The Calvine Photo: World’s ‘best ever’ UFO image revealed

Page 5 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 11:29 pm

Quote:
I have yet to see an "expert" categorically publish the Calvine photo is fake. Until a hoax is proven beyond a shadow of doubt the identity of the object is left open.

Until it is proven, disbelief is the way to go. That’s my position on all fantastical subjects. When something is proven, my disbelief changes to belief.

Often, UFOs end up being kites, balloons, or hoaxes.

Quote:
On a final note I never once said this object is manned by aliens? I am merely trying to investigate what it is, If it does turn out to be a fake then that's ok too. But let's wait to hear what the boffins think.

And yet, in this same thread, you seemed to imply that crop circles, which have been thoroughly debunked, are not man-made.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 11:36 pm

Quote:
Science arouses a soaring sense of wonder. But so does pseudoscience. Sparse and poor popularizations of science abandon ecological niches that pseudoscience promptly fills. If it were widely understood that claims to knowledge require adequate evidence before they can be accepted, there would be no room for pseudoscience.

Quote:
What counts is not what sounds plausible, not what we would like to believe, not what one or two witnesses claim, but only what is supported by hard evidence rigorously and skeptically examined. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

- Carl Sagan

I’m not accepting evidence until it’s been clearly established. I don’t think there’s much of a possibility for that with these ridiculous photos :lol: , but I’m open to being proven wrong.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 11:54 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
And yet, in this same thread, you seemed to imply that crop circles, which have been thoroughly debunked, are not man-made.

I have been following these paranormal phenomena for many years so I know about what you are referring to.

Crop circles were a big thing in the late 1980s and were causing quite a stir in the international media. Then in 1991 two British Painters, Dave Chorley and Doug Bower claimed they were responsible for all the crop circles in britain using two four foot planks of wood.

As a result the media reported (like the LA times here) that these two men (and other pranksters) apparently were responsible for 2000 crop circles in Southern England. That number was suspiciously high.

Just read the LA times at the time publishing "one of the most puzzling contemporary scientific mysteries in Britain when two men puported they were responsible for the phenomena known as crop circles"
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

This claim gained traction and led to the debunking of all crop circles not just in the UK but also around the world. The problem was the assumption that drunken pranksters were responsible for all crop circles didn't really make sense. Prior to this there were published research on crop circles demonstrating that the stalks were bent over at exact 90 degree angles. there was the presence of background radiation and that many of the circles appeared to farmers on the same day they were in the fields or overnight in the pitch dark. The speed at which these extremely complicated patterns formed were enough to question the capacity for two drunken Englishmen to have done all these thousands of crop circles all over England.

BTW engineering students from Stanford attempt to replicate a moderately difficult crop circle and they concluded they could not replicate the fine detail.

I am not suggesting these weren't man-made, but putting stock in two drunk painters spending all their free time driving across the country creating fairly advanced patterns is a bit too much.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 12:01 am

Most people would find any other explanation “too much” unless they were deep into pseudoscience.

Following something for years does not automatically make one an expert. I had erroneous beliefs for years. Sometimes people get attached to specific ideas which can keep them from recognizing what’s right before them.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 12:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
It seems to me we're way past sightings now. That's been totally routine for decades. Anything short of a close encounter of the third kind is old news.

It's more of historic interest (90% of the reason I posted it). That governments like the US and UK are releasing documents and photos of UFOs they held onto and embargoed for release.

The image harks back to the pre-internet era so the photo is of interest to me.

I used to find it interesting. But nothing has really changed in the last 30 years. What the government released isn't much better than anything else thus far. I think they're as much in the dark about it as everyone else. It seems obvious if there are highly advanced lifeforms involved, they have no intention of letting us pin them down.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 1:10 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I used to find it interesting. But nothing has really changed in the last 30 years. What the government released isn't much better than anything else thus far. I think they're as much in the dark about it as everyone else. It seems obvious if there are highly advanced lifeforms involved, they have no intention of letting us pin them down.

The US, UK and Australian governments also debunked the whole phenomenon in 1969 when they terminated Project Blue Book. They claimed the data did not support anything that was explainable.

The problem was the US government covertly funded a UFO project which was eventually disclosed in 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... on_Program

What has changed is the images are now verified from reliable sources, both visually and on radar. The tic tac shaped objects also verify observed phenomena between 1945 - 1955 during Project Blue Book.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 1:12 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Most people would find any other explanation “too much” unless they were deep into pseudoscience.

Following something for years does not automatically make one an expert. I had erroneous beliefs for years. Sometimes people get attached to specific ideas which can keep them from recognizing what’s right before them.

Oh no, when I mean't "experts" I mean't photography experts.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 1:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

The US, UK and Australian governments also debunked the whole phenomenon in 1969 when they terminated Project Blue Book. They claimed the data did not support anything that was explainable.

The problem was the US government covertly funded a UFO project which was eventually disclosed in 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... on_Program

What has changed is the images are now verified from reliable sources, both visually and on radar. The tic tac shaped objects also verify observed phenomena between 1945 - 1955 during Project Blue Book.

