Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 7:47 pm

To best answer this question, I enjoy quite a few of those awesome rock songs from the legacy of 'The British Invasion.'

I also note how savvy automatic song recommendations have become in response to my preferences. YouTube's recommendation algorithm yields mainly songs from 1960s through the 1980s, not just from the UK, but the US, Canada, Australia, and EuroPop are frequent recommendations listed.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 12:55 am

Doo-Wop
Singer-songwriter,
60s and 70s Motown
60s and 70s Soul
Folk rock
60's girl groups
Classic rock (melodic, not harsh and heavy)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 9:03 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I hate music. Spend most of my time protesting it.

Unless it's "deep soulful drum and bass"? :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Nov 2022, 10:29 am

nick007 wrote:
The main music genres I've been listening to lately are old-skewl Punk, EMO, Ska, & Glam Rock thou I like lots of other types of music
Other tyes of music I like are :arrow:
Bubblegum Pop
Boy Bands/Girl Groups
Pop Rock
Alternative Rock
Grunge
Classic Rock
Soft Rock
90s
80s
70s
Disco
Showtunes
Comedy
Celtic

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 4:38 pm

Personally, YouTube's recommendation algorithm (based on the videos (in this case music videos) I select) often recommends the British 1960s group 'The Animals' songs, 'House of the Rising Sun' and 'Misunderstood.'

Before recomemdnation algorithms came into use, I always felt that the British group 'The Animals' above mentioned songs resonated very deeply.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 1:54 am

some of everything - silly songs :jester:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
• British "Mersey"

I knew there was something I liked about you. 8) I also relate to Irish folk and, to a degree, Motown. I will not have you executed when I'm President.

I also like:

Roots reggae

New Wave like The Vapors and The Jam

Old school heavy rock like Cream

Psychedelic, including Trip-Hop which is the only newfangled boomph-clack music I particularly like

Rock And Roll

Blues

But there's no genre that doesn't contain a lot of stuff that bores me. Even individual artists don't often have more than a couple of tracks per album that float my boat. I won't list the exceptions or I'll be here all day.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 12:15 pm

hip hop!

about an alien corpse
im the one who brought
the truth to the light

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 3:57 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Personally, YouTube's recommendation algorithm (based on the videos (in this case music videos) I select) often recommends the British 1960s group 'The Animals' songs, 'House of the Rising Sun' and 'Misunderstood.'

Before recomemdnation algorithms came into use, I always felt that the British group 'The Animals' above mentioned songs resonated very deeply.

ADDENDUM: Speaking of YouTube's recommendation algorithm (based on music videos I select), the late 1960s and early 1970s genres encompassing Don Mclean's 'American Pie' and The Mamas and Pappas 'California Dreamin' are frequent recommendations - personal favorites long before recommedation algorithms came into use.

See what is meant when TECH. discussions on recommedation algorithms know what users want even before......users (humans) know what they want?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 7:36 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

ADDENDUM: Speaking of YouTube's recommendation algorithm (based on music videos I select), the late 1960s and early 1970s genres encompassing Don Mclean's 'American Pie' and The Mamas and Pappas 'California Dreamin' are frequent recommendations - personal favorites long before recommedation algorithms came into use.

See what is meant when TECH. discussions on recommedation algorithms know what users want even before......users (humans) know what they want?

That sounds interesting. I'd give it a try if only I trusted Google with such a powerful tool that could be used for evil as well as good. I wonder if there's such a thing elsewhere? It'd be nice to train such a program about my musical tastes and use it to play what it thought I'd like. But isn't it rather dependent on the listener's mood at the moment, their surroundings, the number of times they've heard the record before, and on the gradual changes in preferences over time? Nonetheless, it might be better than my own decisions on what to play.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Nov 2022, 12:58 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

That sounds interesting. I'd give it a try if only I trusted Google with such a powerful tool that could be used for evil as well as good. I wonder if there's such a thing elsewhere? It'd be nice to train such a program about my musical tastes and use it to play what it thought I'd like. But isn't it rather dependent on the listener's mood at the moment, their surroundings, the number of times they've heard the record before, and on the gradual changes in preferences over time? Nonetheless, it might be better than my own decisions on what to play.
I'm not sure if others are like YouTube exactly but I know various music apps & programs let you start with an artist or song & they generate a playlist based on that. The playlist changes as it goes on & the listener customizes things like skips certain songs/artists or votes Dislike or Love or whatever. You can also have different stations/playlists for different moods. That as well as YouTube can be quite helpful for discovering new music or artists I may not already be familiar with.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 7:29 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I hate music. Spend most of my time protesting it.

You're not the only one. IMO (that I share with many), most music today sucks.