Page 4 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 12:21 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think that tech and human economics needs to be balanced someway too because I am very afraid of the effect automation and AI and outsourcing and robots will have when we have maybe somewhere around 40 to 50 percent of jobs gone for good.Like people like me can only get a job working at a place lke McD's and whats gonna happen when McJobs go away.
cnd dropping the need for 7 years iI would exempt all companies from paying any taxes if I could and I think a lot of jobs would be added.I would abolish all our public schools and colleges and universities and privatize our school system instead of giving way more funding to it..I would also abolish all federal taxes for millionaires and billionaires so they could start more companies.I would also abolish the min wage and make all McJobs only get paid by tips and/or maybe a min wage of a dollar an hour so way for more McJobs could be added so more people could learn how to work their butt off when they are young.I would also abolish 90 percent of all business regulations.I would also make it where states could not have a higher min wage than the federal min wage if we still have min wage.I would abolish all social security and medicare and medicaid because social security is the reason why I am dirt poor.I would defund every public school ,charter and college and university because they cant do a good job educating Americans for the most part.I would also abolish the min wage or make it a dollar an hour for the next generation or longer.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 21 Aug 2022, 2:54 am, edited 8 times in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 12:48 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Exactly what "attitudes" are you complaining about? Just a vehement opposition to differing viewpoints, or something else?

She said, condescendingly, while insinuating base motives.

Mona Pereth wrote:
I would suspect that a lot of these migrants are not just "leftists" but people who have actually been harmed by right wing culture, e.g. LGBTQ+ people who grew up in the Bible Belt. (I used to know a fair number of such migrants here in NYC; I suspect that they are even more likely to gravitate to West Coast cities.)

So, you don't live here or otherwise have anyway of knowing who I'm talking about and what their deal is, but you're going to make your own assumptions about them and their motivations and then "correct" me about them? It's like you're going out of your way to display the exact behavior I'm talking about in my posts, while claiming ignorance of it at the same time, it's quite remarkable.

The really funny part is that quite a few of these people are actually from small towns that they describe as stifling and conformist, yet once they gather a critical mass in a city such as Seattle, they quickly begin enforcing their own stiflingly conformist views on everyone else, with absolutely no sense of the irony. It's right up there with people fleeing blue states because of high crime, expensive housing, and business killing regulations, and then immediately voting for Democrats promising the exact same policies in the red states they move to, it's like the definition of insanity in political form.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 1:19 am

Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Exactly what "attitudes" are you complaining about? Just a vehement opposition to differing viewpoints, or something else?

Mona Pereth wrote:
I would suspect that a lot of these migrants are not just "leftists" but people who have actually been harmed by right wing culture, e.g. LGBTQ+ people who grew up in the Bible Belt. (I used to know a fair number of such migrants here in NYC; I suspect that they are even more likely to gravitate to West Coast cities.)

So, you don't live here or otherwise have anyway of knowing who I'm talking about and what their deal is, but you're going to make your own assumptions about them and their motivations and then "correct" me about them? It's like you're going out of your way to display the exact behavior I'm talking about in my posts, while claiming ignorance of it at the same time, it's quite remarkable.

The really funny part is that quite a few of these people are actually from small towns that they describe as stifling and conformist, yet once they gather a critical mass in a city such as Seattle, they quickly begin enforcing their own stiflingly conformist views on everyone else, with absolutely no sense of the irony. It's right up there with people fleeing blue states because of high crime, expensive housing, and business killing regulations, and then immediately voting for Democrats promising the exact same policies in the red states they move to, it's like the definition of insanity in political form.

I wish you would tell that to the Democratic Californians moving to the Lone Star State.lol.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 5:57 am

The left wing economic belief that I am most open to are labor unions in all 50 states for college grads so I have changed that way.I think that millennials should be paid more than the Baby Boomers were so thats very left of me and I have changed on that.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 10:11 am

The arrogant,bullying, pig ignorant boys who made my time at British public school an utter misery- they shaped my political views , not ASD.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 10:16 am

firemonkey wrote:
The arrogant,bullying, pig ignorant boys who made my time at British public school an utter misery- they shaped my political views , not ASD.

Why were you in public school? Was this to give you a shot at "upward mobility"?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 2:27 pm

MaxE wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Why were you in public school? Was this to give you a shot at "upward mobility"?

Ir was the done thing then for the children of diplomats.My father took early retirement from the Foreign office after serving as British consul general to Atlanta. He turned down being British ambassador to the Gabon etc.He stayed in Atlanta after retiring and several years later moved to Charlotte.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 11:18 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

Didn't mean to be condescending or to insinuate base motives. Just asking a clarifying question. I'm sorry if I came across as insinuating anything in particular about you.

Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

So, you don't live here or otherwise have anyway of knowing who I'm talking about and what their deal is, but you're going to make your own assumptions about them and their motivations and then "correct" me about them?

I stated what I "suspect". Are my guesses wrong? If so, how?

Dox47 wrote:
It's like you're going out of your way to display the exact behavior I'm talking about in my posts, while claiming ignorance of it at the same time, it's quite remarkable.

Obviously we have a misunderstanding of some sort here. What, exactly, is this "exact behavior" you are talking about?

Dox47 wrote:
The really funny part is that quite a few of these people are actually from small towns that they describe as stifling and conformist, yet once they gather a critical mass in a city such as Seattle, they quickly begin enforcing their own stiflingly conformist views on everyone else, with absolutely no sense of the irony.

Could you give some specific examples of what you are speaking of as the "stifling conformity" these people impose?

Dox47 wrote:
It's right up there with people fleeing blue states because of high crime, expensive housing, and business killing regulations, and then immediately voting for Democrats promising the exact same policies in the red states they move to, it's like the definition of insanity in political form.

First I'll note that anyone "fleeing blue states because of high crime" has a very out-of-date notion of which states have especially high violent crime rates. Most of the more dangerous cities are in red or purple states, not blue states. See:

- Crime In America: Study Reveals The 10 Most Unsafe Cities - Forbes, Feb 23, 2022
- Most Violent Cities in America 2022 - World Population Review
- Crime Rate by State 2022 - World Population Review

On the other hand, expensive housing is indeed a genuine, up-to-date reason to flee at least some of the blue states. The main reason housing is so expensive here is the combination of (1) restrictive zoning laws and (2) market demand -- the fact that so many people prefer to live here, in the first place.

As for so-called "business-killing regulations": It would seem that they're NOT, in fact, killing very many of our businesses here. If they did, the economies here would totally crash, our cities would be ghost towns, and real estate values would plummet. Not even the most restrictive zoning laws in the world would be enough to prop them up. Obviously, that's not happening here.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 12:43 am

I just watched United Shades Of America with Kamau Bell, dealing with Antifa, BLM, the John Brown Gun Club, and other leftist organizations operating against Neo-Nazis and Proud Boy types in the Seattle area, and not once did I get the impression that these people were at all trying to demean or suppress the right. If anything, Kamau Bell was accosted by a MAGA type on the streets of Seattle at one point, which is something I've never seen happen on my more conservative side of the Cascades. In short, I have to question just how much of this right baiting is really happening, and how much is one poster perhaps exaggerating "leftist abuse."

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 2:43 pm

To TexasMoneyMan: See my reply to a similar post of yours in another thread.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 11:35 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Didn't mean to be condescending or to insinuate base motives. Just asking a clarifying question. I'm sorry if I came across as insinuating anything in particular about you.

Okay, I'll apply Hanlon's Razor, but selective demands for rigor coupled with scare quotes comes off as very aggressive.

Mona Pereth wrote:

Yes, most of these people (in my experience) are not "victims of right wing culture", but simply weirdos who didn't get along with the locals where they grew up, like all the goths in middle America are drawn here like a magnet.

