How have your political views changed over time?

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How have your political views changed over the years?
They are the same 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
They changed with the times 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
They are more to the left 52%  52%  [ 14 ]
They are more to the right 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 27

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 5:24 pm

I was raised in a very conservative household but was never conservative myself. I’ve always been left-leaning (even when I was 5 although maybe it was due, in part, to rebelliousness). I have become more liberal over the years, especially regarding specific topics.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 6:52 pm

They're pretty much the same----except I've gotten more pragmatic over the years.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 8:22 pm

I used to think politics was at least trying to be serious, now I think it is more like pro wrestling.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 9:50 pm

I've always been to the right due to the fact that I'm Pro-life.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 2:14 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I was raised in a very conservative household but was never conservative myself. I’ve always been left-leaning (even when I was 5 although maybe it was due, in part, to rebelliousness). I have become more liberal over the years, especially regarding specific topics.

I have always been far-right.But now I am a libertarian but I have become way more liberal on some social issues and I am even more fiscally conservative than I used to be.I think every vice like all drugs,prostitution,booze,tobacco, gambling,booze,energy drinks should be legal for everyone in all parts of the country. I now believe that biblical Christians should take care of their own and not take part in welfare and the social safety net..I used to be a globalist but now I am a nationalist.I used to be a Trump Supporter but now I am not.I am more of a Ron/Rand Paul guy now.I now believe we should invest all of social security and medicare in Wall Street.I am now against all social programs and welfare.I am now against tax-payer funded schools and universities and highways .I am now in favor of Texas being its own country again with its original land claims intact and honored.I believe that every normal American can become a millionaire.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 19 Aug 2022, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 4:27 am

It may shock many here but more to the left.

In the late 60s and 70s and into the 80s I was a fairly typical conservative as conservative was defined then. Registered independent, but voted mostly Republican, The problem with Vietnam was that we were fighting with our hands tied behind our back, "welfare" was way overdone, and crime was mainly the fault of permissive judges, while I hated to see homosexuals beat up and let them do their thing in their bedroom, I did not think it was good.

For me, it was the Clinton impeachment that was the turning point. As much as I disliked Clinton for his "draft dodging" activities during the Vietnam era impeaching him over a blow job was treasonous(if I thought that was treasonous :cry: ). He had a job to do and the Republicans were distracting him because they were mad he was beating them politically and they were jealous of his sex life, and his sex life was none of our bi business.

My economic attitudes became outdated. Work is not available to most of those willing and able like it was back in the day and even if you got one, there is not a guarantee of keeping it, and there won't be a pension to retire on.

For a while, I was similar to VegatableMan voting for a lot of third-party candidates and writing in people. In light of the ongoing coup, I might vote for a local Republican but will vote Democrat for state and national office. The state decides who the electors are and most Republican Governers and state legislators are going to their dammest to guarantee it's a Republican be it, Trump or anybody else. And if I vote for Republican congressmen that person is likely to refuse to certify a non-Republican result. I will vote for the Dem fully expecting disastrous policies and plenty of illiberalism of their own. But as gut-wrenching of a choice as it is the times demand a choice.

As far as the future if the coup fails and some sort of sanity returns I will hold any coup participant or enabler against them forever. I will probably return to the third parties and write-ins, but we will see.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 8:10 am

Further right

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 8:25 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've always been to the right due to the fact that I'm Pro-life.

I was probably pro-life at one point, but now I’m pro-choice.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 10:11 am

I was liberal when I was younger but now I'm currently wedged between conservative and liberal.

The main reason for the change over the years is I've become more switched on to economics and social leanings of people in my age group and just don't like it.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 1:39 pm

I now believe that America should abolish the federal reserve and we should get back on the gold standard.I now believe we should have similar alcohol laws as the 1790's.I now believe that alcohol should be sold everywhere in the country and thats a big switch for me politically.I no longer believe in dry cities and dry counties.I have now become a Christian Communist.I used to be your typical establishment Republican but now I am a MAGA Radical Right type of Republican.I have now become ultraconservative.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 19 Aug 2022, 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 2:16 pm

More skeptical of utopians.
Lost any optimism about violent revolution as a viable path, too many drawbacks both in the short-term and long-term.
More cynical about states while less certain about if a stateless system can even really exist.

I don't believe a perfect system can exist; I don't believe an ideal system can be a single goal, but instead is more of an ongoing process. You can't draft out an ideal system for future generations, at best you can give them a framework for addressing the pressing issues of their day.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 2:19 pm

Was conservative as a child, mainly because my parents were conservative and I hadn't yet gotten around to questioning their views.

I began serious questioning in high school.

I college I became fairly radical left for a while.

Since my early-to-mid-twenties, I've been center-left (at least by U.S.A. standards).

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2022, 2:37 pm

I was raised in a strongly conservative household and I started off with inherited opinions.
Over time, I became much more pragmatic and kind of cauciously progressive. I'm aware that systems like states, societes and economies are way too complex for most of the simple "-isms" claiming to offer perfect solutions.

Right now I don't identify with any wing. I believe the main goal of governments is to manage the common good and seek working solutions to society-wide problems as they appear. That's probably Left for American standards but Center in Europe.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2022, 4:10 pm

Well I've spent almost my entire politically-aware lifetime posting on here, so long-term members will have seen most of my views as they shifted.

I started out as a generic centre-left type.

Became more left-wing and more liberal after a while here. I never had any tolerance for Marxism but I did briefly like the sound of anarchism. Generally though I didn't follow any particular school of thought, and instead developed my own absolutist principles to live by (absolute pacifism being the most foolish and extreme).

By 2013 or 2014 I was starting to shift rightward, which I blame on Viper and Dox :lol: I have become much more pro-business, much more sceptical of government intervention, much much more hawkish, and much more pro-US.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 4:34 pm

My political views began in high school.

It started with "Why should billionaires pay less taxes than poor people?"

Now it's grown to "I really really hate trickle down economics."

My parents are very conservative and they don't know that. I'm good at keeping a low liberal profile in front of them.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 5:15 pm

Further left

Grew up in a center-right house. Both parents were Republican, but never really socially conservative. I've moved left as I've gotten more perspective on life. Both parents have moved left with the times. Mother does not vote Republican, and father is appalled at the direction the party has taken. Dad has libertarian leanings as well. I have fallen out with libertarianism, but he still gave me a healthy skepticism toward government.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides