Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2022, 8:46 am

Just wondering if someone could enlighten me...

A common theme I see on Autism/Aspergers forums is that people very much struggle to use the telephone, perhaps because you cannot see the person you are talking to, or you have to talk to people you don't know.

This makes a lot of sense, but I also notice that when people mention suicidal thoughts/actions, others are always very quick to direct people to suicide hotlines - telephone calls with strangers, which I thought were the very things we were supposed to struggle with.

Am I missing something?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 9:14 am

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 9:59 am

Probably because there's nothing better. It's the last resort. That shows the lack of support for suicidal autistic people, which in turn shows that ultimately people don't really care. All this "caring" is a formality. People need to pretend to care to make the world look like a better place than it actually is.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 10:10 am

Some suicide hotlines do have online chat versions, so it's worth checking that. The Samaritans in the UK do.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2022, 10:10 am

Many of them offer services by text or live chat now.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2022, 5:17 am

temp1234 wrote:
Probably because there's nothing better. It's the last resort. That shows the lack of support for suicidal autistic people, which in turn shows that ultimately people don't really care. All this "caring" is a formality. People need to pretend to care to make the world look like a better place than it actually is.

Not sure if its particularly prevalent on WrongPlanet, but I've noticed on other boards, when someone posts about suicide, the responses are along the lines of "Its really good that you are willing to talk about your feelings etc, now bugger off and ring the Samaritans."

On other forums, the subject of suicide seems to be pretty much banned, as if they'd rather just sweep the suicidal aspies under the rug and pretend they weren't here, despite suicide being a very common killer of Autistics/Aspergers people.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 5:53 am

There is a forum for suicide called sanctioned suicide. It is split into two parts one for those planning suicide and one for those seek to recover from suicidal inclinations. Here is the link for the recovery side;

https://sanctioned-suicide.org/forums/recovery.7/

One doesn't have to suffer the anxiety of posting. One can search the archives and find all sorts of questions and answers of others.