Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 4:30 am

Well, yes, in theory all of those could be possible.

That's why I thought it might be a good idea for you to get some kind of diagnosis first, so that you can establish what the issue is, and then find the best way of dealing with it.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 4:56 am

People use to say something about me at school especially the other people who have AS They use to say don't mess with Jamie (That's my first name) he will only play you at your own game. Like I said it was other aspies who use to say that about me when it came to hanging around NTs.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 6:19 am

wasted_space wrote:
What you're trying to say is that I could have social anxiety/sociophobia but not AS? And also I could have both of them at the same time?

Yes. It sounds to me like you most likely have social anxiety, which you can get help for. If you think you have AS as well then you need to think about other things as well - whether you have obsessions, sensory problems etc. and if your problems socially are only about social phobia, or whether it's also that you don't know how to act in these situations or don't understand what's going on.

wasted_space
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2007, 9:37 am

To Sopho

When I was younger, I didn't think about my social life, that I hadn't got any friends etc. I was particularly interested in books, I've read all the time after the school (apart from watching TV) and never went to play in the yard with other children. I wanted to communicate with someone, but I didn't know how. At school I was (and am) a loner. In the beginning it was OK, but from 6 to 8 classes a group of NT girls bullied me and laughed from me. Since then I am afraid of people, maybe because I think they will sneer from me. And sometimes I stand beside a group of NT's in school, I listen to their talks, I don't understand, how they know what to say, why are they talking such nonsense, telling stories from their life, playing with mobile phones, writting sms and so on.

Currently I have quite many obssesions - the mainly is Industrial music/subculture/lifestyle. Others : Gothic music/subculture, literature(but I read less than in my childhood), Absurd Minds/Project Pitchfork texts(they are EBM bands), Cat(I really want to have her, this month my Mum will get or buy for me one). I could talk and talk about them, but I know just one boy, who is interested in Industrial/Gothic/EBM - I've found him on Internet, he lives in my town. I want to have more acquaintances, friends, I want to go to concerts with them but because of my communicating problems/fear of NT people I'm like in a closed box. :(

Sorry if it will be boring to read but it's the only place where I can talk normally and feel free.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 10:13 am

That does sound like you could have AS, but other people on here are better at things like this so their opinions will probably be of more use to you than mine. :)

I think you should try and see your doctor about getting a diagnosis if you think you do have it. I only found out I had AS about a year ago, but it's helped me a lot to know I have it.

I like industrial music as well by the way. Mainly German bands. And I like cats.

Woman
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2007, 4:22 pm

wasted_space wrote:
sometimes I stand beside a group of NT's in school, I listen to their talks, I don't understand, how they know what to say, why are they talking such nonsense, telling stories from their life, playing with mobile phones, writting sms and so on.

Sorry if it will be boring to read but it's the only place where I can talk normally and feel free.

this sounds more & more like you do have AS. Perhaps if you get diagnosed, the school system will place you in a smaller class w/ more one on one help?

Don't worry - nothing you say is boring here! :)
Actually, being able to communicate via typing has helped my social skills improve. You get to express yourself and gain feedback, and that results in confidence.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 8:39 am

Stand straight... don't look down... this can be discomforting but it might make you seem more inviting for conversations... it shows less fear, although I'll admit it can be difficult.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 10:24 am

Sociophobia/Social isolation I think is common with people with AS, due to our social difficulties etc.

That my opinion though. :)