Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2022, 4:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
Im my experience such team building exercises precede some type of organisational restructure. They provide management with an idea who isn't a team player.

I'm afraid we NTs always have an ulterior motive

Aha! Bullying?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 4:32 am

Gammeldans wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Im my experience such team building exercises precede some type of organisational restructure. They provide management with an idea who isn't a team player.

I'm afraid we NTs always have an ulterior motive

Aha! Bullying?

Amongst other things...

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 5:27 am

Gammeldans wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Ah, sure. I like play pretend as a play and as a pretend or an exercise.

I don't think I'd apply it in real life outside any controlled environment. :|
... Unless I'm outright high and drunk on sugar, or in an utterly shameless and mischievous mood where consequences are all on me and no one else will be affected.

Nor it does translate or transfer well in real life scenarios with real consequences and outcomes...
Unless my ego dies or some drastic change with the way of how I perceive reality.
Or no longer care how it'll affect the people in my life because of my actions. :roll: Kinda why I'd rather run away from my family or wish I actually hate them instead. Caring holds me back.

What are you talking about?

As much as I enjoy said exercises to a point of excelling it, it doesn't translate to my real life performance and doesn't change my preferences.

To me, those exercises and my performance is exclusively enabled in a control environment, with prompts that it's just an exercise.
Never the real life counterparts without structures and prompts or the limited scope of time and space of "performing" said exercises.

So yeah...
In my case it's fun and I'd get along with that kind of exercise.
But outside that? It's a waste of time. It doesn't help me in any way except as another time killer.

Now, if I start treating life itself as if it's a play and not a stress fest... Maybe those exercises could do help me.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 7:32 am

Gammeldans wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Ah, sure. I like play pretend as a play and as a pretend or an exercise.

I don't think I'd apply it in real life outside any controlled environment. :|
... Unless I'm outright high and drunk on sugar, or in an utterly shameless and mischievous mood where consequences are all on me and no one else will be affected.

Nor it does translate or transfer well in real life scenarios with real consequences and outcomes...
Unless my ego dies or some drastic change with the way of how I perceive reality.
Or no longer care how it'll affect the people in my life because of my actions. :roll: Kinda why I'd rather run away from my family or wish I actually hate them instead. Caring holds me back.

What are you talking about?

CockneyRebel wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
rse92 wrote:
Someday I'm going to start a thread here entitled "I ate a yellow delicious apple and I did not like it. Do NTs like yellow delicious apples more than autistic people do?"

Someone will respond sincerely.

Is this a bad joke???

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:
This exercise did nothing for me except giving me an aversion for such games.

I've done exercises like this in high school drama and I hated them. I found them to be very pointless.

Pointless? Why?

They took up time that could be used learning to do actual acting.

And how do you learn to do real acting then?

Acting out different made out roles. Making up little skits.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 11:11 am

Hmmm, I am a thespian and would enjoy those exercises. Initially I would want specific directions and grace for my poor improvisation skills. That said, if the social cost isn't prohibitive, I'll try anything with or w/o good instruction. I'm the Aspie who mostly hits the gas (charges forward) when confronted with a stressful situation. My BFF is the Aspie who mostly leaves and hides when confronted with a stressful situation. I find commonality that both types of Aspie face difficulties and a differential in how they handle them.

Wishing you find a better instructor for you, or another interesting pursuit!

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 11:25 am

I know nothing of acting, except I used to hear news stories about method acting. Instead of acting drunk,get drunk. Instead of acting out of breath, go for a run. You can only take that so far :)

Another thing I heard of in the news is that actors think about their role and prepare, and think about motivations.
Harrison ford sat in the millennium falcon cockpit for hours before filming anything, pushing buttons etc. This allowed him to show familiarity with the controls.

I would say this type of stuff is similar to what the OP is talking about. I thought all actors relied on preparation.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2022, 2:54 am

SharonB wrote:
Hmmm, I am a thespian and would enjoy those exercises. Initially I would want specific directions and grace for my poor improvisation skills. That said, if the social cost isn't prohibitive, I'll try anything with or w/o good instruction. I'm the Aspie who mostly hits the gas (charges forward) when confronted with a stressful situation. My BFF is the Aspie who mostly leaves and hides when confronted with a stressful situation. I find commonality that both types of Aspie face difficulties and a differential in how they handle them.

Wishing you find a better instructor for you, or another interesting pursuit!

I was once told that aspies often need more specific instructions in the beginning whereas NTs often need very little of that.
But why? I guess NTs are more into seeing the whole picture and go from there. I don't know but they have some kind of disorder.

Are you fammiliar with Meisner? I have heard for the Mesiner method you already need a lot of skills and should just need to follow your impulses. Meisner sounds a bit stupid to me but then again I am no expert.

klanka wrote:
I know nothing of acting, except I used to hear news stories about method acting. Instead of acting drunk,get drunk. Instead of acting out of breath, go for a run. You can only take that so far :)

Another thing I heard of in the news is that actors think about their role and prepare, and think about motivations.
Harrison ford sat in the millennium falcon cockpit for hours before filming anything, pushing buttons etc. This allowed him to show familiarity with the controls.

I would say this type of stuff is similar to what the OP is talking about. I thought all actors relied on preparation.

We are not talking about playing a role in a film or theatre. What we are discussing is drama games in which you ate supposed to improvise.
Neither is this a discussion on method acting.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 6:59 am

OK, so there's not enough time for analysis in those situations.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 7:45 am

I guess actors need to start somewhere.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2022, 11:32 pm

Gee .... I thought the title of this thread referred to workouts for fitness that NTs do. I didn't get the real meaning till I began reading the OP's message. Was my miss an example of literal thinking?

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2022, 2:20 am

Elgee wrote:
Gee .... I thought the title of this thread referred to workouts for fitness that NTs do. I didn't get the real meaning till I began reading the OP's message. Was my miss an example of literal thinking?

You just interpreted it as physical exercises.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 6:50 am

Yeha I keep interpreting it as that, but then i remember its about acting

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 6:39 pm

Gammeldans wrote:
Are you fammiliar with Meisner? I have heard for the Mesiner method you already need a lot of skills and should just need to follow your impulses. Meisner sounds a bit stupid to me but then again I am no expert.

I have not. I took drama classes. I learned to make appropriate expressions and raise my voice. If I only followed my impulses, I would have done a very good impersonation of someone with ASD. :wink:

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2022, 4:51 am

klanka wrote:
Yeha I keep interpreting it as that, but then i remember its about acting

But it is not jut about acting. It is about exercises that can be used for other purposes than just helping people becoming betyer actors.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2022, 4:52 am

SharonB wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:

I have not. I took drama classes. I learned to make appropriate expressions and raise my voice. If I only followed my impulses, I would have done a very good impersonation of someone with ASD. :wink:

I am not sure we use the term the same way.
What do you mean by "following your impulses"?

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 10:49 am

Wordplay. You wrote that the Mesiner method says to "follow your impulses" --- I have ASD - so if one were to be literal :D : to follow my impulses would most often produce an Autistic character. :D (Yes, I am aware that one can follow impulses to reach a goal that might be to behave differently, but there's no fun in that for me.)