Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 12:04 am

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/migh ... 01171.html

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:25 pm

I love the city but as one resisting the return to the office and well aware of how few other have … hm. I’ll have to think about this.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:48 pm

I visited Frisco in 1980 and in 1987, both times with my parents

My memories
Fisherman's warf
saltwater taffy
clam chowder
colourful little boxes people live in
really steep hills with trams
big pointy scyscraper
Golden Gate bridge
AIDS (my parent's friends kept warning us in 87 to watch out for gay men throwing AIDS darts :roll: )

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 9:33 pm

I attempted to drive up to Frisco from LA but instead of taking I-5 all the way I spent too much time on the PCH stopping and taking pictures an whatnot. Awesome drive in a rented Mustang convertible with the top down. I made it as far as Monterey and it was almost dark by then so I said f*ck it. I haven't been back to Cali since and have no desire to again.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 10:38 pm

cyberdad wrote:

My memories
Fisherman's warf
saltwater taffy
clam chowder
big pointy scyscraper
Golden Gate bridge
AIDS (my parent's friends kept warning us in 87 to watch out for gay men throwing AIDS darts :roll: )

The big pointy skyscraper is the Transamerica Pyramid, built in 1972.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 10:46 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

My memories
Fisherman's warf
saltwater taffy
clam chowder
big pointy scyscraper
Golden Gate bridge

It's iconic!! I actually use the Golden gate bridge as a background on my zoom meetings :D

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 11:39 pm

Guys, there is one thing that shows you don’t know the city well more than anything else.

Please.

Don’t.

Call.

It.

Frisco.

SF or The City will do. Never Frisco.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 11:42 pm

Raptor wrote:
I attempted to drive up to Frisco from LA but instead of taking I-5 all the way I spent too much time on the PCH stopping and taking pictures an whatnot. Awesome drive in a rented Mustang convertible with the top down. I made it as far as Monterey and it was almost dark by then so I said f*ck it. I haven't been back to Cali since and have no desire to again.

That stretch of highway is incredibly beautiful. Good choice, really.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 11:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:

My memories
Fisherman's warf
saltwater taffy
clam chowder
big pointy scyscraper
Golden Gate bridge

I remember Muir Woods (nice) across the bridge, the hills, the grinding cable system for the trams that never stops, the stench of urine, and the hordes of homeless.

Oh God, the homeless.

I was there during Thanksgiving one year, it was like a zombie apocalypse. There were soup kitchens in every alley, and the homeless descended upon the city from the surrounding part of the state. But they all collectively forgot to order any porta-potties! What are those folks gonna do after a hearty meal!?

I was happy to escape into the Yosemite national park for a day, but had to return to the horror the following night.

I just figured this would be a fun thread since some members like Tim_Tex once said it was a "model city".

Chowder in a sourdough bowl was decent, but it didn't blow my hair back. Back then I still had hair.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 11:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

My memories
Fisherman's warf
saltwater taffy
clam chowder
big pointy scyscraper
Golden Gate bridge

It's iconic!! I actually use the Golden gate bridge as a background on my zoom meetings :D

I have some stunners I’ve taken of the bridge.

I can’t use backgrounds on my zoom meetings, though. For reasons even my software engineer son hasn’t been able to solve, the software can’t tell where I end and the background starts, so it cuts me off in ways that look bizarre.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 12:36 am

I remember the first time i heard of Frisco was when I watching Full House way back in the day.I wish I could of gone to Frisco back in the day.I would like to go to Frisco someday possibly if things ever get better there.I also remember reading about the earthquakes in Frisco.Obviously living in Frisco would be very unsuitable to someone like me but I am sure visiting Frisco and the Golden Gate Bridge would be fun.I also like that one song about Frisco that was a big hit in 1967.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 12:47 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I remember the first time i heard of Frisco was when I watching Full House way back in the day.I wish I could of gone to Frisco back in the day.I would like to go to Frisco someday possibly if things ever get better there.I also remember reading about the earthquakes in Frisco.Obviously living in Frisco would be very unsuitable to someone like me but I am sure visiting Frisco and the Golden Gate Bridge would be fun.I also like that one song about Frisco that was a big hit in 1967.

Are you trying to rattle me on purpose with all those Friscos?

Natives to San Francisco and the surrounding areas HATE it when people call the city Frisco. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 1:29 am

r00tb33r wrote:
I remember Muir Woods (nice)

I loved Muir Woods. We bought lots of little souvenir mementos made of Sequoia wood back to Australia. I couldn't believe my eyes that Sequoia trees were real, they were so tall.

If I come back I will make it a point to visit Yoesmite as I want to see the geysers.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 1:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
If I come back I will make it a point to visit Yoesmite as I want to see the geysers.

I think Yellowstone is the place for that.

I think Yosemite is prettier overall though. If you like mountains and sequoias that is.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 1:37 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I can’t use backgrounds on my zoom meetings, though. For reasons even my software engineer son hasn’t been able to solve, the software can’t tell where I end and the background starts, so it cuts me off in ways that look bizarre.

My brother is a double major in electrical and software engineering and he doesn't know anything about computers...boards, electrical power grids and coding no problems :lol:

A few things I found through trial and error
1. check how old your Mac or PC is?
2. what version operating system are using?
3. what type of browser are you using and what version?
4, what type of zoom are using (commercial or free)?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 1:40 am

r00tb33r wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I think Yellowstone is the place for that.

I think Yosemite is prettier overall though. If you like mountains and sequoias that is.

Ah! I assumed Yellowstone is inside Yosemite! am I right they are both in California?