Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2022, 3:00 pm

Do people with Autism and aAspergers think the same way politically?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 3:03 pm

Quinntilda wrote:
LOL!

Have you really never read through even ONE PP&R thread?

Seriously, autism has no bearing on political opinions.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 3:04 pm

Quick answer: No

Longer Answer: Take a peek into the 'Politics, Philosophy, and Religion' section of this forum to see many political views.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2022, 6:09 pm

I believe certain life experiences can shape your political views. The neurodiversity movement for instance was started by autistic people. But of course there are exceptions. There are autistic people who don't support neurodiversity and want a cure for autism. There are autistic people that are involved with Autism Speaks, like Carly Fleischmann and Kerry Magro, but this organization is not supported by the majority of autistic people.

As a disabled person one of the biggest reasons I vote democrat is because they want universal healthcare, which we don't have in the US. I have conditions which require me to see doctors more often than a healthy person does, and its frustrating to have to double check your insurance to make sure your doctor accepts them, where if we had universal healthcare I could just find a good rated doctor online and make an appointment. There are also cases where there aren't any doctors that both accept your insurance AND understand your medical condition, especially when you have a condition that isn't common. Granted I would be supportive of universal healthcare anyway. No one should have a 10K hospital bill.

Interestingly I have an acquaintance who receives SSI but isn't supportive of universal healthcare which I dont understand. He believes the quality of healthcare will go down and there will be huge wait times. He has insurance from a company that provides insurance to low income people, and told me every doctor accepts his insurance, which isn't true as I have doctors who don't accept it. Even if it were true, why wouldn't he want everyone to have that kind of insurance.

He is also a racist. We got into a conversation aboutr Black Lives Matter, a movement I support. He told me he believes that the police target black people because black people are more likely to commit crimes and told me how many black people are anti semitic and hate Jews (we are both Jewish). But he also told me he had a black friend who was an exception and defended him when he was jumped on but reminded me this friend is an exception and not the majority. That's why I don't talk to him anymore.

He mainly votes republican of course, the very party that wants to cut the government benefits he depends on.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 8:37 pm

I lean politically based on life experiences. Because I'm on SSDI, I must defend it or lose it which also leads me towards being against privatization of any services.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 8:43 pm

No, it doesn't.

My own beliefs are more or less centrist, in that I hold a roughly equal percentage of center-right and center-left views.

However, my views regarding the economy are geographically based and also focus on how to balance human needs and technology.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 8:46 pm

Grew up with liberal parents.
That was enough to turn me into a conservative for life at age 14.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 11:02 pm

I laughed when I read the title of this thread, because we each have our own political views. I'm a social conservative. I'm Pro-Life but I also support the LGBTQ community.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 11:17 pm

Raptor wrote:

It's weird how that works differently for some people, I've seen people spend their whole lives rebelling against their parents' beliefs and others conforming to them just as vehemently, sometimes within the same family. I think it must be genetic.

In my case, it wasn't really my parents I rebelled against but the local power structure in general; growing up in Seattle the liberals ran everything and still do, so I got to see all of their foibles and hypocrisies up close and personal, where as conservatives were largely hypothetical as we really didn't have any locally. Honestly I'd probably have largely the same opinions but a different tilt if I'd grown up in a small religious town or something, my hate for the left is as much about attitude as it is about policy, and that might have been different if I'd grown up around overbearing conservatives instead of liberals. It's actually kind of interesting to me that in some ways the liberal control of the media might work against them in that they're impossible to completely avoid, I don't get riled up by conservatives telling me that liberals suck, it's the liberals themselves who do it, and not being able to get away from the liberal suckage just makes me hate them more.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 11:26 pm

I don’t virulently hate conservatives like that.

The hypocrisy is not because they are liberals….but because they are politicians.

Are conservative politicians, somehow, above hypocrisy?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 11:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t virulently hate conservatives like that.

The hypocrisy is not because they are liberals….but because they are politicians.

