This annoying stereotype about ASD should go away

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 7:07 pm

There is a stereotype that people with Autism Spectrum Disorder can't lie and manipulate others, but is it true for people like me?

Some people told me that there is no way I can have a developmental disorder, just because I became good at socializing, lying and manipulating others and I am very intelligent. I got confused by what they said, because I have had a diagnosis of PDD-NOS and upgraded Autism Spectrum Disorder for a long time now.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 7:14 pm

I can lie and manipulate people, the skill is there if I need it or want it. But I don't use it for evil, I just use it when needed. Lying isn't something I struggle with.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 7:15 pm

All Stereotypes are based on the fact that more people display a trait than those that do not. Stereotypes never have been absolutes. So the question of them going away isn't likely...whatever stereotypes they may be.

As they say...If you've met one Neurodiverse person...you've met one Neurodiverse person.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 7:41 pm

I don't understand why not being *good* at lying or manipulation, or not liking it, is supposed to be a *bad* thing.

Oh wait, politicians... :roll:

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 7:58 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't understand why not being *good* at lying or manipulation, or not liking it, is supposed to be a *bad* thing.

Due to my symptoms of Conduct Disorder Unspecified, I learned how to maliciously lie and manipulate others.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 8:16 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

I also don't understand that. I've always thought it was good to be honest.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 8:32 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I also don't understand that. I've always thought it was good to be honest.

Being honest is good, it is just you need to change your tactics, so you don't hurt other's feelings.

I learned how to be pathological liar, manipulator and also learned how to turn of my empathy if I wanted to.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 8:41 pm

Honesty isn't always good, especially these days where people become so offended easily and you just can't say anything unless it's politically approved. Yes, even on autism sites where they talk about preferring honesty. If I was 100% honest here, I would have been banned a long time ago.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 8:47 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Honesty isn't always good, especially these days where people become so offended easily and you just can't say anything unless it's politically approved. Yes, even on autism sites where they talk about preferring honesty. If I was 100% honest here, I would have been banned a long time ago.

That is not true, being honest is good, just don't be rude when being honest. You can ask people how they want to be treated.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 8:55 pm

People are rude all the time. I suppose it's OK when NTs do it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:00 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I was just going to say that. It's okay for NTs to be rude and angry, but it's a different story with us.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:03 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Being rude all the time is not healthy, that is not good social skill to have. And NO, it is NOT OKAY for NTs to do it, because that is what people with symptoms of Antisocial Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder do.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:04 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I was just going to say that. It's okay for NTs to be rude and angry, but it's a different story with us.

Then NTs need to learn social skills to mind their own business when we are angry, otherwise they don't have social skills themselves

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:08 pm

FranzOren wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Then NTs need to learn social skills to mind their own business when we are angry, otherwise they don't have social skills themselves

That makes sense.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:10 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Yes.
How many people on WP have had to deal with insolent NTs? How many people here have been publicly humiliated in the street? How many people here have been mistreated, bullied, insulted, etc, by their NT peers? Probably about 99% of us have.
I have just been laughed at on an NT Facebook group for expressing social anxiety about something because they couldn't put themselves in my shoes. They were rude and sarcastic and didn't seem to understand my feelings at all.

Usually Aspies justify foul NT behaviour as them "trying to reach the top of the social hierarchy" or "being insecure about themselves". But if an Aspie wants to reach the top of the social hierarchy or want to make others feel bad about themselves because we're insecure, even if we're aware we're doing it, oh dear we lack empathy.

Double standards. NTs inevitably say "you're weird!" to our faces and we have to accept it as something people will say, because we are weird or something. But if I didn't like, say, somebody's shoes, does that give me the right to yell "I don't like your shoes!" to their face?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:22 pm

Joe90 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Yes.
How many people on WP have had to deal with insolent NTs? How many people here have been publicly humiliated in the street? How many people here have been mistreated, bullied, insulted, etc, by their NT peers? Probably about 99% of us have.
I have just been laughed at on an NT Facebook group for expressing social anxiety about something because they couldn't put themselves in my shoes. They were rude and sarcastic and didn't seem to understand my feelings at all.

Usually Aspies justify foul NT behaviour as them "trying to reach the top of the social hierarchy" or "being insecure about themselves". But if an Aspie wants to reach the top of the social hierarchy or want to make others feel bad about themselves because we're insecure, even if we're aware we're doing it, oh dear we lack empathy.

Double standards. NTs inevitably say "you're weird!" to our faces and we have to accept it as something people will say, because we are weird or something. But if I didn't like, say, somebody's shoes, does that give me the right to yell "I don't like your shoes!" to their face?

I don't call them NTs at this point, they have ASPD and NPD traits. Lack of empathy and remorse, and violating the rights of others is a symptom of ASPD and NPD. A true NT would not do that.

I wanted to say that I have been bullied by some autistic people that don't have symptoms of ASD that I have and they acted like you said. I don't understand why it is NTs most of the time when even some people from our neurology can bully as as well, it is not just NTs that bully us.