Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2022, 4:33 am

I would like to hear your wise thoughts on this.

There is something called theatre or drama games.
This year I tried some at a course.
Let me explain one of the games.
We, a group of about 12 people, were asked by a teacher to walk inside of a room saying hello and shaking hands with eachother.
This exercise did nothing for me except giving me an aversion for such games.
We also did an exercise similar to this one:
It gave me very little at all.

I'm thinking about two things here:
1. Perhaps the teacher did not do the exercises the correct way? Or...
2. Perhaps people with ASD are seldom helped by these NT exercises?

To me drama or theatre games is not about getting to know eachother that much as you do not speak to eachother when doing them. Well, at least my group did not. I was never told why we were told to to these exercises. We had a teacher who refrained from explaining anything.

Are such exercise mostly good for people with NT? Should people with ASD avoid such exercises?

But why did I take the course then? I wanted to learn theatre and its techniques. Also, I quit after the second lesson.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 5:52 am

"This exercise did nothing for me except giving me an aversion for such games."

lol I think the same would happen for me.

I think the group walk is useful for those musical drama numbers where the group does a coordinated dance on stage.

I did five years of drama classes in high school. It seemed suited to about one person in the whole class,who was very outgoing, but was not for me at all.

At the beginning of that video the teacher is like shouting 'OK CLASS NOW WERE GOING TO DO SOMETHING ...' that would do my head in alone.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 8:13 am

I think the same could be said about "team building" exercises.

Management sometimes likes them.

Personally, if they were any fun at all I thought of them as a waste of time when we could be more productive if we were working.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2022, 11:42 am

klanka wrote:
"This exercise did nothing for me except giving me an aversion for such games."

lol I think the same would happen for me.

I think the group walk is useful for those musical drama numbers where the group does a coordinated dance on stage.

I did five years of drama classes in high school. It seemed suited to about one person in the whole class,who was very outgoing, but was not for me at all.

At the beginning of that video the teacher is like shouting 'OK CLASS NOW WERE GOING TO DO SOMETHING ...' that would do my head in alone.

Are theatre games only for the extroverted people?

I say that some people want to do everything in their power in order to make you do no analysis whatsoever.
I can't stand teachers who force people to refrain from doing some kind of analysis. I think this could be the issue.
I guess they think you should just improvise and trust your impulses. It's like they think you have everything inside of you and just need to show that you have it.
Well, I didn't already have the skills. I needed and still need technichal and other kinds of exercises.
What kind of analysis do I like? I like to analyse how to move and speak when doing a character or when dealing with non-theatre social situations. But overanalysis is bad.

One of the exercises we did was walking inside the room and greeting eachother like we had high status. Well, ok I didn't do the exercises as I did not even understand it.
All I could think of was: how to play a rich aristocrat. Probably one who would wear a monocle.
It turned out that was not what I should have been thinking of. I was thinking of a stereotypocical character found in film and theatre.
But the other people seem more able to understand the exercise.
I guess the exercises were made for NT people.

What do you think?

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 12:20 pm

Someday I'm going to start a thread here entitled "I ate a yellow delicious apple and I did not like it. Do NTs like yellow delicious apples more than autistic people do?"

Someone will respond sincerely.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 1:05 pm

Improvisation is very difficult, I was pretending to be a doctor on the phone one time and lapsed into a stereotypical thing from old movies as well.
If you didn't enjoy the games they are not for you. Your misunderstanding of the high status game could be lack of life experience, its difficult to say.
Have you tried other types of acting classes? (If other types exist?)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 10:43 pm

Quote:

I've done exercises like this in high school drama and I hated them. I found them to be very pointless.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2022, 3:05 am

klanka wrote:
Improvisation is very difficult, I was pretending to be a doctor on the phone one time and lapsed into a stereotypical thing from old movies as well.
If you didn't enjoy the games they are not for you. Your misunderstanding of the high status game could be lack of life experience, its difficult to say.
Have you tried other types of acting classes? (If other types exist?)

Lack of life experience? What are you talking about? Shouldn't teachers need to explain anything? We are just suppossed to understand anyway?

When you did the medical doctor character were just told to just do it without any preparation?
This is what Iwas thinking of when I talked about how you're suppossed to already have all your skills inside of you.
I guess theatre courses can be bad as teachers can hate analysis. Just act, don't analyse!

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2022, 3:18 am

rse92 wrote:
Someday I'm going to start a thread here entitled "I ate a yellow delicious apple and I did not like it. Do NTs like yellow delicious apples more than autistic people do?"

Is this a bad joke???

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:

I've done exercises like this in high school drama and I hated them. I found them to be very pointless.

Pointless? Why?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 5:12 am

I thought I would be able to imitate the time that a doctor called me, so i didnt prepare :)
My first sentece was similar to how they talk but then i had nothing else.

I'm guessing the instructor meant high social status as in innate confidence, instead of being an upper class toff? im not sure myself actually. I wouldnt have a clue how to do the game either. What did the students who guessed correctly do?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 8:48 am

Yes, this looked rather strange to me also.

I have Asperger's Syndrome and my brain works very differently that others. It is like I came from a wrong planet.

So first things first. Many Aspies suffer from much higher stress levels than many NTs (Neurotypicals). Stress levels build up in time until they diminish. This can be done in two ways.

First, some types of exercise can remove stress. It takes a very high level of physical exertion to cause this to happen. Think of a 50 yard dash at full speed. But it works. The problem is that most Aspies are not that athletic.

The second way the body removes this stress build up is by having a MELT DOWN. You reach a point and then almost any little thing is enough to put you over the edge and produce a melt down.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 10:57 am

Ah, sure. I like play pretend as a play and as a pretend or an exercise.

I don't think I'd apply it in real life outside any controlled environment. :|
... Unless I'm outright high and drunk on sugar, or in an utterly shameless and mischievous mood where consequences are all on me and no one else will be affected.

Nor it does translate or transfer well in real life scenarios with real consequences and outcomes...
Unless my ego dies or some drastic change with the way of how I perceive reality.
Or no longer care how it'll affect the people in my life because of my actions. :roll: Kinda why I'd rather run away from my family or wish I actually hate them instead. Caring holds me back.

Anyways.
As for physical exercise -- I'd need to lift or exert something 10-15 kilos in bursts. Or punch something to be better.
Running won't do me well unless I do so in reckless abandon with no sense of self preservation like it does during meltdowns.

Because I'm the type who watches their steps and where to put it, hang on tight to what objects I hold and the bags that clings on me, strain my ears for incoming vehicles and presences, then the fact I have to look left and right before crossing the road. :|

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 11:50 pm

Gammeldans wrote:
rse92 wrote:

Is this a bad joke???

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:

Pointless? Why?

They took up time that could be used learning to do actual acting.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2022, 4:12 am

klanka wrote:
I thought I would be able to imitate the time that a doctor called me, so i didnt prepare :)
My first sentece was similar to how they talk but then i had nothing else.

I'm guessing the instructor meant high social status as in innate confidence, instead of being an upper class toff? im not sure myself actually. I wouldnt have a clue how to do the game either. What did the students who guessed correctly do?

I don't really know what they did except for maybe two people. I heard them speak with eachother after the exercise. I think they spoke about politicians and how they would deal with handshakes. Isn't that more about power than high status?
I don't think that high status in itself? It is more about power.

But we could say that upper class have low status in lower class (even if there are exceptions).
In movies they often make fun of the upper class.
I guess the question on who's having high status depends on from what perspective you're looking.

What did I just do? I started to analyze! I want to try things but never just act without analyzing.
I have heard that many of us are analytical people and learn by doing analysis. NTs are often more about just doing stuff without the analysis.
What do you think?

Last edited by Gammeldans on 20 Aug 2022, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2022, 4:14 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Ah, sure. I like play pretend as a play and as a pretend or an exercise.

I don't think I'd apply it in real life outside any controlled environment. :|
... Unless I'm outright high and drunk on sugar, or in an utterly shameless and mischievous mood where consequences are all on me and no one else will be affected.

Nor it does translate or transfer well in real life scenarios with real consequences and outcomes...
Unless my ego dies or some drastic change with the way of how I perceive reality.
Or no longer care how it'll affect the people in my life because of my actions. :roll: Kinda why I'd rather run away from my family or wish I actually hate them instead. Caring holds me back.

What are you talking about?

CockneyRebel wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
rse92 wrote:

Is this a bad joke???

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:

Pointless? Why?

They took up time that could be used learning to do actual acting.

And how do you learn to do real acting then?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 4:22 am

Im my experience such team building exercises precede some type of organisational restructure. They provide management with an idea who isn't a team player.

I'm afraid we NTs always have an ulterior motive