Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 8:45 pm

Maybe we should agree just to call it “the seventh planet from the Sun” or “7th Rock”.

Wikipedia says:

Uranus is the seventh planet from the Sun. Its name is a reference to the Greek god of the sky, Uranus, who, according to Greek mythology, was the great-grandfather of Ares (Mars), grandfather of Zeus (Jupiter) and father of Cronus (Saturn). It has the third-largest planetary radius and fourth-largest planetary mass in the Solar System. Uranus is similar in composition to Neptune, and both have bulk chemical compositions which differ from that of the larger gas giants Jupiter and Saturn. For this reason, scientists often classify Uranus and Neptune as "ice giants" to distinguish them from the other giant planets.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 8:52 pm

Fenn wrote:
Did I correctly hear that Urethra Franklin will be asked to sing “Until You Come Back to Me” when the probe enters Uranus’ atmosphere?

No.

Theyre gonna play "Danny Boy". Also known as "the Londonderry Aire".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 6:33 am

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 8:32 am

Fun fact: the planet was originally going to be called "Georgium Sidus", after King George III of England and Scotland. I'm not sure what it says about him that "Uranus" was the replacement name....

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 11:02 am

So I am now wondering how I feel about missing out on Planet George.

The other name seriously considered was “Neptune”. I guess they just used that one later.

To think that in grade school I could have been memorizing “Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, George, Neptune and Pluto”

In the 1980s Voyager 2 probed Uranus. I remember smirking every time the guy in the conservative suit on the tv called it “URIN-iss” with a very somber face trying to avoid saying “your-ANUS”.

Voyager 2 visited Uranus and took pictures on January 24, 1986. It launched August 20, 1977.

I was 9 years old in 1977 and 18 in 1986.

The wikipedia has this footnote:
Because, in the English-speaking world, the latter sounds like "your anus", the former pronunciation also saves embarrassment: as Pamela Gay, an astronomer at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, noted on her podcast, to avoid "being made fun of by any small schoolchildren ... when in doubt, don't emphasise anything and just say /ˈjʊərənəs/. And then run, quickly."[42]

Apparently I was one of those small schoolchildren.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 11:05 am

If it's the correct pronunciation, pronounce it that way----no matter how "funny" it sounds.

I believe it's a Greek word. How do Greeks pronounce it?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 11:19 am

An alternate ancient Greek spelling was "Ouranos". Oar- an- nos. Or Hour-an-nos?

I thought for sure it was Latin, and not Greek, but Wiki says its Greek.

Jupiter is the Roman word of Zeus, and Saturn the Roman word for Chronos, so I thought that Uranus must be the Roman word (and it ends with 'us' like many Latin words). But apparently the Roman word for the god was Caedmeus.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 4:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
An alternate ancient Greek spelling was "Ouranos". Oar- an- nos. Or Hour-an-nos?

I thought for sure it was Latin, and not Greek, but Wiki says its Greek.

Jupiter is the Roman word of Zeus, and Saturn the Roman word for Chronos, so I thought that Uranus must be the Roman word (and it ends with 'us' like many Latin words). But apparently the Roman word for the god was Caedmeus.

The associated Roman god was named Caelus, related to to the word celestial.
Soft C

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 4:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If it's the correct pronunciation, pronounce it that way----no matter how "funny" it sounds.

Well the first element is shared with urine, so Yuranus seems more correct than Ooranus.

Wikitionary notes: By the rules of Latin accentuation, the stress would fall on the first syllable because the "a" is short. The pronunciation with a stress on the second syllable is sometimes avoided today because of the homophony with your anus.

Here's an article about the naming of Uranus: https://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi ... lassic=YES

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 10:12 pm

I'd love to get mine probed. Maybe my problem will be healed.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 10:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

It is an English “loanword” taken from Greek. It is also a Science word which may be used as a loanword in many other languages in the scientific community.

Science words are often Latin.

“… loanwords may be adapted to phonology, phonotactics, orthography, and morphology of the target language.

Some English loanwords remain relatively faithful to the original phonology even though a particular phoneme might not exist or have contrastive status in English.“

- Wikipedia - Loanword

“The pronunciation of the name Uranus preferred among astronomers is /ˈjʊərənəs/ YOOR-ə-nəs,[2] with stress on the first syllable as in Latin Ūranus, in contrast to /jʊˈreɪnəs/ yoo-RAY-nəs, with stress on the second syllable and a long a, though both are considered acceptable.[f]

In a March 1782 treatise, Bode proposed Uranus, the Latinised version of the Greek god of the sky, Ouranos.[46] Bode argued that the name should follow the mythology so as not to stand out as different from the other planets, and that Uranus was an appropriate name as the father of the first generation of the Titans.[46] He also noted that elegance of the name in that just as Saturn was the father of Jupiter, the new planet should be named after the father of Saturn.[40][46][47][48] Bode was however apparently unaware that Uranus was only the Latinised form of the titular deity, and his Roman equivalent was Caelus. In 1789, Bode's Royal Academy colleague Martin Klaproth named his newly discovered element uranium in support of Bode's choice.[49] Ultimately, Bode's suggestion became the most widely used, and became universal in 1850 when HM Nautical Almanac Office, the final holdout, switched from using Georgium Sidus to Uranus.[47]”

- Wikipedia - Uranus

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 12:50 pm

I hope they use lube so Uranus won’t be sore.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 1:02 pm

I'm extremely excited about the idea of probing Uranus. It's practically all I can think about.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 1:52 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I'm extremely excited about the idea of probing Uranus. It's practically all I can think about.

Now were gettin' REALLY kinky.

So...you're into ..."snap on tools"? :o

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 2:05 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Aren't probes artificial devices that are made for the purpose of exploration? What's not exciting about "boldly going where no man has gone before?"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 10:27 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Aren't probes artificial devices that are made for the purpose of exploration? What's not exciting about "boldly going where no man has gone before?"

I cant tell...whether you're being a sincere, and innocent, space-geek. Or whether you're making sly jokes with double entendre. :lol:

Am okay with it either way. Just sayin.