Are conservative politicians, somehow, above hypocrisy?

I'm not talking about just the politicians, I'm talking about the rank and file, maybe even mostly the rank and file. I'll take honest dummies over midwits who think they're geniuses any day, and the Democrats are midwits all the way down.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 1:49 am

Based on this website, no autistic people in general do not agree on political issues over all. That is why I think ideas of making an autistic community of only autistics would still go bad, we for sure do not all agree with each other. So it would not be a utopia us autistic people would like still have conflicts and the autistic utopia would not seem so magical after the first couple days for sure.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:12 am

Quinntilda wrote:

No.Take me for example I voted for Trump both times.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 13 Aug 2022, 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:22 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
No, it doesn't.

My own beliefs are more or less centrist, in that I hold a roughly equal percentage of center-right and center-left views.

However, my views regarding the economy are geographically based and also focus on how to balance human needs and technology.

I think that tech and human economics needs to be balanced someway too because I am very afraid of the effect automation and AI and outsourcing and robots will have when we have maybe somewhere around 40 to 50 percent of jobs gone for good.Like people like me can only get a job working at a place lke McD's and whats gonna happen when McJobs go away.What are your geographically based views specific to Texas?However I do have some very liberal belief because I think personal property is less than ideal and I wish we could do away with it but my thoughts are not based on Marxism in that way.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 8:49 am

No, but I think it might have some effect on our political views. According to the stereotype, autistic people are more likely to have black and white thinking than average people, which is why I think that autistic people might be more likely to be either far left or far right than average. There seem to be many far right people on this forum, and I know many far left autistic people IRL. Of course, this doesn't mean everyone and even among autistic people there are those who agree with left on some things and with right on others.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 9:34 am

Dox47 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

It's weird how that works differently for some people, I've seen people spend their whole lives rebelling against their parents' beliefs and others conforming to them just as vehemently, sometimes within the same family. I think it must be genetic.

In my case, it wasn't really my parents I rebelled against but the local power structure in general; growing up in Seattle the liberals ran everything and still do, so I got to see all of their foibles and hypocrisies up close and personal, where as conservatives were largely hypothetical as we really didn't have any locally. Honestly I'd probably have largely the same opinions but a different tilt if I'd grown up in a small religious town or something, my hate for the left is as much about attitude as it is about policy, and that might have been different if I'd grown up around overbearing conservatives instead of liberals. It's actually kind of interesting to me that in some ways the liberal control of the media might work against them in that they're impossible to completely avoid, I don't get riled up by conservatives telling me that liberals suck, it's the liberals themselves who do it, and not being able to get away from the liberal suckage just makes me hate them more.

For me it's excessive preachiness and hypocrisy from either side that seems to drive people, including kids, off. It's the tenets of modem liberalism that keeps them away for life. Admittedly, most of the people I've known have been conservatives but the lesser number of liberals have been much more loud and obnoxious. So much so that their loudness and obnoxiousness acts as a force multiplier so that it seems there are more of them than their actual number.

Hypocrisy?
Case in point: Richard
Richard was a died in the wool liberal that I used to work with but is now retired.
Richard continuously whined about how conservatives were racist and kept the poor down. If he heard someone complain about the service they received at a restaurant he'd ask them where they got the balls to complain about something so insignificant when minorities and the poor throughout this terrible country were being made to suffer under austere conservative policy. He actually did do that once that I recall and that is just one example.

Richard loved to pretend to be rich. He drove a white Jaguar, drank expensive whine, dined at expensive restaurants and took expensive vacations. I once overheard a conversation where someone had seen him make a risky U-turn in traffic when he could have used the entrance way of a mobile home park right there and wait for a safe gap in the traffic flow. His response was that he would never allow himself to be seen coming or going from a trailer park.
I alone overheard a phone conversation with his wife where he used the N word and told her he'd never trust one with money. I could tell by the lovey-dovey tone that it was his wife.
I could write a book about Richard in the few years I knew him. He is not the only liberal like that that I've known.