Mona Pereth wrote:
Obviously we have a misunderstanding of some sort here. What, exactly, is this "exact behavior" you are talking about?

Smug, condescending, certain, those are a few of the words I'd use. Look at how often you're insisting that my observations about the people around me can't be true, when I'm describing my own personal experiences built on years of living in the same place, a place you don't actually know. I've also been quite vocal and detailed about what annoys me about these people, so the demands for details reads as a bad faith attempt to waste my time, I think some of you have a word for it even.

Mona Pereth wrote:
Could you give some specific examples of what you are speaking of as the "stifling conformity" these people impose?

I suspect you know full well what I mean, but are attempting to bait me into saying something "problematic". Let's just say that they insist that everyone have the same exact views on everything, and harshly punish defectors from the consensus. I saw it happen to local businesses over and over again, the owner or an employee doesn't completely agree with the current progressive orthodoxy, or god forbid once said something years ago that's now deemed offensive that was recorded, and the firestorm begins, from review bombings to protests at the business to pressure being brought on advertisers, renters, landlords, etc, until the hostage video apology was extracted or the business went under.

Mona Pereth wrote:
First I'll note that anyone "fleeing blue states because of high crime" has a very out-of-date notion of which states have especially high violent crime rates. Most of the more dangerous cities are in red or purple states, not blue states...

Let me stop you right there.

LOL, lecturing me about the place I live with data produced by the people I don't trust, and so certain, no hedging or maybes or anything. Maybe you actually believe it yourself, maybe not, you could be one of those people who will light themself on fire rather than acknowledge the other team might have a point from time to time, we've got a few of those around here.

OGMacgyver
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Aug 2022, 6:31 pm

Since Autistic people are hyper-logical thinkers, I'm completely shocked that 90% of Autistic people(at least around here) are liberal. Most of what liberals believe in is completly illogical.

Legalizing crime, outlawing self defense, the immigration invasion, morbid obsession with identity politics, liberal indoctrination, brainwashing kids to think they're the wrong gender. A couple of other things I'm forgetting.

Maybe its just me that's hyper-logical. Or maybe there's more than one logic and my brain is programmed with a different logic than the liberal brain.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 9:21 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

Yes, most of these people (in my experience) are not "victims of right wing culture", but simply weirdos who didn't get along with the locals where they grew up, like all the goths in middle America are drawn here like a magnet.

I should have specified victims of Christian religious right wing culture -- not the same thing as your own personal brand of right wing. Based on what I've heard from goths I've known, goth refugees from the Bible Belt are often people who didn't just fail to get along with the locals, but were assumed to be literally under the influence of demons and were treated accordingly. At the very least, just about everything they liked was considered sinful. Can you imagine what it's like to grow up surrounded by such attitudes?

Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

Smug, condescending, certain, those are a few of the words I'd use. Look at how often you're insisting that my observations about the people around me can't be true, when I'm describing my own personal experiences built on years of living in the same place, a place you don't actually know.

You know the current behavior of these people better than I do. But, unless you've actually talked to a lot of Bible Belt refugees in-depth about their background, you don't necessarily fully understand what motivates them. I've talked to quite a few Bible Belt refugees over the years, and I've also made a point of learning about the history of the religious right wing. So you and I have knowledge of different aspects of the situation.

Dox47 wrote:
I've also been quite vocal and detailed about what annoys me about these people, so the demands for details reads as a bad faith attempt to waste my time,

If you can conveniently do so, it would be helpful if you could link to some threads in which in you discussed this in detail. That's how I sometimes respond when asked my opinion on topics I've already discussed at length.

[snip speculation on my motives]

Dox47 wrote:
Let's just say that they insist that everyone have the same exact views on everything, and harshly punish defectors from the consensus. I saw it happen to local businesses over and over again, the owner or an employee doesn't completely agree with the current progressive orthodoxy, or god forbid once said something years ago that's now deemed offensive that was recorded, and the firestorm begins, from review bombings to protests at the business to pressure being brought on advertisers, renters, landlords, etc, until the hostage video apology was extracted or the business went under.

