Page 38 of 38 [ 601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:15 am

cyberdad wrote:
Nades wrote:
What else could you possibly have meant?

No as I explained to Magz, his demeanour (look) is arrogant, not his appearance

Hmmm....OK.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Sep 2022, 4:17 am

Nades wrote:
What might have been his reasons for kicking up a stink though? We don't know much about this student or how he personally feels about said student and the use of pronouns.
If a teacher's personal feelings about a student make him in conflict with the school board and then with the law, teaching is not for him.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 5:05 am

Nades wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
It ends when the effort is taking from you what you don't have available to give. The line is different for everyone.

So I have to give until I'm empty? No, I reject that, I don't subordinate myself to others just because they claim some ailment, my good nature has been taken advantage of enough already.

I never said empty. I said "available to give." So you've pulled off all your own needs and priorities, including whatever excess you want for yourself, taken a layer for the beings and issues that matter most to you, and taken a look at what is left.

I'm aware that most individuals on the spectrum need to set aside a lot of time and energy for self-care, and hold back a really large reserve in case they end up having to navigate the unexpected. It shrinks the tank a lot; something my son and I have talked about frequently. But something like a pronoun use does not, for most people, cost anything at all. I find it very easily given, not much different than when I took the fraction of a section it took to realize Brictoria was male. But, if that isn't true for you, it isn't true for you.

I believe that when you invest time in people, it makes the world a better place and ends up coming around back. I invested large amounts of time with multiple members here back when I was moderator, you know I did, and it wasn't like I was sitting on extra time and energy at the time. Was I sucker for making that choice, given how many people that I dealt with did not believe in ever giving it back or paying it forward? Sometimes I felt like I was. But its about choosing the world we want to live in, the whole "do unto others as you'd have them do unto you" thing. I hope I never become so jaded I refuse to accept it is ever worth it. So. Am I a sucker?

What about people who by nature of a disorder feel like using a non-standard pronoun is the equivalent of singing a little song on its level of awkwardness?

In one of your other posts, I could sense the level of stress the thought of trying to remember an un-obvious pronoun was causing you. So the consideration of remembering a unusual pronoun would seem to be something you don't have available to give.

Can't is different than won't.

Hopefully this isn't something you will actually run into. I would assume that given the stresses you face, you aren't going to put yourself in a job where you constantly interact with a large variety of people. Choose your situations to meet your needs and reduce the odds of facing conflict.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 7:40 am

I work in a college with about 8,000 students. I work in its library.

I've yet to run into anybody who preferred a pronoun other than "he" or "she."

I'm certainly not preluding the possibility---but there's certainly not a "revolution" in this sort of thing going on.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 8:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I'm certainly not preluding the possibility---but there's certainly not a "revolution" in this sort of thing going on.

it helps to politically galvanise a certain section of society if the public actually believe that there is some kind of gender pronoun revolution going on. Like you, i have not come across anyone who doesn't want to be known by he or she (not that there aren't any, but its just nowhere near the level that some areas of the political media desperately want people to think it is)

itscomplicated
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2022, 8:50 am

Biscuitman wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

it helps to politically galvanise a certain section of society if the public actually believe that there is some kind of gender pronoun revolution going on. Like you, i have not come across anyone who doesn't want to be known by he or she (not that there aren't any, but its just nowhere near the level that some areas of the political media desperately want people to think it is)

agree

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 10:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I've run into a fair number of people who prefer singular "they" on autistic Twitter. (See my list of relevant Twitter hashtags here.) But that's a very specialized bubble, not representative of the world at large.

Jim Sinclair, one of the main founders of the autistic rights movement, used "xe" for a while (see Historicizing Jim Sinclair’s “Don’t Mourn for Us”: A Cultural and Intellectual History of Neurodiversity’s First Manifesto by Sarah Pripas-Kapit, 08 November 2019).

These days, I am under the impression that more and more intersex and nonbinary people are opting for singular "they" rather than totally new pronouns like "xe."

Singular "they" has a long history of being used in colloquial English to refer to persons of unknown gender. Until recently, singular "they" was considered incorrect in official guides to English grammar. But singular "they" has recently gained acceptance, e.g. in the MLA style guide.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 1:27 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

What makes it a social revolution is not how many people want to be called by these pronouns. The pronouns by themselves do not make it a revolution. What makes it a social revolution is all sorts of acceptance of a radical(in the literal meaning of the word radical) change in the definition of gender. Think about the two most radical movements of the last 100 years civil rights and feminism. They caused major changes in thinking and laws They are about ending discrimination against blacks and women, not changing the definition of what a black person or a woman is. So IMHO this is arguably the most radical social revolution in world history.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Ever wonder how overblown this issue is. It's a race to the bottom. which is a bigger witchunt?
CRT OR
Pronouns :roll: