Judge blocks DeSantis's "Stop Woke Act'

Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 12:26 am

Well I think it's stupid that all white people are born racist as there is not enough evidence to support this. But I think most reasonable people would conclude that has been plenty of racism in other races throughout history. I mean it seems to me that Americans cannot get over race relations in the US, so is the only solution is to make arrangements for all the white people to go back to Europe, all the black people to go back to Africa, all the Latin people, to back to the Latino America, etc, and give the Indigenous Americans all their land back, and hopefully Americans can be done with it all perhaps?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 12:29 am

What they mean by all white people being racist is they are talking about our ignorance and naivety on racism. It is up for us to educate ourselves about it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:44 am

ironpony wrote:
Well I think it's stupid that all white people are born racist as there is not enough evidence to support this. But I think most reasonable people would conclude that has been plenty of racism in other races throughout history.

The problem is not about who is most racist. e,g. I strongly suspect east Asian people are just as racist as white people. The point is fixing our own backyward before pointing fingers.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 11:29 pm

I just don't see how it could be fixed though. There are always going to be racist people here and there in the world, and it's not like anyone can stop that, unless you somehow manage to brainwash those people, literally, or kill them off.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 3:19 am

ironpony wrote:
I just don't see how it could be fixed though. There are always going to be racist people here and there in the world, and it's not like anyone can stop that, unless you somehow manage to brainwash those people, literally, or kill them off.

Oh I agree it won't be fixed.
The next generation of teens are just as bad as their parents
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ra ... e-n1251675

But you make them accountable. They are less likely to act on their prejudice if they are caught. Shine a torch or open the curtains and you kill of the mould. Acts of racism and discrimination will become a thing of the past as systems catch those trying to exercise their privilege to harm others. That's why De Santis is a gutter slug for his anti-woke act as it's designed to attack those trying to stamp out racism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 4:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
Acts of racism and discrimination will become a thing of the past

Do you really believe that?

No way. Not that we should give up, this problem is manageable, not more. You may tamp it down for a while but the good people will always get complacent and the bad people will always find a way to circumvent your once effective suppression techniques. And overcorrection will create hate where it did not exist and deepen existing hate. That is human nature and fear of difference is primal human nature.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 5:08 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Do you really believe that?.

It's happening already, We are not talking about vigilanteism. Anti-terror laws mean that if you post something pro-ISIS or pro-Al Qaeda you automatically get on the radar of national security agencies.

People who engage in racism or bullying online can be similarly bought to justice. People who engage in racist acts can be caught on camera and lose their job or go to jail.

All that's left will be ranting behind closed doors and microaggressions

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 11:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Do you really believe that?.

It's happening already, We are not talking about vigilanteism. Anti-terror laws mean that if you post something pro-ISIS or pro-Al Qaeda you automatically get on the radar of national security agencies.

People who engage in racism or bullying online can be similarly bought to justice. People who engage in racist acts can be caught on camera and lose their job or go to jail.

All that's left will be ranting behind closed doors and microaggressions

We are managing terrorism, not ending it.

People will find a way to be more subtle about it, and find loopholes in the laws as they always have and they always will. Germany for obvious reasons has some of the worlds strictest anti hate speech laws and yet. In response governments can close the loopholes and increase consequences and the cycle goes on.

There is a way to get it down to not zero but near zero. An efficient surveillance and punishment state that prohibits anything the government deems hate speech. That solution is worse then problem it intends to fix. And that does not take into account the inevitable morphing of “hate speech” into whatever is not in the government officials personal interest.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 11:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

But you make them accountable. They are less likely to act on their prejudice if they are caught. Shine a torch or open the curtains and you kill of the mould. Acts of racism and discrimination will become a thing of the past as systems catch those trying to exercise their privilege to harm others. That's why De Santis is a gutter slug for his anti-woke act as it's designed to attack those trying to stamp out racism.

But what counts as an act of racism? That's very loosely defined, so how do you make it illegal? Racism is hate, and people are allowed to hate whoever they want, so wouldn't the law need to get more specific?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 1:38 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, what kind of types of training?

The type that teaches that all white people are born racist and need to spend their lives atoning for it, for example.

I actually had to attend a training session like that.

Did the training do the opposite of what it was supposed to do? Aka, did it make you feel you were being accused?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 1:50 am

These people who are teaching that all white people are born racist... what race would most of these people be, who are teaching this?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 1:53 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
People will find a way to be more subtle about it, and find loopholes in the laws as they always have and they always will. Germany for obvious reasons has some of the worlds strictest anti hate speech laws

If the US didn't change laws we would still have lynchings...Oh wait...
https://www.npr.org/2022/03/29/10867205 ... ed-efforts

Looks MAGAs tried to block that law till 2022

No wonder De Satan is so "hell bent" (pardon the pun) on blocking progressives
If it looks likes a duck. waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck...quite likely it's a duck

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 1:55 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
People will find a way to be more subtle about it, and find loopholes in the laws as they always have and they always will. Germany for obvious reasons has some of the worlds strictest anti hate speech laws

If it looks likes a duck. waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck...quite likely it's a duck

Well lynching is murder. At least murder is a much more specific criminal charge, than 'racism'.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 1:55 am

ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

But what counts as an act of racism? That's very loosely defined, so how do you make it illegal? Racism is hate, and people are allowed to hate whoever they want, so wouldn't the law need to get more specific?

Racism is a fairly insidious form of bullying. But for me all bullying results in either mental and/physical trauma.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 1:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Racism is a fairly insidious form of bullying. But for me all bullying results in either mental and/physical trauma.

That makes sense. But I guess under the law people are allowed to be a$Gholes to one another, if all they are doing is just talking trash to one another, unless they can somehow make that illegal?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 1:57 am

ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Well lynching is murder. At least murder is a much more specific criminal charge, than 'racism'.

It's largely associated with the lynching African Americans. Why don't you listen to the lyrics of the song by Billie Halliday called "Strange Fruit". She experienced her own family getting lynched.