If people are launching such campaigns over literally just one thing that an employee once said years ago, then I agree that that's excessive. On the other hand, if a business has a longstanding, pervasive pattern of disrespectful behavior toward members of historically marginalized minority groups, then I think that's a legitimate target of protest.

Personally I think the main problem here is that today's social media have both (1) made it too easy to launch such campaigns and (2) made it too easy for people to live in bubbles in which they can "insta-block" anyone whom they have even the slightest disagreement with.

Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
First I'll note that anyone "fleeing blue states because of high crime" has a very out-of-date notion of which states have especially high violent crime rates. Most of the more dangerous cities are in red or purple states, not blue states...

Let me stop you right there.

LOL, lecturing me about the place I live with data produced by the people I don't trust, and so certain, no hedging or maybes or anything. Maybe you actually believe it yourself, maybe not, you could be one of those people who will light themself on fire rather than acknowledge the other team might have a point from time to time, we've got a few of those around here.

If you don't think crime statistics reflect reality, what do you see as the main sources of error? In particular, what sources of error would make the stats artificially low in blue states and/or artificially high in red states?

I do know that New York City, in particular, has become a lot safer, overall, during the past few decades. Within the past 2 or 3 years we've had a mini crime wave, but nothing remotely like a return to the bad old days.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2022, 11:03 am

As others have pointed out, autism alone has no bearing on one's political beliefs.

However, autism combined with one or more other factors can influence your political beliefs.

For example, let's combine autism with race:

A lot of whites on the spectrum (myself included) are conservative. Which is no surprise. A certain political party pushes the idea that whites (especially white men) are privileged. Yet those of us on the spectrum feel anything but privileged. It's no wonder a lot of us vote against the party that calls us the most privileged creatures on earth.

Also, contrary to popular belief, whites can and do face racism. From what I've seen, whites on the spectrum are more likely than neurotypical whites to have faced racism (I have a few theories on why this might be). If you've faced racism for being white, all the more reason to not support the Democrats.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 11:11 am

SkinnyElephant wrote:
As others have pointed out, autism alone has no bearing on one's political beliefs.

However, autism combined with one or more other factors can influence your political beliefs.

For example, let's combine autism with race:

A lot of whites on the spectrum (myself included) are conservative. Which is no surprise. A certain political party pushes the idea that whites (especially white men) are privileged. Yet those of us on the spectrum feel anything but privileged. It's no wonder a lot of us vote against the party that calls us the most privileged creatures on earth.

Also, contrary to popular belief, whites can and do face racism. From what I've seen, whites on the spectrum are more likely than neurotypical whites to have faced racism (I have a few theories on why this might be). If you've faced racism for being white, all the more reason to not support the Democrats.

I said somewhat the same thing a few posts back, although from the point of view of somebody who is not themselves conservative. But then I've also experienced white privilege more than once however it's my impression many whites, male or female, don't recognize when they benefit from white privilege as it seems natural to them. There's another possibility as well (which I don't think I mentioned previously) is that people on the spectrum often say things to others that offend those people, without even knowing they've offended, and the other person's response might be interpreted as "reverse racism" if the other person was non-white. I believe this has happened to me when I was younger and hadn't yet trained myself to consciously avoid "aspie faux pas".

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2022, 11:15 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

First I'll note that anyone "fleeing blue states because of high crime" has a very out-of-date notion of which states have especially high violent crime rates. Most of the more dangerous cities are in red or purple states, not blue states.

In deep red southern states (Mississippi, Missouri, Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc), there are pockets of deep blue. The crime in red states tends to be concentrated in deep blue areas.

Nashville, Memphis, Saint Louis, Little Rock, Jackson, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Kansas City, for example, are all deep blue (despite being in deep red states)