Interesting discussion on male mental health

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 7:33 am

This is a risky post but I'm popping it up here anyway because the guy's going in-depth in a way that I rarely hear talked about regarding the ways in which gender norms and dynamics and the ways in which they're enforced are doing a constant looping cascade of damage to both men and women, and bringing up the male side of the experience in the context that it's the part of the equation that's more opaque. The title of the video is 'The Emotional Objectification of Men' but it really opens the box on all kinds of things that cascade around it.

One of the things he starts the conversation with is a recent Tumblr post written by a transman about seeing a much colder world and being treated as a potential predator - all the time - after transition.

One takeaway - I think he's done a better job than anyone I've listened to for a while in making a case that yeah, there is a patriarchy, if one can frame it right it's not an apex fallacy but one can talk about the apex as the problem. It's been my view for quite a while as well that global civilization has been held captive by dark triad personality types and they're a big part of why women have to constantly be wary of any men they don't know in their vicinity and why there's probably something like a 10000% friendly fire rate received by most men most of the time because 3% are poisoning the well of any communication.

The really important message here is the self-reinforcing feedback loops between genders and, if someone's morally reprehensible enough, they'll do what they can to kick these loops up higher to divide, conquer, and enslave whoever they can. You get these people who spent their days in a bib dropping spoons, getting their parents to pick them up, seeing they had power over their parents, and figuring out who else they could control and how. They're going to help us go extinct this century or next considering AI, synthetic biology, etc. if we're not careful enough to take serious steps in decreasing their capacities.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 9:51 pm

The amazing thing about the patriarchy and traditional gender roles is that although men do suffer under them, they are willing to defend the patriarchy and are using their suffering as an argument to shut up people who are advocating for changing the order.

I still don't understand how male suicide rates are supposed to be an argument for why women should stop campaigning for equal pay. You'd think men, being almost half of the population, were on average of average intelligence...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 10:22 pm

shlaifu wrote:
The amazing thing about the patriarchy and traditional gender roles is that although men do suffer under them, they are willing to defend the patriarchy and are using their suffering as an argument to shut up people who are advocating for changing the order.

I still don't understand how male suicide rates are supposed to be an argument for why women should stop campaigning for equal pay. You'd think men, being almost half of the population, were on average of average intelligence...

The only reason I stay out of that one is I know there's a significant factor or preference for career field that skews the data and a lot of politics gets played with the numbers. Wherever a man and a woman are doing the same job for different pay and it's explainable by no other factors like time in a given field or company then something's clearly wrong (and there are things like NBA, NFL, etc. where the market's going to skew one way or Only Fans where it's going to skew another).

I mostly worry about holding the Nate Hagens vision, ie. the Great Simplification coming no matter what, vs. Peter Thiel's big concerns (around Rene Girard) of what happens if growth stops - ie. all hell breaking loose, and yet we're trying to grow at 2% a year forever on a finite planet with increasingly difficult to reach and more expensive oil attempting to keep the party going. We'd need to utterly break the current game theory where multipolar traps almost always win or outstrip / outspeed governance and get to a point where triggering multipolar traps can't be a winning game theory anymore.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 11:44 pm

A Really Great Aspect of Increasing Emotional Intelligence

By Regulating Emotions and Integrating Senses as Both Work

Hand-in-Hand to Become a Master Greater That Colors Our Lives

Within Is Yes

Just That With
Really No Concern
About This or That
Political Or Economic Malady

At Least for Eternally Now And
True in Doing So Becoming Naked
Enough Yes Whole Complete Generating

Happiness Within the Worries Disappear
At Least For Now And Sure it Usually Takes

Financial Independence For Always Now Including
What Some Folks Term As Past and Future Now too...

i Feel Sorry For Men Who Don't Make The Embodiment
of Emotional Regulation And Sensory Integration Their Main

Way of Life As Truly At Least For me i No Longer LiVE iN A World

of Grey SHades
Thru BLack Abyss SouL

With the Kind of Depression
That 40 Percent of College Age
Folks Are Assessed With Impacting
Their Ability to Function in Day-to-Day Life

And 60 Percent of College Age Folks assessed
With Anxiety Severe Enough to Impact Daily Functioning too...

Actually, in this Case Young Women Are Seen As Suffering Most

As It's True What Was Once the Advantage Described in 'The Video'

of How Women Socially Bond Easier than Men Isn't Necessarily A Reality

in This World of
Connecting Online
And Disconnecting the
Most Offline Still As A Virtual Reality

Cold and Alone as Up to 72 Percent
of Generation Z Feels This Way and A Very
High Percentage of Millennials As Well Meanwhile

Trump And His Republican Minions Have Made A Parody

Out of the So-Called Patriarchy Where They Call A Most Conservative
White Christian Male Dominated Organization Like the FBI Nazi's and the Such as that

From Folks Like Senator Scott Another Former 'Idiot Governor' of Florida As Far As Human Soul Goes too

It's True When The
Embodiment of the
Regulation of Emotional
Intelligence And Sensory Integration Falls Apart

So Do Humans; Yes, Overall as A Society True...

Lots Of Economic Prosperity Overall in the United States Still

Yet It's True Money and Stuff Will Never Be Human Enough to Fill and Feel A Human Soul For Real...

Yawn, Focusing on Emotional And Sensory Intelligences i Naturally Find My Self More Masculine Than
Ever in A Balance With the 'Divine Feminine' of Balance in Grace With Love As A Foundation Enough

For Greatest

WiLL and
Strength

to Make me
And So Many of
mY FRiEnDS Happy
on A Day-To-Day Basis
Both Online and Offline too...

Before that i Was Mostly Described
As A Computer Brain and A Stuffed Shirt

Indeed 'Sheldon Cooper' as An Athletic
Director of a Military Installation Truly

Hilarious Hehe

For Everyone

Yet me then...

However, Now i Do me

And Let Other Folks Do them too..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:36 am

I think that this is a discussion that we need to have more of. There needs to be more awareness.