Don't like being on the road sometimes

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 10:43 am

Sometimes I dislike driving a car because I can't stand being tailgated and looking like I'm being followed by the same driver behind me, and trying to get into lanes in places when traffic is bad and being beeped at even having someone shout at me for not coming out onto the road when they were turning a different way and they were clearly not going to cross the road in front of me as I thought they would even though I could see their light signalling to make a right turn.
It then makes seem like I am a nutter on the roads who doesn't know what he is doing.

It does still do my head in when people accuse those who don't drive as having a difficult life relying on public transport. It does cost money public transport but surely even driving costs money too. It seems as though it is a requirement and that if you are 17 or 18 and don't drive its as though there is something wrong with you if you don't drive. It still kind of envies me when someone of that age passes their test with confidence and has his/her own car whereas I didn't and found the lessons quite anxiety-inducing especially when it kept stalling and makes me think ''Why didn't I have the same confidence as they did?'' An automatic car to me seems to me more comfortable than a manual one where I'd have to keep changing gears even whilst driving along a straight motorway. I also can't understand why some people argue that an automatic car makes you lazy or something because you are not doing as much on the road whilst driving than you do in a manual car.

Last edited by chris1989 on 13 Aug 2022, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 10:47 am

At least you drive a car.

I started driving when I was way older than you.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 11:11 am

Driving is terrifying. I've started learning to drive recently and I absolutely hate it. I have processing issues, so it's hard to pay attention to and process everything going on. I especially hate when people get aggressive or tailgate me even when I'm not doing anything wrong, since it gives me anxiety and makes it even harder for me to drive. I'd greatly prefer to rely on public transportation, but I live in the U.S. and we have absolutely s**t public transportation. You can't do that here unless you live directly in a city.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 6:48 pm

I've decided not to get my license or drive. I care too much about the environment. I'd also be a lousy driver.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 8:46 pm

I live in a suburb of the capital city of the state but public transport here is pretty schit. I still don't drive because driving/owning a car is associated with so many problems, such as car dealer ripping you off, maintenance costs, registration & licensing cost, rising fuel cost, road rage, possibility of running over and killing someone, possibility of accidents caused by reckless drivers around you, possibility of a legal battle after the accident, possibility of having to pay a life-ruining amount of money after the accident, etc. Not worth it.

Where I live, public transport is cheaper than owning/driving a car.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 8:15 am

Public transport in many places out of large metro areas is nonexistent.

Not having a car causes lots of problems for people who cannot drive….including not being able to obtain decent employment.

There’s a person here who might be denied a job of her dreams because she doesn’t own a car.