I want to learn everything about science. But ı do not know

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Raven
Raven

20 Aug 2022, 4:46 am

When I was trying to choose a career in the past, I enrolled psychology department. Then I discovered that it is not suitable for me and I chose the psychological counseling and guidance department. But I discovered that this also was not fit for me. But I did not want to leave this as I did before. Instead, I get contact with some academicians and managers to attend the classes of computer engineering, they said I can attend classes and even can take exams, but they also said ı am not going to get a diploma for it. I accepted. But after two years ı gave this up too. But I am interested in AI and computer engineering.

I want to learn everything about science. But ı do not know what to do.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Aug 2022, 6:08 am

Carl Friedrich Gauss wrote:
I want to learn everything about science.

Accept it's impossible. There's too much science around for one lifetime.

Do you want to learn science or do you want to learn about science? That's a significant difference. The latter is called philosophy of science but courses of it are rarely satisfactory.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 6:37 am

I wish we could go light years away. I wonder if our laws of physics would apply at the Andromeda Galaxy.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Aug 2022, 7:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish we could go light years away. I wonder if our laws of physics would apply at the Andromeda Galaxy.
So far, behavior of stars of Andromeda are consistent with known physics.

I'm more curious about Proxima Centauri B. I wonder if humanity can afford a flyby probe in my lifetime.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 8:13 am

magz wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
So far, behavior of stars of Andromeda are consistent with known physics.

I'm more curious about Proxima Centauri B. I wonder if humanity can afford a flyby probe in my lifetime.

Yes. The same physics apply to the entire observable universe as here. There maybe some galaxy far away, made of dark matter, or made of anti matter, in which time runs backward. Or when this universe stops expanding and goes into reverse and has the big crunch --and gets remade then...we might get different 'laws of physics' in the next universe. But familar old Andromeda is in our own local group of galaxies right in our own backyard. Its not going to be THAT exotic.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2022, 9:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I think so... but what physics apply here? HD3167, happens to be first ever solar system observed (by us) with planets on perpendicular orbits. Such a contrary and unique system immediately made me think of the neurodiversity spectrum.

Ok it does, well they *think* there might be an other planet influencing the system. Maybe not though? 150 light years is a long way to travel to find out though!

I actually like the idea of it so much, been wondering whether we could get it named for us!

#3167HD4Diversity #Star4ASD #Star4ND

Not just a crappy bought name, but full on recognition from IAU because we as neurodiverse people don't have a cultural attachment to any star, but I can't think of any star more appropriate!

More on why I think it is cool and stuff, and more images, and a petition even!
https://diverse4.me/astro-diversity/

This is another of my attempts at drawing it, deliberately skewed now...

Kind of semi-off-topic, I know, but I had just posted something about it elsewhere on here :roll:

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 3:13 pm

Carl Friedrich Gauss wrote:
I want to learn everything about science. But ı do not know what to do.
Pick up a science book and read it.

Used college textbooks on General Science are best, in my opinion. They are cheap and easy to read.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sciency_Owen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2022, 2:33 am

If you are unsure of where your specific interests lie in science, you can always access the Randall Munroe books What if?, How to, and What if 2?, which feature a variety of questions in a variety of scientific disciplines, and so you can see what you find yourself most interested in.

Another option is a cheap yearly subscription to CuriosityStream. This website has many documentaries in many scientific disciplines, so you can decide what you are particularly interested in.

After that, most information on specific disciplines within science can be found online with the likes of Khan Academy and other educational services. You can read books as well, but then the difficult aspect is the cost of all of the books. To combat the cost of the books, you could access local libraries, though in my experience they are not as well stocked for the physical sciences compared to the biological sciences.

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2022, 3:28 am

Math, AI and physics etc. I am going to learn them via online courses.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2022, 3:11 am

oh do u know about Moocs too? They're kinda new and awesome.

mooc.org

About MOOCs
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) are free online courses available for anyone to enroll. MOOCs provide an affordable and flexible way to learn new skills, advance your career and deliver quality educational experiences at scale.

Millions of people around the world use MOOCs to learn for a variety of reasons, including: career development, changing careers, college preparations, supplemental learning, lifelong learning, corporate eLearning & training, and more.

MOOCs have dramatically changed the way the world learns. Ready to get started?

New! Browse 3,000+ Online Courses

---

Maths & AI are hard... except I'm beginning to realise that perhaps what made them hard for *me* at Uni was my ADHD + ASD.

Got dx for ADHD in 2nd year, but ASD only recently.

In first year Maths, i only managed a few weeks of lectures before I quite them for good, although I went to all the tutorials, where attendance was compulsory and we had alternating tests every two weeks for Algebra and Calculus.

Looking back I think I found some lecture halls exponentially harder to be present in.

Part of the problem was I only did 3 outta 4 units maths in High school
(at the time, were many diff streams of maths here lemme see

Maths in Society (colloquially math in space)
General Maths
2u Maths
3u Math -extra 2hrs a week and more intense
4u Math -extra 4hrs and more )

but there were some other subjects/places I just hated to go to learn. Hmmmmm

Funnily enough, not the huge 1000 seater auditorium I did Psychology in.

Though recently I have been thinking rather than doing Comp Sci & Civil Engineering, I should have just done philosophy.

Argghgh!

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2022, 3:24 am

For learning math, try brilliant.org.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2022, 6:51 am

Diverse4Me wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I think so... but what physics apply here? HD3167, happens to be first ever solar system observed (by us) with planets on perpendicular orbits. Such a contrary and unique system immediately made me think of the neurodiversity spectrum.

Ok it does, well they *think* there might be an other planet influencing the system. Maybe not though? 150 light years is a long way to travel to find out though!

I actually like the idea of it so much, been wondering whether we could get it named for us!

#3167HD4Diversity #Star4ASD #Star4ND

Not just a crappy bought name, but full on recognition from IAU because we as neurodiverse people don't have a cultural attachment to any star, but I can't think of any star more appropriate!

More on why I think it is cool and stuff, and more images, and a petition even!
https://diverse4.me/astro-diversity/

This is another of my attempts at drawing it, deliberately skewed now...

Kind of semi-off-topic, I know, but I had just posted something about it elsewhere on here :roll:

That is interesting- that other solar systems have planets orbiting perpendicular to each other. In our own solar system the planets all orbit the sun in (more or less) the same plane as each other, and (more or less) in the same plane as the equator of the Sun. The rocky planets (including earth), the gas giants (Jupiter and Saturn), and the ice giants (Uranus and Neptune) all have orbits that tilt only a few degrees off from each other.

Pluto tilts a lot more though. And it gets weirder as you go out from Pluto. Transneptunian dwarf planet cousins of Pluto that they keep finding even farther out have angled orbits. And comets come into the solar system from every crazy angle.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 4:42 pm

"Self improvement" is always a good goal.

"I want to know more about science" is something you can always do.
"I want to be a life long learner" is an obtainable goal, all you have to do is never stop learning.

My kids like to watch shows which make science easy to understand.

The Magic School Bus (we own the entire first series on DVD) s a great show.

My oldest son always asks for science DVDs for his birthday and other special gift giving days.
He especially likes BBC Earth and related material.

There are two ways to learn about AI: learn about the people who are studying AI and what they are doing, and learn about the human brain.

You can also look on google and youtube for information about science, but there is a lot of good information and also a lot of untrustworthy information.

When I was young, before there was an internet I went to the library often. There are lots of good books on science there.

Now libraries have DVDs too, and many other ways to learn.

Another way to learn is by doing.

google "diy science project" and see what you can find.