Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 12:56 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
She was taking a stand for the constitution and Democracy, versus autocracy. I don't think she felt she had a choice; someone had to play the part. But, yes, while she (and many of us watching) may have hoped for a different outcome, it was always unlikely. If history records all this the way I think it will, she will fare better with 20.20 hindsight than the rest of her party.

I'd like to think I'd stick to what I thought I knew to be right until the biter end, but who ever really knows.

She also failed to represent the will of her constituents, which as a member of the House of Representatives, is not a minor failing regardless of what one thinks of the underlying cause. She also didn't have to gleefully participate in the one sided sham trial that was the J6 hearings, and generally act more like a Democratic booster than a conservative Republican. Why shouldn't her voters kick her to the curb for failing to represent their interests and providing aide and succor to their ideological foes in a way that clearly felt like a betrayal to them?

On a side note, that's three political dynasties Trump has ended; Clinton, Bush, and now Cheney, which is kind of impressive for a schmuck with no political experience and so many obvious failings.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 1:11 am

Dox47 wrote:
She also failed to represent the will of her constituents, which as a member of the House of Representatives, is not a minor failing regardless of what one thinks of the underlying cause.

True, I often use the "represent constituents" point in defense of Manchin.

Again, I think she didn't see a choice, she only saw one direction that upheld her oath to the constitution.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 1:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
What will the unraveling of American democracy look like? What will change?

The MAGA leadership will start wearing clown suits and chanting slogans instead of policies. It will be as if Halloween will be 365 days of the year if the GOP take over in 2024.

Awesome.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 1:12 am

Dox47 wrote:
On a side note, that's three political dynasties Trump has ended; Clinton, Bush, and now Cheney, which is kind of impressive for a schmuck with no political experience and so many obvious failings.

Bull in a china shop. It's the collateral damage I don't we've adequately assessed yet as a nation.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 1:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Cute. Pretending not to notice what is already happening. you're funny.

A defeated POTUS already ordered the lynching of his veep to steal an election so he could be el presidente for life.

Old style conservative lawmakers (both local and Congressional) will be replaced by election denying Trump worshipers who will abolish the rule of law, and actually enable elections to be stolen.

I was asking what it will look like through your eyes. Don't expect others to see things the way you do.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 1:20 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

One word: Hungary.

A fall to autocracy.

The autocrats of the world believe that life has gotten too fast paced, and systems like ours too slow. They claim Democracy is doomed to failure. Leaders like Trump want all the marbles, the ability to make decisions quickly. More and more voters and people in power seem to be willing to give a leader that in exchange for outcomes they currently favor.

I think its foolish and scary as sh^t.

I want to be wrong.

I'm not sure I get virtually everyone calling the POTUS the most powerful man in the world, yet blanching at the idea of him actually resembling that description.

I have never heard of a POTUS not being called a dictator. Google the name of any president since at least Reagan + dictator and behold all the media articles that pop up calling that POTUS a dictator.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 1:40 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
She was taking a stand for the constitution and Democracy, versus autocracy. I don't think she felt she had a choice; someone had to play the part. But, yes, while she (and many of us watching) may have hoped for a different outcome, it was always unlikely. If history records all this the way I think it will, she will fare better with 20.20 hindsight than the rest of her party.

I'd like to think I'd stick to what I thought I knew to be right until the biter end, but who ever really knows.

She also failed to represent the will of her constituents, which as a member of the House of Representatives, is not a minor failing regardless of what one thinks of the underlying cause. She also didn't have to gleefully participate in the one sided sham trial that was the J6 hearings, and generally act more like a Democratic booster than a conservative Republican. Why shouldn't her voters kick her to the curb for failing to represent their interests and providing aide and succor to their ideological foes in a way that clearly felt like a betrayal to them?

The "one sided sham trial?" How was the investigation a sham at all?