am

There’s all different types of terrorists…..most definitely.

But we’re talking about Rushdie here. Attacked by some idiot with some vague ideology.

It’s not true that these sorts of attackers and killers are all seen as being “nice people.” Many times, people are vaguely (or less vaguely) troubled by these assailants. And even more frequently, disturbing Internet posts by them are found.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 9:18 am

Some how a lone wolf always ends up being an army of extremists/terrorists.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 10:42 am

Salman Rushdie's 'defiant sense of humour' remains, son says

Quote:
Author Salman Rushdie is still in a critical condition but "his usual feisty and defiant sense of humour remains intact", his son says.

Zafar Rushdie said his father had sustained life-changing injuries, but was able to speak to his family.
Mr Rushdie, 75, was left severely injured after being stabbed on stage at an event in New York state.

The man charged over Friday's attack has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder.

The family were "extremely relieved" when Mr Rushdie was taken off a ventilator on Saturday, he said, adding that his father was able to "say a few words".

"Though his life-changing injuries are severe, his usual feisty and defiant sense of humour remains intact," he said.

Earlier, the author's agent Andrew Wylie said his "road to recovery has begun".
"It will be long; the injuries are severe, but his condition is headed in the right direction," he said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 6:08 pm

I hope he gets much better….fast.

I hope the jerkoff who attacked him gets the max…..in a Supermax.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 7:09 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Some how a lone wolf always ends up being an army of extremists/terrorists.

Always?

I dont think so.

The Columbine Killers turned out to ...have no army ...nor even a cause.

Ditto Aurora, Sandy Hook, etc.

Same with the Las Vegas Shooter, and Nashville Bomber, and the Beltway snipers.

And number of spree killers in the US who did it in the name of Islam -whom everyone assumed were the spearhead of legions-of foreign state sponsored terrorists- turned out to be self appointed lonewolves (Atlanta, San Bernidino, Boston Marathon).

Other politicized mass murderers -Like Brevik in Norway, and the Unabomber here in the US-who did it for other non Jihadist political causes- also turned out to be lone wolves.

The perpetrator of the second biggest terrorist act on US soil after 9-11 (and the biggest act of domestic terrorism) was Timothy McVeigh, who was essentially a lone wolf (with only one or two accomplices).