Page 2 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 11:38 am

Rossall wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Boris Johnson had his flaws but I think he was always being unfairly compared to Donald Trump. He did a few good things that I can't imagine Trump ever doing like when he opened the UK up to refugees fleeing from Hong Kong after the Chinese govermment took back the city.
Thought both Theresa May and Johnson were OK but Truss is a nasty right wing b***h. She will cut and privatise everything that moves. Just watch.

I agree with you, from what I've read about her I'm getting a pretty bad vibe for what this means for the UK's fiture... :|

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 12:08 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Rossall wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Boris Johnson had his flaws but I think he was always being unfairly compared to Donald Trump. He did a few good things that I can't imagine Trump ever doing like when he opened the UK up to refugees fleeing from Hong Kong after the Chinese govermment took back the city.
Thought both Theresa May and Johnson were OK but Truss is a nasty right wing b***h. She will cut and privatise everything that moves. Just watch.

I agree with you, from what I've read about her I'm getting a pretty bad vibe for what this means for the UK's fiture... :|
Labour back in next election (and I think there will be an early one). No doubt in my mind. These idiots will completely screw up the UK.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 12:37 pm

There are photos of Liz Truss where she actually looks like a vampire 8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 1:23 pm

Liz is like a dominatrix name. She might have been better served if she were an Elizabeth.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 4:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Liz is like a dominatrix name. She might have been better served if she were an Elizabeth.

She is actually a Mary, just to confuse things further!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 5:24 am

I can't stand her or any tory politician. No matter what disguise they come in they're all the same underneath.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 6:54 am

They are getting worse:

Cameron was bad, May was worse, Johnson even worse, Truss is even worse than that.

I remember non Brits saying 'why are they voting for May as PM?' I said 'she's the best we've got' and they were horrified. Now look at the state of the PM we've got!

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 7:52 am

KitLily wrote:
They are getting worse:

Cameron was bad, May was worse, Johnson even worse, Truss is even worse than that.

I remember non Brits saying 'why are they voting for May as PM?' I said 'she's the best we've got' and they were horrified. Now look at the state of the PM we've got!

Kinda like our politicians here in the US. We're always forced to vote between the lesser of two evils ourselves. :|

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 12:46 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
KitLily wrote:
They are getting worse:

Kinda like our politicians here in the US. We're always forced to vote between the lesser of two evils ourselves. :|

Yes...except our last 3 Prime Ministers have got into the job without being elected. The PM resigned, the Members of Parliment (about 300 people) and the members of the Conservative Party (about 180,000 people) voted for a new one.

So that is about 180 thousand people voting for the leader of Britain, out of a total population of 68 million. Even if only half of those are voting adults, that's still only 180 thousand people out of 34 million.

That's hardly a representative vote is it. :x Ridiculous and dangerous isn't it.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 12:50 pm

Can see an early election and Labour back in tbh. This lot are f*****g useless. Tax cuts for millionaires paid for by the poor.

Her choice of Chancellor and allowing him to announce a great giveaway to the rich but only crumbs to others was inevitably going to lead to trouble.

Surely Truss has been in politics long enough to work out how her cabinet choices and budgets were likely to go down.

Kwarteng’s damage has now been done and there is talk once more is of letters about Truss going to Graham Brady.

I think she will try to stick with Kwarteng and she herself might be the first cabinet exit.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index ... inet-exit/

Labour has a **17 point** lead over the Tories, Yougov poll for The Times finds

It's the biggest lead since Yougov started polling in 2001

Six in 10 voters think Kwarteng's budget was unfair - the worst rating of any fiscal event since 2010

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index ... he-tories/

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Last edited by Rossall on 27 Sep 2022, 1:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 12:52 pm

I like Keir Starmer's idea of the publicly owned Great British Energy Company using green energy.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 9:03 am

KitLily wrote:
I like Keir Starmer's idea of the publicly owned Great British Energy Company using green energy.
So do I. This lot plan to relax immigration rules so what exactly was the point of us coming out of the f*****g EU (as campaigned for by Boris Johnson)?

https://www.independent.co.uk/business/ ... 74659.html

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 9:42 am

Rossall wrote:
KitLily wrote:
So do I. This lot plan to relax immigration rules so what exactly was the point of us coming out of the f*****g EU (as campaigned for by Boris Johnson)?

https://www.independent.co.uk/business/ ... 74659.html

Exactly. If people voted Leave, it was mainly to stop immigration, so those people will be annoyed now too. It seems that only certain types of immigrants are not wanted here, but certain other types of immigrants are wanted here. The government can't have it both ways!

Could it be that government Brexiters had some other reason all along to take us out of the EU? Hmm...I wonder. :roll:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 3:10 am

45p cut abandoned on day 1 of the conference.

KK claiming 'we have listened to the public on this one' rather than admitting their own MP's were already working with the opposition to defeat them in the HoC

what an absolute shambles

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 3:41 am

Biscuitman wrote:
45p cut abandoned on day 1 of the conference.

KK claiming 'we have listened to the public on this one' rather than admitting their own MP's were already working with the opposition to defeat them in the HoC

what an absolute shambles

I agree, it had nothing to do with public opinion.

Interesting to see Michael Gove flexing his muscles though. I thought he was finished but it appears he still has significant clout within the party and isn't worried about using it.

I'm kind of disappointed though. I was hoping that Truss and Kwarteng really were true ideologues who would keep pushing this crap until their positions became untenable or their party fully imploded, leading to an early general election (can anyone really stand waiting 2 more years?). Turns out they're not. When it comes down to it they're pragmatists and do whatever it takes to keep them in power a while longer :(

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 6:36 am

I kind of hope it's hellish for the next 2 years to really hammer the point home and get everyone voting the Tories out. But of course we'll have to go through the hell along with the Tory voters... :?