Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2022, 12:50 am

I'm back on my medication. I don't really want to be though. But I have to. My parents bring up the hospital. I dont think I want to go there. I've got so many appointments though. I do not really want that.

I want to have freedom. But instead I have close supervision. My sister hangs out with her friends all the time. I'm not really allowed to do that unless my parents meet them. I'm not allowed to go out late either.

I'm not allowed to sleep over at friends houses. That's probably why I dont have many friends. I have restrictions placed on me. I'm apparently not being reasonable when I try to do what I want.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Sep 2022, 3:02 am

I'm wondering how old you are & how old your sister is for comparison's sake. As you probably know those of us on the spectrum or with other various mental issues can be very behind our peers with some things or get into trouble sometimes which can cause others to treat us like we're children even if we're older. However treating us too much like kids can delay or hinder our mental growth. It's kinda a balancing act that parents of more normal kids can struggle with. I know parents & teens are stereotyped to have arguments where the parents say "if you want to quit being treated like a child you need to quit acting like one" & the teen responds with "if you want me to quit acting like a child you need to quit treating me like one". Those arguments just go round in circles & seem like a catch 22 situation. Anyways... it may help to try & prove/show to your parents that you are learning to be more responsible. Try to avoid getting in trouble, try & bite your tongue more so to speak instead of arguing with them or giving them a bad attitude, try & help out more around the house & other such things. It'll be a gradual process & easy to get discouraged but it would pay off in the long run if you try & stick with it as best you can.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2022, 11:18 am

For me, assertion has been my biggest hurdle because I've been living on family property since my mom died. I pay what's asked of me but its always held over my head how lucky I am not to be on the street and how they make sacrifices for me. Its both true and untrue because I've been manipulated into playing more than my share on some bills on top of my personal bills. They treat me like I'm different while pressuring me to back like them. So standing up for myself is only met with silent treatment, backbiting, and gas lighting. And I can't afford to move out yet so I'm trying to be as accommodating, understanding and subjective as possible. I'm so confused. Prayer helps though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 11:39 am

Which skills are holding you back?
Is it more about emotional function, executive function, decision making, practical skills, or safety?
Do you have a history of making dangerous choices when you're not supervised?
Has a doctor or therapist said that you require constant supervision?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm just trying to see where you might want to start.
Do you have any interest in service animals?

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2022, 2:29 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Which skills are holding you back?
Is it more about emotional function, executive function, decision making, practical skills, or safety?
Do you have a history of making dangerous choices when you're not supervised?
Has a doctor or therapist said that you require constant supervision?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm just trying to see where you might want to start.
Do you have any interest in service animals?

It seems to be all of them. I have a really hard time controlling my emotions and communicating how I feel. I have a hard time with hygeine. I dont know how I am with decision making. I guess I've made bad decisions. I'm not great at learning new things. I have a hard time reading people. I also dont like going out.

I tend to talk to people online when I'm alone. I've entered romances with people. I've met people in person. I talk too much and open up too much. I like it though. I feel like I have friends. It concerns other people. I just have such a hard time making good impressions on people. My parents want me to meet people. That's intimidating. I feel better talking to people online. I quit taking my medication a lot. But I just get annoyed by it. They want to make sure I take it. I want to get off all medication one day. People think I'm being irresponsible.

My doctor agrees with my family. I haven't seen a psychiatrist or therapist for a while. I'm just frustrated with everything, like I want to tell my side of the story without being shutdown.

I have thought about that. I have a dog that I love very much. He has a very good bond with me.