Judge blocks DeSantis's "Stop Woke Act'

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 11:52 am

Judge blocks DeSantis’s ‘Stop WOKE Act,’ says Florida feels like a ‘First Amendment upside down’

Quote:
A federal judge on Thursday blocked portions of a Florida law restricting how workplaces and schools can discuss race during required training or instruction championed by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R).

U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida Chief Judge Mark Walker issued a preliminary injunction blocking the private employer provisions in the law, known as the “Stop WOKE Act,” saying it violates free speech protections under the First Amendment and that it violates the Fourteenth Amendment’s Due Process Clause for being impermissibly vague.

“Recently, Florida has seemed like a First Amendment upside down,” Walker wrote in the ruling, comparing the law to the fictional “upside down” in the Netflix series “Stranger Things.”

“Normally, the First Amendment bars the state from burdening speech, while private actors may burden speech freely,” the Obama-appointed judge continued. “But in Florida, the First Amendment apparently bars private actors from burdening speech, while the state may burden speech freely.”

DeSantis’s office said they will appeal the decision.

“Judge Walker has effectively ruled that companies have a First Amendment right to instruct their employees in white supremacy,” said Taryn Feske, DeSantis’s communications director. “We disagree and will be appealing his decision.”

The law prevents workplaces from requiring employees to attend any activity that violates any of eight concepts, like instilling that someone bears “personal responsibility” for historic wrongdoings because of their race, color, sex or national origin.

Under the first amendment, employers can mandate white supremacy. Such a company would not need many employees considering they would lose 98 percent of their customers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 10:47 pm

the preoccupation these GOP leaders have with fighting equality, How dare they pretend to be christians.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 10:51 pm

I'll be happy when the woke movement is over.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 11:26 pm

I'll be happy when the faux outrage is over

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 1:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
the preoccupation these GOP leaders have with fighting equality, How dare they pretend to be christians.

WOKE is secular humanism which is Antichristian. But you might not understand what I'm saying because of the erroneous manner in which woke redefines Christianity.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 1:27 am

cyberdad wrote:

So, in addition to claiming to know America better than Americans, you're now claiming to know Christianity better than Christians? That's positively Trumpian in both asininity and audacity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 2:10 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

So, in addition to claiming to know America better than Americans, you're now claiming to know Christianity better than Christians? That's positively Trumpian in both asininity and audacity.

Sure, I was a practicing christian for a number of years.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 2:17 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Does he also know autism better than autistics?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 2:20 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Certain level of arrogance assuming your lived experience means you are qualified to speak on behalf of every autistic person :roll:

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 3:01 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Certain level of arrogance assuming your lived experience means you are qualified to speak on behalf of every autistic person :roll:

Non sequitur.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 4:31 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Non sequitur.

Let me put it this way then.

If you have met one person with autism, you have met one person with autism. Just like with NTs there is no hive mind.

I don't claim to know your autism better than you do...but that doesn't mean you know more than I do about any other person with autism.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 6:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Non sequitur.

If you have met one person with autism, you have met one person with autism. Just like with NTs there is no hive mind.

I don't claim to know your autism better than you do...but that doesn't mean you know more than I do about any other person with autism.

I thought you Aussies were better at taking a little ribbing.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 6:55 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'll be happy when the woke movement is over.

Sam Harris seemed very confident that it will be over soon. IIRC he gave it 5 more years, anticipating that it would collapse under the weight of some ridiculous cause or assertion that would result in the majority of the movement's supporters disassociating themselves from it, or claiming to have never have supported it in the first place.... or something like that.

Perhaps the seeds have already been sown with the growing endorsement of MAPs and sections of the LGB community now seeking to split away from and oppose T+.

He did concede that Trump being re-elected would likely prolong its' shelf life.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 8:38 pm

This is dumb, what about when work places require their employers to take courses on sexual harrassment? Why is this any different?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 1:44 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Non sequitur.

I thought you Aussies were better at taking a little ribbing.

Just covering myself...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 1:45 am

League_Girl wrote:
This is dumb, what about when work places require their employers to take courses on sexual harrassment? Why is this any different?

Does De Santis have daughters?