Should I say something to the landlords?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 10:08 am

Lol in that case I got nothing

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 10:23 am

I thought it was common sense to try to not make noise when you live in a flat. Whatever the reason, making excessive noise is very inconsiderate. Whether it's exercise, vacuuming or a party, you need to be considerate of your neighbors. I think you have the right to live without excessive noise affecting you. I believe the landlord has the responsibility to ensure their tenants are living comfortably. So, I think the landlord needs to do something about it. Or is common sense different in the UK?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 10:37 am

Some neighbours think they can make as much noise as they want but pass it off as "everyday noises".

If they are quiet at night then I be sure to be quiet; I close doors quietly and minimize the amount of activity if I can't sleep. I clean my pets cage out one evening a week because they (my pets) are more awake in the evenings, but it only takes me about 30 minutes. But I'm downstairs and so there's nobody below me. If I was upstairs then I'd probably ask them if they mind that I clean out my pets and if they can hear me. Being considerate like that can go a long way.

Me and my boyfriend are very quiet sort of people. We share the household chores and any chores we do doesn't take all day, and we only vacuum once or twice a week. Sometimes we have a cleaning day but that's usually in the kitchen and bathroom. Otherwise usually we spend a lot of time sitting, as he likes to watch TV and I like to draw, write or nap.
So if we lived upstairs they probably wouldn't hear us much.

I wish we could live in an upstairs apartment but my boyfriend has trouble with his knees so finds climbing stairs difficult, and most apartment buildings here don't have elevators.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 11:43 am

I think your boyfriend should apologize to them for his earlier rudeness, and then either you or he should politely let them know that their noise is bothering you. To the latter end, I think you should give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they just don't realize how much noise they are making or how bothersome it could be to a downstairs neighbor.

In any case, I think you should try to work it out with them directly and give them a chance to improve before you try to get them in trouble with the landlord.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 12:01 pm

It happened too long ago, about 9 months ago when they first moved there, so it seems a little too late now (the later it is the awkwarder it gets).

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that moving furniture across the room and sweeping hardwood floors with a stiff broom banging into every piece of furniture as they do so is going to be heard by the people below. Yes, they do these stupid activities several times a day.

It sounds like there's about 10 people living up there, all pacing about in every room at once and doing noisy activities like I already said. But obviously there are only the couple that moved in there 9 months ago (which was the first and only time we set eyes on them).

I just get very worked up that whenever I go into a room all I hear constantly is bang! Bomp! Creak! Thump! Crash! Bump! Boom! Thud! Clang! No let up. Just what on earth are they doing? :scratch:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 12:08 pm

These are your upstairs neighbors.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 2:07 pm

No, this is my upstairs neighbours.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 2:20 pm

Ugh.Sheer hell.
Maybe they are doing unauthorized remodeling?That would explain weird loud sounds.
That’s strange they never come out, are they getting food delivery?
Maybe they are illegally subletting a room and there are more people up there than you think.Dozens of them.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 2:22 pm

Maybe you should go out more often ? Sounds like your home to hear your neighbours day and night and you could avoid hearing them for hours at a time by going out now and then. Work, volunteer, go to a coffee shop, go for a walk/run, hit the gym, go to a park, go to the library, do your shopping etc. I know if I dreaded being at home because of the noise of upstairs neighbours I'd minimize my time at home so I didn't have to listen to them so much.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 3:57 pm

Maybe ask your neighbours if they're going to keep you up at night if you two can join their workout sessions and at least get something out of it. Maybe then it'll dawn on them that they're being very inconsiderate with their noise and keeping you awake at night and then make an effort not to be so loud. And if instead they get worse, complain to the landlords. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 4:06 pm

Have you tried talking to them? Maybe have them set up a time for their work out and how long they fo it for. Do not go to the landlord without talking to them first. If they refuse to answer their door or refuse to cooperate, then go tell the landlord.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 12:01 pm

We are considering looking for a new place, either in an upstairs apartment or one with better floor insulation. It's causing me great stress to live with such constant noise above our heads like 20 hours a day. Sporadic everyday noises is fine and bearable, but this is beyond unbearable and nobody should be expected to live like this.

Their brat has been screaming constantly all weekend and today, and it's now at an age where it's moving around so it's probably pushing things around and dropping toys on the hardwood floors they have (although I think it spends more time screaming than doing anything else). This morning it screamed nonstop in the room above our bedroom, from about 5am to about 9.30am. I could even hear it with earplugs in AND with an audiobook. White noise doesn't drown it out. Nothing does. My boyfriend had 3 children and he said none of them screamed like that even when they were teething. So there's either something wrong with it or the parents are abusing it. But I can't go around poking my nose in and accusing them, as it's most likely just my luck to live below a couple with a miserable baby.

My boyfriend won't let me go up there and have a quiet word or put a note through the door because he fears it might start trouble. He's lived with neighbours from hell before so he's learnt not to get involved. But I can't live like this. I'm going to have a nervous breakdown soon. I need some peace in my own home. I shouldn't have to live with earplugs in all the time. I shouldn't have to be woken up every morning by thumping and banging and uncontrollably screaming babies. I haven't felt well these last few days, but whenever I've tried to take a nap in the afternoon to rest - with earplugs and white noise - all I can hear is loud banging constantly above my head. I know people have got to live but nobody moves around that much, surely. Especially not in their bedroom unless they're a kid playing (the baby is too young to leap about and play like a child, and usually parents put their babies in the living-room during the day).

It would be such a relief to live somewhere else. So we're going to get hunting. Otherwise I will be descended into madness.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 2:43 pm

I would just send the boyfriend to apologise and say he's sorry for if he was rude to them
and leave it at that, it might help.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 3:06 pm

If you're willing to move anyways, what harm could there be in talking to the upstairs neighbours and/or landlord?

What if having an adult conversation results in an improved living situation and you don't have to move?

Worst case, you're willing to move anyways..

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 3:45 pm

I'm scared to go up there though. Also you don't always get guaranteed a new place when you go looking, especially here in the UK. Yes it is cheap living in the apartment we're in now but I think I'd rather pay a bit more to have a quieter life, especially with my nerves. It's OK for people who have a built-in ability to ignore such noises but no matter how hard I try I just can't ignore most the noises they make. The baby constantly screaming is doing my head in too, although I could put up with it better if I didn't hear so many banging and thumping noises all day long. The baby's scream is just irritating because it has a loud gasp between cries and it seems to just get on my nerves. I'd rather hear a dog barking than a baby crying.

When I lived at home the people next door had a baby and we heard him crying sometimes but it wasn't as distracting as it is with this one. The sound was next door to us, not above us, so it seemed easier to drown out. Here, with all the noise directly above us, it seems to travel downwards and bounce off the walls and carry all around the apartment.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 4:00 pm

Yeah paying a little more is definetly better than living with that