Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 11:37 am

Urgent update for macOS and iOS! Two actively exploited zero-days:
Users are under advice to implement the updates as soon as possible, by upgrading to:
iOS 15.6.1
iPadOS 15.6.
macOS Monterey 12.5.1

Question: Are security vulnerabilities in Macs are mostly overblown?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 4:48 pm

MacOS is in perpetual "beta testing". Apple hasn't released a finished OS in a long time. I'm still a dedicated user, but I don't think the last 2 iterations of MacOS are stable, or secure enough for use. As for iOS? I haven't touched it since I got rid of my iPhone 4 so I couldn't tell you anything positive or negative about the later releases except to say that Apple puts grater emphasis on form over function, and is more willing than they have been in the past to shove something out the door (and deal with the fallout later, than to rigorously test and maybe hold-off on releasing something that's not ready.

One of the issues is that is "beta-testers" (typically fanpeople) aren't qualified to do beta-testing.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 7:49 pm

DanielW wrote:
MacOS is in perpetual "beta testing".

So that's where Microsoft got the idea from. Windows 10 was one huge beta test. I didn't even bother looking at 11. Looking for another OS now.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
Urgent update for macOS and iOS! Two actively exploited zero-days:

As Steve would say, don't use it like that! :lmao:

Mephitidae
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Oct 2022, 8:42 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
So that's where Microsoft got the idea from. Windows 10 was one huge beta test. I didn't even bother looking at 11. Looking for another OS now.

http://www.linuxmint.com -- ive been using it since i got frustrated with windows 7 when it was still somewhat new...

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 4:54 am

Mephitidae wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

http://www.linuxmint.com -- ive been using it since i got frustrated with windows 7 when it was still somewhat new...

I use Mint whenever I need a live Linux environment or a virtual machine with a desktop.

No, I'm not likely to run a Linux distro again. It's a been-there-done-that. I was a full-time Linux user for a couple of years between 2007 and 2009. When Windows 7 came out I happily switched back to Windows. Sometime around 2012 in college during a long evening at the prototyping lab working on my senior design for computer engineering, I had come to fully appreciate just how good of a workstation environment Windows 7 provided. I was juggling FPGA synthesis tools, IDEs, a JTAG programmer, Linux virtual machines, it was all ergonomic and everything worked! There were Sun Solaris workstations in the adjacent room doing (poorly) half the work of an all-in-one PC running Windows 7.
Sad Microsoft discontinued updates/support for it.

I'd be happy of ReactOS had a stable release and targeted the NT 6.x feature set.

I have yet to see a modern open source desktop I would actually want to use.

Mephitidae
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2022, 12:28 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I'd be happy of ReactOS had a stable release and targeted the NT 6.x feature set.

i actually prefer the server 2002 feature set they are going for.... newest version of windows i actually need due to ancient software that has no modern open source equivalent and has a very rough time running on anything -newer- than windows xp...

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2022, 4:17 pm

Mephitidae wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

i actually prefer the server 2002 feature set they are going for.... newest version of windows i actually need due to ancient software that has no modern open source equivalent and has a very rough time running on anything -newer- than windows xp...

Yeah but some of the old stuff doesn't work only because Microsoft is purposely not supporting those components of APIs. That doesn't mean you couldn't build a system like NT 6.x that had adequate backwards compatibility. In fact I kind of hope they will eventually support multiple driver interfaces, as these days it's already hard to find hardware that isn't surplus that has NT 5.x (Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003) drivers still, meaning if ReactOS will ever hope to run on real hardware outside of a virtual machine they will need to support NT 6.x drivers or newer (whichever WDDM versions those are).

Mephitidae
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2022, 6:16 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Yeah but some of the old stuff doesn't work only because Microsoft is purposely not supporting those components of APIs. That doesn't mean you couldn't build a system like NT 6.x that had adequate backwards compatibility.

this is true, but they need a stable and complete version of windows to start with so starting with nt5 then moving to nt6 makes sense, since all they have to do to get to the nt6 point is simply add to the already stable base...

and speaking of surplus hardware.. if you really think about it.. thats where reactos is going to be installed the most and be the most useful... at least at first...

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2022, 2:46 am

So I just learned of a new thing -- Linux Mint Debian edition. Basically Mint minus Canonical. I'm sure that comes with it's own sets of caveats regarding "non-free" software packages like browsers and drivers, but on the whole a very appealing concept.

Then again if it becomes hopelessly broken and out of date like sarge did way back in 2007, and without major updates for 5 years in 2010 when etch went from testing to stable. When you think of Slackware you might think old packages, but compared to the state of Debian way back in 2007 that was really not the case.
And the dependency loop deadlocks were absolute hell.

And Cinnamon desktop isn't expected to support Wayland anytime soon, and I won't use X11 again.