Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 6:17 am

In all seriousness, I wonder if this has put back plans to study the outer planets by decades.... Small gas giants like Uranus and Neptune are apparently one of the most common types of planet in the Galaxy. And despite being very similar in size, there are a lot of difference between Uranus and Neptune, so we could learn a lot from them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 7:01 am

Yes. Roughtly the same size. Both are the same shade of blue. So they are twins in my mind. But they have differences, and doubtless we would find more if we 'probed' them.

They have found 'super earths' around other stars. Some of these super earths are probably really runt versions of Uranus and Nepture, and not really overgrown versions of Venus or Earth.

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 8:35 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
There is a town in Connecticut called Mianus. I wonder if that's where the probe will be launched.

I don't know but when the first colony is built on a Uranian moon, it better be named New Mianus.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 7:43 pm

There's a Planet Trail in my town. The model planets were taken down for a couple of years, but now they're back. I pass Jupiter and Saturn regularly. A couple of weeks ago I passed close enough to Uranus I could've reached out and touched it, but I thought that might get weird.