Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Helen_L
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2022, 1:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm in my 50s and believe I am on the spectrum. I only realized this while researching autism because I believe my daughter is on the spectrum. Then after reading a lot of the symptoms I was like ohhhhhh, that's me!
I feel a bit taken aback by it all. I'm still trying to come to terms with it and looking for a supportive place to chat. I do have some questions to anyone diagnosed. Have you been in therapy like ABA or any kind of social training? What was your experience like? I'm mainly asking because I'm wondering how I should handle my daughter.
Thanks.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 1:09 pm

Hi and welcome~!

ABA is not too popular round these parts, but there are some posters here who work in the field, are aware of ABAs shortcomings, and are very helpful in giving info, and a few others who do not work in ABA but are way more savvy than me on it.

I cant remember exactly where these threads are at the moment, but if you stick arouond and dig chances are pretty good you will get very knowledgeable advice.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 2:06 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 3:25 pm

Welcome to WP, Helen_L!

I knew nothing about Autism until I was 64. By my 65th birthday I was formally diagnosed as: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild) with an extra note that I also satisfied the criteria formerly associated with Asperger's Syndrome. I was delighted by the diagnosis! It explained so much. And I was old enough that the diagnosis wasn't a warning of difficulties ahead but rather a better understanding of the difficulties I had already navigated through.

The diagnosis has had little practical benefit for me. I didn't need any special accommodations at school or work since I've been fully, comfortably retired since I was 56. My friends and family already thought I was "odd" (sometimes other adjectives might be used) so no change there. Even before I got the diagnosis I knew I wanted medical providers to give me stuff in writing...and they seldom did...now I think the diagnosis supports my request for getting stuff in writing...and I still seldom get it.

I admit, though, I got my diagnosis shortly before the COVID Pandemic started so me and my diagnosis haven't gotten out much. But, I've never been very social (now we know why!) and I'm an MBTI INTJ with a strong "I" preference so I rather like being holed up in my COVID bunker (i.e., "home"). Though I do miss fast food...

Two good things about the diagnosis:

<=>1. When my bride bumps up against one of my Aspie traits I can say:
<=>1. <=>"I have a doctor's note for that!" 
<=>1. -Though this doesn't amuse her as much as it amuses me. 

<=>2. Wrong Planet!

I hope you've found these two online quizzes:
<=>Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test 
<=>Aspie-quizRegistering is optional! 
They can't give you a formal diagnosis, of course, but they can help you better assess your suspicions. 

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 8:21 pm

Welcome to WP! :mrgreen:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 7:55 am

Helen_L wrote:
I'm in my 50s and believe I am on the spectrum. I only realized this while researching autism ... after reading a lot of the symptoms I was like ohhhhhh, that's me!

I only discovered that I had Asperger's Syndrome around the age of my late 60's. It can take a long time to come up on this discovery on your own.

Helen_L
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2022, 10:09 am

Thank you for the welcome