I think that's as far as we're going to get though unless they, if there is a they, decide to make contact. From their perspective we might just be like ants they see crawling around as they're going about their business.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 1:47 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I think that's as far as we're going to get though unless they, if there is a they, decide to make contact. From their perspective we might just be like ants they see crawling around as they're going about their business.

I agree, I've played the scenario in my head, and the idea there are aliens waiting for an opportune time to reveal themselves to us does not make sense. The reason is we have not evolved that much so aliens speaking to humans in the year 1800, 1900 or 2000 would make little difference as I don't think we have evolved that much as a species.

I do, however, think that (assuming they are/have visited earth) there is some credence to the idea they may have bumped up surveillance after Hiroshima when we jumped in our capacity to make our entire species extinct in a matter of a few minutes.

So yes, if they exist they don't have much interest in engaging publicly.But that doesn't mean we aren't being monitored like petri dish of bacteria.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 2:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I agree, I've played the scenario in my head, and the idea there are aliens waiting for an opportune time to reveal themselves to us does not make sense. The reason is we have not evolved that much so aliens speaking to humans in the year 1800, 1900 or 2000 would make little difference as I don't think we have evolved that much as a species.

I do, however, think that (assuming they are/have visited earth) there is some credence to the idea they may have bumped up surveillance after Hiroshima when we jumped in our capacity to make our entire species extinct in a matter of a few minutes.

So yes, if they exist they don't have much interest in engaging publicly.But that doesn't mean we aren't being monitored like petri dish of bacteria.

They might not even be monitoring us. They might not care anything about us. If there is a they. The objects whizzing around might be some sort of natural phenomenon occurring that we don't understand. I'm expecting that to more likely to be the eventual discovery. Some quantum whatever thingy phenomenon.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 5:35 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The objects whizzing around might be some sort of natural phenomenon occurring that we don't understand. I'm expecting that to more likely to be the eventual discovery. Some quantum whatever thingy phenomenon.

Just to complicate things, physicists now lend credence to the multiverse and wormholes that connect dimensions. With that in mind the UFO type objects we see and other critters like the grey aliens, Loch Ness Monster or Bigfoot might be able to phase in and out of this dimension at will. There's also a theory that some of the more plasma like objects that seem to move like an organism might actually be some type of sky animal from another dimension.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 5:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
The objects whizzing around might be some sort of natural phenomenon occurring that we don't understand. I'm expecting that to more likely to be the eventual discovery. Some quantum whatever thingy phenomenon.

Just to complicate things, physicists now lend credence to the multiverse and wormholes that connect dimensions. With that in mind the UFO type objects we see and other critters like the grey aliens, Loch Ness Monster or Bigfoot might be able to phase in and out of this dimension at will. There's also a theory that some of the more plasma like objects that seem to move like an organism might actually be some type of sky animal from another dimension.

Wouldn't it be interesting if in some other dimension us humans were their version of Bigfoot?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 5:48 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Wouldn't it be interesting if in some other dimension us humans were their version of Bigfoot?

I imagine we would be called hobbits by bigfoot. except of course of hobbits have massive feet!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Aug 2022, 6:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
For all we know, it is what it appears to be: a hoax.

Again you are a teacher. Before coming to a conclusion you need to first check the data. That's what I am doing.
You and cornflake are automatically coming to a conclusion without checking the evidence. That's unscientific.
Well I'm not automatically coming to anything - I'm pointing out a fundamental difficulty with examination - there are several markedly different images all of which are claimed to be the Calvine photo. Unless and until that's resolved there is nothing to get all scientific about.
Then there's the minor detail of it already having a scientific explanation - where's yours? :chin:

Still no comment on the BBC article I posted?

There's "photographic evidence" of a ship hovering above the sea - yet even that, as sharp and clear as can be, is explained by science: "BBC meteorologist David Braine said the "superior mirage" occurred because of "special atmospheric conditions that bend light".

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=408020&start=0#p9109618

Googling "superior mirage" uncovered several explanations - and more proof of alien technology at work, demanding a scientific examination:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ior-mirage

The thing about the Calvine photo is that it can already be explained as a natural phenomenon, and there is insufficient data WRT the image (which one?) that could take an examination in any other direction than speculation.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Aug 2022, 6:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
The Calvine photo is heralded as one of the best ever because the lighting was good, the object stood still to pose for the hikers camera.
You're making an assumption that it's an actual physical object occupying a location in space. Saying something like "well look at it - it's obvious!" is also entirely unscientific.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 6:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I imagine we would be called hobbits by bigfoot. except of course of hobbits have massive feet!

Well what meant is some unexplained elusive creature. Because I figure with people having stories of unexplained time loss. Or from their perspective traveling a long distance in a short time, maybe they had phased into another dimension verse whatever. Then there's hundreds of people who suddenly disappear without a trace. But some are finally found miles from the area they disappeared from, in a location that would be next to impossible to get to on foot. And they have no idea what happened. I'm sure you'd find these stories very interesting: