Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2022, 1:04 am

Well basically, this time what I'd like to talk to you about is Gun Control.

Its not easy to perform gun control and make sure its happening all the time, as people are people and mood changes / swings can cause a disaster sometimes. I think the chances of someone who has a gun who wakes up in the morning with a bad mood and decides to shoot other people as a result is a pretty rare situation, but I guess that happened too. The whole point of gun control I think, is to make sure guns arent falling in the hands of the wrong people. Psychiatrists need to check people very carefully before giving them permission they are mentally healthy enough to receive a gun. Sure psychiatrists cant read other people's minds, but still, they are supposed to be able to find out some things, some which may be hidden deep inside a person's brain. The whole gun control situation in the United States looks terrible to me, despite the fact I live in Israel, not the United States. Can you guys please explain what you think about all this?

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 10:14 am

I’m getting the popcorn ready now. :P

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 10:16 am

USA needs background checks, maybe psych evaluations, too. We have background checks in Canada. Not sure if they include any sort of psych evaluation or just a criminal background check and a couple calls to references - I dunno; I've never owned a gun or fired a real gun, only paint/pellet/nail guns etc.

USA needed these things a few decades ago. It's going to be extremely difficult to get things under control now.. as there are more guns than people in the USA. Wtf is anyone going to be able to do about the problem now besides dress their kids in bulletproof vests when they send them off to school?

The only way this problem gets resolved is if the vast majority of the population Wants to solve it and Agrees to solve it and then Takes Action to solve it. Think Americans are going to all come to a unanimous agreement over gun control and then retroactively abide by new rules by getting background checks or turning in certain weapons? Extremely doubtful. They've bred a culture of shooting anyone who dares suggest they not have guns.

It's a problem for us here next door in Canada, too. The vast majority of guns in the hands of gangs and organized crime in Canada are illegal guns smuggled across the border from the USA. It's not the end of the world when they're used in targeted shootings and only people in the gang game die, but that's not always the case and innocent bystanders and people mistaken for targets get killed, too. Very difficult to completely stop the flow of guns from the USA when we have the world's longest unprotected border and our neighbours to the South are completely gun crazy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 10:18 am

Misslizard wrote:
I’m getting the popcorn ready now.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 12:05 pm

Noamx wrote:
Well basically, this time what I'd like to talk to you about is Gun Control.

Its not easy to perform gun control and make sure its happening all the time, as people are people and mood changes / swings can cause a disaster sometimes. I think the chances of someone who has a gun who wakes up in the morning with a bad mood and decides to shoot other people as a result is a pretty rare situation, but I guess that happened too. The whole point of gun control I think, is to make sure guns arent falling in the hands of the wrong people. Psychiatrists need to check people very carefully before giving them permission they are mentally healthy enough to receive a gun. Sure psychiatrists cant read other people's minds, but still, they are supposed to be able to find out some things, some which may be hidden deep inside a person's brain. The whole gun control situation in the United States looks terrible to me, despite the fact I live in Israel, not the United States. Can you guys please explain what you think about all this?

If you do some searching here you’ll find tens of gun control “debates”. I’d start with those since things never change with the content of them.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Aug 2022, 3:18 pm

! Cornflake wrote:
Raptor wrote:
If you do some searching here you’ll find tens of gun control “debates”. I’d start with those since things never change with the content of them.
This ^

It seems pointless starting yet another gun control discussion when none of the other threads on the topic were ever resolved - "for" or "against".
As suggested, it would be useful for you to review those - where you may even find some answers.

Locked.